Pet Crocs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
once they reach 2.5 you have to have them come out and see that you have a suitable size enclosure to keep them further. They then grant you a permit (in Vic)

who are the best guys to talk to about getting one in vic

ive heard from different herpers that they don't travel well , perhaps thats just a myth

But how does DSE know it is 2.5m....there is no where to record size in the returns...hence no regs stating this....the simple fact is they inspect when they think they need to and if your enclosure is inappropriate then you get notice to fix it. Same goes with any animal on your permit!

I promis it's a rule. I'm sure if DSE rocked up and the croc was over 2.5 without you informing them you'd be getting a hell of a slap on the wrist (or a serious talking to:lol:) even if it was in an appropriate sized enc. I know it's bogus but it's there. ;) Moose, are you saying we can buy RSP's now?

who are the best guys to talk to about getting one in vic

ive heard from different herpers that they don't travel well , perhaps thats just a myth

If you PM me your email and are interested I can pass on some contacts. Apparenlty they are a pest to get feeding as a juvi, mine was never a pest but when I got him he was nearly a meter already. They are forever coming up in the trading post. This weeks and last weeks had a freshie for sale $500 but it was at the 2.5 mark I think. Something along them sizes, so you'd need a trailer :lol::lol::lol:

you can in QLD if you have a demonstrators permit, but they need to know heaps about you and your ability to keep them. The DSE here in Vic only require that they are kept in good conditions, not only do I have three....one "very large" but several people I know have them over 3m in length....no special permit, several DSE visits. It is a keeping guidline from the Department of Primary Industries, not DSE.

I have thrown my two cents worth in on the croc keeping saga in other threads, but I am interested in a couple of things;

1) Why do you keep crocs, what is your motivation? (Punja you can comment if you like, you are obviously into keeping crocs)
2) Do any of you have any adult crocs and if you do, I would love to see pics of your enclosures. Why? Because I don't think you can keep an adult croc properly in a subuarban quarter acre backyard.

Why not?...this is a question that can be asked about many herps that are kept....people like them, they are a challange.

If you are unsure of setups for adults, check out wildlife parks, that is typically what people do....it just takes a bit of money.

the best place to get them from is just freight them down from crocodylus in darwin, ive got 2 freshies and a saltie coming down next thursday! SOOO excited whats this about a permit for crocs over 2.5 in vic?

also idheav, in vic you can get them from the trading post, i know this because i got a salty through there a couple of years back, had to sell him cos i didnt have the time for him though, can be very time consuming aniamls

I used to have one in the NT when I was there. You basically grow it for the farms. I you live outside the residential zone, you can keep them up to four meters. Mine got up to 97 cms before we had to leave the NT. Great to watch him, very strong even at a small size.

yeah mine got to 1.2 metres then mum made me sell him cos she thought he was getting to big, but yeah they are really strong. and can get very agressive at feeding time

I think maybe the 2.5 meter rule must be something I miss read as herpheaven has had more dealings with big crocs then I have. (don't take that as an attack herpheaven, my croc is only a meter)

being that i live in country vic setting up for a big croc is very possible. Biggest expence is setting up. I'd build an appropriate sized she with two large roller doors. Two fenced off area's out either roller door. Large heat pond/pool inside (heated the same way as a pool I recon) and as many fly screened windows as possible, high up too, so I can get as much natural sunlight as possible. On top of that during winter there would be spot lights and UV lights, both roller doors shut. During summer, no as much spotlight or UV light and roller doors open so he can go outside. Not sure how I'd go abut filtering the water though. Maybe a combination of plants and a pool filter? It would be very pricey but well worth it.

That an enough security and secrecy to keep people away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back