Pet for 8 year old boy???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmick149

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys & girls I'm thinking of a lizard or lizards as a pet for my 8 year old son. We have a 10 month old Stimson and albino Darwin pythons and my 8 year old is mad keen on something of his own. he loves the pythons he is a little scared by them more unshore of them then scared. He tends to move to quickly and worried about taking a bite so I'm thinking a lizards might be better for him but don't know what to get him.
Iv taken him to a few reptile/ pet shops but there's not much around which makes it hard.
Im looking for suggestions of what might be good for him.
he says he wants a snake of his own but he needs to build his conference with what we have 1st.
Our dogs bailed up a bluey a few weeks back and he was devastated when we took it to the park to let it go even thow he agreed it was the right thing to do.
i know nothing about keeping lizards at all and looking for suggestions as to what would be good to start him off with it has to be something he can get hands on with and easy to care for. I have no problems with him being able to care for it with some help and maybe breed them he is very switched on for a 8 year old.
What else is there other then blueys that would be a good starter for him to get some experience with. With a list of good candidates I can show him what out there and what care is required so he can chose something. A big thanks mick

Pink tongue skinks are an interesting first lizard, they adapt well to being handled, And have fairly simple husbandry needs. They are a little more active than blueys in my opinion, generally at dusk and dawn. (will be out and about before and after school hours ;) ). and can hang from your finger with their prehensile tails.

i was also fond of water dragons as a child, they're so dinosaur like.

there are many care sheets available for both species. Cheers.

Central bearded dragon. Pretty much bullet proof and puppy dog tame. Fairly basic husbandry requirements and lots of info out there about their care. Also quite cheap to purchase.

Joe

+1 for the central beardies, they adapt very well to handling, come in a good range of colours and are basically just awesome. :)

I'd recommend a boy if youre only getting 1, girls can have egg problems even when they havent mated.

I would also suggest either a bearded or blue-tongue. They both are easy to care for,quite personable and tolerate handling. Of course your son will need guidance on how to handle lizards safely.

+4 for the bearded lol my first were a pair of bearded's and I must say they are pretty much bullet proof and fantastic for any level of experience. They are the type of lizard that will sit and watch TV with you. They also quite "enjoy" being handle and being out of the enclosure. Blueys make great beginner lizards as well and so do pink tongues.

Last edited:
I reccomend a beardie too. Live for a long time, pretty hardy and handle great!

Cracker personalities on them too!

Bluey, or CBD if you want something more active. Brilliant first pets.

Lace monitor! They are so cuddly and puppy dog tame...
Atleast that's what they all say on facebook lmao

All jokes aside, +1 central beardies, have you considered shinglebacks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back