Patiently help a newbie - Olive Python behaviour ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trev.2530

Reaction score
on the subject of stubid newbie questions I may be asking for trouble but I have a male olive python 2.5yrs old and over 2metres long very healthy good feeder and great handler...

now it has never bitten or constricted or even tried... until 2 months ago. I have watched him and he seems to have a disliking for my 2yr old daughter who loves the snake.
I only ever let her touch the lower half of the body while I was handling it.

2 months ago I had my python over my shoulders as I was making a new feeding enclosure when my daughter came up beside me. I didnt really think about it, she was happy playing with her pram when my snake struck her twice and as I pulled it away it struck my arm over 10 times but didnt constrict my arm.
my question is why did it strike and why is it aggressive around her? and is it normal for olive bites to not hurt considering their size?

by the way it had a large feed 5 days prior...

Last edited by a moderator:
My big coastal girl does that from time to time. I reckon its the time of the year. Also need to think about the old description of a "wild animal" you can never ever truly domesticate a snake.

As for the lack of pain. Usually lack of pain but loads of blood. If it wasn't a feeding response then it was defensive. Did your Daughter make a sudden move or something.

Sound like you may have been lucky. Hope she wasn't hurt

she was fine. cried for 30secs I think she was more startled about her mothers reaction.

and i dont think she did anything to startle the snake I have read alot about olives so I know it sounds stupid but it was as if it was defensive about me (like I was an enclosure or something) because although it happened so quick the snake moved into position to strike her.

he had never bitten anyone before and i have passed him between my mates and handle him myself in excess of 2-3hrs at a time, on an odd occasion ive handled him all day without him getting stressed or snappy.
even the vet told me he had a great temperment for an olive.

maybe its her smell... I really cant think what else. considering he is always watching my daughter in and out of his enclosure.

It could be any number of things that triggered the bite, such as her smell, size, the way she moves, you will probably never know for sure. Either way I wouldn't be letting a 2yo near an olive python no matter how tame it is.

i try to be more aware about whats happening around me when I have him out now. it was definitely a real wake up call. the only time she is allowed near the snake now is when its in the enclosure.

just curious does you enclosure have a lock if not highly recommend one because for me if someone says no you get the urge to do it anyway well thats how it was when i was a kid.

Nick

it could be any manner of things, you said she was not noisy but was she moving a lot or fast? it could be her smell, her size, movement etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back