pet lizard for teenager

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finnbennett

Reaction score
hi im looking for a pet lizard i live in Vic and i have pet marbled geckos which i adore i have a large 90cm long 45 deep and 60 high glass aquarium with 2 large ceramic heat lamp holders that i am hoping i could use
im only 15 but have a lot of knowledge in the hobby. i dont really want a blue tongue or a bearded dragon because i want something more unique im very happy to buy i licence but i dont really want to spend over 350$ on the actual reptile i was thinking a pink tongue skink but i really want to get some more options thanks.

hi im looking for a pet lizard i live in Vic and i have pet marbled geckos which i adore i have a large 90cm long 45 deep and 60 high glass aquarium with 2 large ceramic heat lamp holders that i am hoping i could use
im only 15 but have a lot of knowledge in the hobby. i dont really want a blue tongue or a bearded dragon because i want something more unique im very happy to buy i licence but i dont really want to spend over 350$ on the actual reptile i was thinking a pink tongue skink but i really want to get some more options
Your options will depend on how the enclosure opens.
Things like an ackie monitor or a Pygmy mulga monitor would prefer a front opening enclosure
A shingleback would do great in an enclosure of that size
Anyway, if you don’t want a lizard snakes would go well in there. All anterisia, a keelback amd common tree snakes would thrive in there.

anyway hope this helps

Your options will depend on how the enclosure opens.
Things like an ackie monitor or a Pygmy mulga monitor would prefer a front opening enclosure
A shingleback would do great in an enclosure of that size
Anyway, if you don’t want a lizard snakes would go well in there. All anterisia, a keelback amd common tree snakes would thrive in there.

anyway hope this helps
thanks yeah ive looked into ackies and pygmy mulgas, ackies get i bit to big for it a think and pygmys are vey expensive and hard to find also the enclosure is a aquarium with a top opening
shinglebacks are a good idea though i will look into them thanks for you ideas

Hi, pinktongues are are great to keep and easy to breed, food is easy if you can find snails and with your tank, you could keep a trio in there or else buy a bluetongue baby and upgrade tank after 2 years when it out grows the tank

Hi, pinktongues are are great to keep and easy to breed, food is easy if you can find snails and with your tank, you could keep a trio in there or else buy a bluetongue baby and upgrade tank after 2 years when it out grows the tank
Hi, the best way for the animal is to keep it in a "larger" enclosure from hatchling, rather than "updrading as it grows" which can cause much stress, it`s ridiculous to suggest a baby Blue tongue doesn`t travel further than (for example) a 150 to180L x 75 to 100W x 45 to 60H (cm). They will not "get lost", or be "unable to find food, heat, water, light/ dark". It`s about offering more rather than less from day one.
[automerge]1626974399[/automerge]
Yeah I heard they where great are they good at Handling at all?
Hi, After allowing the animal/s to fully acclimate to the enclosure (which can take a few weeks ) you can begin trying to "gain trust", work at the animal`s pace, use food as a "weapon" and it`s very possible before too long you`ll have a tractable Blue tongue/ Pink tongue skink, they often do tolerate gentle handling very well.

Last edited:
Yes pinktongues are great pets and don't seem to mind being handled same with bluetongues.

Latest posts

Back