Paralysed Jaw

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramborichter

Reaction score
Need some advice. I have a 2 year old Diamond which appears to have developed a partial paralysed jaw. I recently noticed that when the mouth is closed, the left side lower jaw/mouth tends to hang down/open. It has also stopped eating - it will constrict as normal, then appear to start eating but then drop the food and move away. Closer inspection, it appears as if the snake has no control over the left side of the mouth.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Ok, so took the snake to David Vella. Turns out its gut is full of parasites, therefore not eating. Still not sure about the mouth, but vet seem to think it has something to do with the parasites. Considering I have another 4 pythons, all in good health, not sure how this one got all these parasites. After 4 days in hospital, appears Dangerous is going to be OK.

Just get stool samples of all your others off to David to check as well, good to nip it in the bud. was the diamond wild caught or did you feed it a food item that was live or freshly killed? What parasite did it have?

If you have ever given it fresh killed food then Id say thats how, did you get the rest of your snakes tested?

Wow, thanks for all the responses - much appreciated. Good idea to have all the stools tested - will do that. As to wild caught, I suspect it was wild caught - I purchased it from a person with a license but in comparison to my other snakes this one is way more wild than the others. Also, this snake would not take frozen, so intially fed live and slowly got it onto frozen. All my others are on frozen. Not sure what parasite, but will find out when I collect on Thursday or Friday. Again, thanks to all for your advice and suggestions - much appreciated!!!!!

Wow, thanks for all the responses - much appreciated. Good idea to have all the stools tested - will do that. As to wild caught, I suspect it was wild caught - I purchased it from a person with a license but in comparison to my other snakes this one is way more wild than the others. Also, this snake would not take frozen, so intially fed live and slowly got it onto frozen. All my others are on frozen. Not sure what parasite, but will find out when I collect on Thursday or Friday. Again, thanks to all for your advice and suggestions - much appreciated!!!!!

Just because it's 'more wild' means nothing. Scrubbies are placid in the wild mental in captivity.

Snakes have diffirent personalities and it means absolutely nothing if it's more aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back