Pet Lizard Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cain04

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So Im wanting to get myself a lizard. I have plenty experience with snake but none with lizards so before I run out and get something im starting with my home work.

Basically I know there are people on here with boat loads of knowledge so please if you could point me i the right direction.

So what am i looking for? Well i would like something that grows to a fair size (sorry but im not really interested in tiny gekos or the likes, just not my thing), I want something placid, I have kids and want something that the kids could interact with that i dont need to worry about them needing stitches because of a bite. I know reptiles are unpredictable and all that but you know what i mean.

Thanks for any advice here guys.

Bluetongue or central bearded dragon or eastern bearded dragon or eastern water dragon would all be good choices . The BTs and beardies grow to about 2ft long , the water dragon will grow to about 1m long.

Get it as a juvenile from a breeder ( chose one that's very calm and not flighty ) , easier to tame it up.

Kiddies only to handle under strict parental supervision.

The dragons can break skin if they bite a finger by accident , but this is very much usually the keeper's fault and rarely an act of aggression.

The above is good advice. Definitely a Blue-tongued Lizard (blotched, eastern, western or maybe central) or Bearded Dragon (probably central but eastern would also be fine) would be your best choice.

The above is good advice. Definitely a Blue-tongued Lizard (blotched, eastern, western or maybe central) or Bearded Dragon (probably central but eastern would also be fine) would be your best choice.
totaly agree but the best one to get if you have young kids and you want somthing great at handling get a blue tongue beardies like to move in your hand more.

totaly agree but the best one to get if you have young kids and you want somthing great at handling get a blue tongue beardies like to move in your hand more.

I can't say I agree. Plenty of Beardies can be worn like a fashion accessory; literally stick them on your shirt or on your shoulder and they'll just sit there, sometimes for hours. I've only ever kept one (I've played with don't ask me how many), and my one would cling to my shirt for as long as I left him there, but I used to throw mealworms to the opposite end of the lounge room and he'd race over, eat it, then just sit there, then I'd drop one at my feet, he'd race back, eat it, and sit there, and I could pick him back up and put him back on my shoulder or put him on my shirt which he'd cling to (or I could repeat the mealworm game for as long as I wanted). I personally prefer blue-tongueds (personal preference only) but I can understand why beardies are more popular.

yea i get what you mean but you have to agree that blue tongues are slightly less likely to bite you i personaly much prefer beardies coz they are soooo cute but blueys are amazing 2

yea i get what you mean but you have to agree that blue tongues are slightly less likely to bite you i personaly much prefer beardies coz they are soooo cute but blueys are amazing 2

No, I don't agree with that. I don't think captive beardies are more likely to bite than captive blue-tongueds (not even sure about wild ones - both will usually want to give you a nip when first picked up and then quickly calm down). Blue-tongueds give a much harder bite, and whether captive raised or wild caught a week earlier, from the perspective of bites I'd be more inclined to let a kid handle a beardy than a bluey. I personally prefer the look of blueys, but I imagine the look of beardies would be favoured by most people because they're spikey and dragon-looking. I like the smooth, more sleek look of the skinks, and I prefer their colours and patterns. Both are great in their own way.

No, I don't agree with that. I don't think captive beardies are more likely to bite than captive blue-tongueds (not even sure about wild ones - both will usually want to give you a nip when first picked up and then quickly calm down). Blue-tongueds give a much harder bite, and whether captive raised or wild caught a week earlier, from the perspective of bites I'd be more inclined to let a kid handle a beardy than a bluey. I personally prefer the look of blueys, but I imagine the look of beardies would be favoured by most people because they're spikey and dragon-looking. I like the smooth, more sleek look of the skinks, and I prefer their colours and patterns. Both are great in their own way.
i could not say anything better then what you have said besides blueys are more like a potato thats what some youtubers call blueys haha but anyways i sorta agree with you they both have their goods and bads.

Shinglebacks are the coolest kind of blue-tongue.
So chill and stunning.

Shingleback-1-of-1.jpg

Bluetongues or shinglebacks, bluetongueskinks are all fun to keep
Eastens and northens are easy to have as a first lizard

Latest posts

Back