permit system so pathetic.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

manimal

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm in the hunt for more reptile enclosures and I've seen a few on Gumtree that would suit me just fine. The problem is that the sellers also have reptiles to go with them, but they don't have a fauna permit to be able to legitimately sell the animal.
If I was to buy their set up how do I explain to parks and wildlife how I got the animal.
People can buy 1 protected animal with out a permit in sa but need permit to sell it when they are over it.
Something needs to be done as there are countless protected reptiles being offered for sale by people who have no legal right to.
Aggghhh
My little rant over.

All they have to do is contact parks and wild life and pay for a permit then if you wait until the middle of the financial year you can get a permit half price then all they have to do is record where they got the animal from, if they don't know where they got the animal from then i wouldn't buy it any way as it's not worth losing everything you have that's legit at least that's how it works in SA

That is a interesting question that i have been trying to work out to. I am applying for my permit next week and have one snake that was bought off gumtree, the person i bought it from didn't have a permit to sell, she said something about her fella running out on her and leaving the snake, i do have first name, phone number, address and date of purchase but the question on the forms ask that if a snake is already owned what is there permit number, so i am unsure what i would have to do?

That is a interesting question that i have been trying to work out to. I am applying for my permit next week and have one snake that was bought off gumtree, the person i bought it from didn't have a permit to sell, she said something about her fella running out on her and leaving the snake, i do have first name, phone number, address and date of purchase but the question on the forms ask that if a snake is already owned what is there permit number, so i am unsure what i would have to do?

Ring them up. I had some question about putting exempt species on my permit, they told me what to right in the book as they were purchased from others that didnt need a permit so i didnt take numbers.

Rick

it's a bit harder for nonexempt species you have to give names addresses as you have to have a paper trail of where the animal came from. I got given a spotted and found out that the people before the person i got her from had given a fake permit number so the person i got her from had to sign a stat dec too state that he had bought her in good faith that she was not taken from the wild or i could have lost her and my other animals in my possession as it's illegal to have a wild animal without the right permits

it's a bit harder for nonexempt species you have to give names addresses as you have to have a paper trail of where the animal came from. I got given a spotted and found out that the people before the person i got her from had given a fake permit number so the person i got her from had to sign a stat dec too state that he had bought her in good faith that she was not taken from the wild or i could have lost her and my other animals in my possession as it's illegal to have a wild animal without the right permits

Yes and no. If ever in doubt just call your local fauna centre, they normally help out when i have a question. Exempt or not you still need to prove where you obtained the reptile, so adding with no previous owner history needs to be approved by them.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back