Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkgone

Reaction score
hi just wondering does anyone know where all the penny turtles are gone ive tried every looking on the net for them but have found nothing.i havent seen a penny turtle for years.thanks

penny turtles was just the name given for baby long neck or short neck turtles that were about the size of pennies

no, a penny turtle is a turtle that will always be the size of a penny until it dies.

what does tuppence mean cichli?

no, a penny turtle is a turtle that will always be the size of a penny until it dies.
no mate ya wrong... my mum kept these guys ages ago and they grow a hell of a lot bigger then pennies

LOL! Africa, they're making us feel old, mate! "What does tuppence mean, indeed!"

He's talking about pre-decimal currency.

Tuppence is two cents... then again, sixpence is five cents! Go figure! Where did that extra penny go anyway! STILL think we're being ripped off by this decimal stuff! :)

i know there really not as big as a penny when there fully grown but its a very small turtle.

There is no such species as penny turtles.As already said they are merely hatchlings.So there adult size would be dependant on what species of hatchlings they are.

Petshops started the penny turtle trend by fooling gullable buyers into believing they were a mini species.This was way before the amnesty and before there was even thought of a reptile keepers licensing program.The name "penny turtle" has since stuck with the public (those that are less educated in the area of herps).Although it is illegal to sell reptiles from pet stores in NSW,many stores around Hill end,Bathurst etc still sell hatchlings under the name "penny turtles".I had the privilidge of finding many hatchlings in rivers at Hill end & Sofala (which is where I assume these stores aquire them).

Read the newest reptiles of australia book by Gerry Swan and Steve Wilson and you'll find that there is no "penny turtle"

I'd like to buy a penny Perentie.................

Some people can not make "Penny turtles" grow very well, this is mostly because of not providing the right habitat for the baby turtle, and not providing it with enough UV light..

just wondering how big do kreffts turtles get when full grown?

brodi and bkgone are both right, in Australia Juv turtles were incorrectly called pennie turtle, but in the UK a small asain terripin would only grow to be the size of a pennie. but it is true that turtle will grow to the size of its cage

bkgone said:

what does tuppence mean cichli?

Do you happen to know the species of these "penny turtles"?? All "penny turtles" grow the size of atleast small dinner plates mate... so unless you dont feed it and keep it in a shoe box all its life, it will grow big, and you have to be prepared to supply adequate housing for them!!! If you are looking into keeping freshwater turts, I strongly suggest you do a bit of research first!!! No offence!!! :eek:)

Marc, I think you are wrong about the Asian terripin(sic) A turtle will, if fed and cared for correctly, reach its full size potential. If you buy a baby turtle you will need to move it to a pond in about 3 years when it will reach adult size. Some of the Macrochelodina may grow to have a shell length of 500mm.
All the herp books are extremly out of date on turtles, Just compare the species list from NPWS to most of the books including John Cann's last book. Laveracks turtle was described in 1996 and doesnt rate a mention in most books. Is it in Wilson and Swan, I havent seen a copy yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back