patternless smooth knob tailed geckos?

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Womagaunt, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womagaunt

    Womagaunt Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    so i was just scrolling through the 'for sale' section of the forum and noticed a guy was selling patternless smooth knob tailed geckos, he was also selling 100% het for patternless knob tails as well and wanted to know what does it mean when he says 100% het for patternless, does it mean if you say put two together and they mate will you produce patternless knob tails or is this something that cannot be reproduced?, also are patternless knob tails common in the reptile trade because this is the first time ive ever seen one? also just wanted to note that im not buying them just wanted to know abit about the patternless part, and also are there any other morphs?
    Cheers :)
     
  2. lizardjasper

    lizardjasper Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2008
    Messages:
    668
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cental QLD
    I think this one's directed at you Frog1974...
     
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. Womagaunt

    Womagaunt Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    yeah thats the guy haha :) but yeah just wanted to know abit about colour morphs and the patternless knob tail :)
     
  4. mad_at_arms

    mad_at_arms Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2011
    Messages:
    1,799
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Burn City
  5. Womagaunt

    Womagaunt Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
  6. Flaviruthless

    Flaviruthless Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1,203
    Likes Received:
    0
    With simple recessive genetic traits (i.e. albinism) in order to express the trait (i.e. in order for you to be able to see it) the animal needs to have two copies of the same mutation (it has to be homozygous - AA or aa). The 'het' refers to the term heterozygous which means it carries one recessive and one 'normal' gene (in this example Aa). When you pair het animals you get a 25% chance of getting an animal that expresses the recessive trait, 50% will be carriers and 25% will be normal and not carry any recessive traits.
     
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  7. Womagaunt

    Womagaunt Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney NSW
    alright cheers :)
     
  8. KPCGL

    KPCGL Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    north Queensland, Australia
    if u breed 2 het for paternless together and from memory dont geckos only have 2 eggs how will the % rate work then? is it only a 25% chance of getting a paternless
     
  9. Thyla

    Thyla Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney
    It's only a 25% chance of getting a patternless. So out of every two clutches (4 eggs total), you should get 1 patternless. It may not turn out like this, you can always get all 4 patternless (unlikely), or all normal/wildtype (also unlikely).

    Other Smooth Knob-tailed morphs include albino and hypomelanistic.

    The patternless or "jellybean" morph was first bred approximately 4 or 5 years ago. They are in the hands of a number of knob-tailed breeders by now. I recently purchased 2x hets from the man in question and they are very healthy looking animals.
     
  10. KPCGL

    KPCGL Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    north Queensland, Australia
    yeah frog breeds some of the best ive ever seen
     
  11. Frog1974

    Frog1974 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks thyla and kev. I do take care of my reptiles. Cheers for the big ups.
     
  12. Frog1974

    Frog1974 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    I do have someone to thank for all my knowledge and care though. So a big TY.
     
  13. Thyla

    Thyla Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    378
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sydney
    Who are you thanking?
     
  14. Frog1974

    Frog1974 Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Local bloke who pointed me in the right direction.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page