Pet Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewly

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've never really considered rats as pets until a close friend of mine got them and now I love them. They are so cute and are very friendly and will just sit on your shoulder for ages which amazed me to start with, cause I thought they would have taken off like a shot.

I had to go to the pet shop last night to actually get some frozen rats for my snakes and I was checking their live rats out and these 2 little guys kept coming up to the glass and they were just so cute that I couldn't resist them. I already had a cage, cause I bought one a little while back to use as a bearded dragon sunning cage so I just had to get a few little bits and pieces and I was all set up. They are both boys and they are brothers so they get on really well. I decided to call them Tom & Jerry, not very original I know but I'm getting to the point where I'm finding it hard to think of names.

Last edited:
I too have pet rats, 9 female 3 of them with a combined 19 bubs 1 female due anyday and I have 1 boy.... I just couldnt use them for feed and as I only have 2 snakes that eat rats fortnightly its not that expensive to buy frozen, yet!
I can post some piccies if you dont mind, later though as I am at work *hehe*

I have had pet rats. Best pair I've ever had I drove to Mosman to get them. Such sooky sweet pets, the only pair I ever had that I could allow free run and trust them not to go anywhere. Except they killed my mice while out one night :(

I have mice too but need to get rid of them, really need the space....... but they are so cute, we also have a combined 23 bubs in 3 litters also there.

Except they killed my mice while out one night :(

thats so sad....

pet rats are the best! the last rat i had was the cutest little guy 'boris' he only died a few months ago. he was about 3 years old... i just bought my self another one yesterday hes pure white and really cute.
nice rats jewly they will bring u heaps of joy

I brought a pair 2 years ago,in that time,the girl has had about 15-18 litters,some of the babies ive keeped for food,but ive ended up keeping as pets,ive got 6 big ones i wont use as food,they are my pets.Ive got 16 others just for food,one female last week had 15 babies,thats a record 4 me,usually get 10-12 babies from each litter,my original males name is bbb triple b,big ball bastard..

they are really cute, which is the exact reason i dont breed my own for food.

I have a pet rat named Milly
i used to breed my two pet rats for food but we couldnt kill them so we gave them to the pet shop.
Your rats are sooo cute.

The first pic is my old rat Jess when we were breeding
And the other pics are my rat Milly

My awsome pictures 004.jpgMy awsome pictures 026.jpgMy awsome pictures 107.jpgMy awsome pictures 108.jpg

Its a shame no one seems to have tried breeding rats for longevity, apart from them crapping all the time and their typcally short lifespan they are great pets. Is it possible to get rats that have stripes like a tiger?

I breed just as pet, and i love the little ratties, I hopeing to get some rex's some time does anyone breed them?

I am home early today, so here are my babies... be prepared there will be heaps of pics
The first ones are Nibbles 7 bubs born on the 29th, next is Coco she has 6 bubs born 28th, then Shars 6 bubs born 26th, last but not least some of the rest eating nice cold watermelon on a hot day...

Attachments

• 011008 007.jpg
    011008 007.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 011008 006.jpg
    011008 006.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 69
  • 011008 002.jpg
    011008 002.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 280908 1 006.jpg
    280908 1 006.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 80
nooo,..stop posting pics!

i'm finding myself wanting pet ratties!!!!

nah, keep posting, theyre so cute,..!! :p

why try to connect and empathise with horrible smelling, vermin???? just breed them to ensure pristine feed items for your snakes.

why try to connect and empathise with horrible smelling, vermin???? just breed them to ensure pristine feed items for your snakes.

We are talking about rats here, not cats. Rats dont stink at all if you look after them, they are very clean animals. Rats are highly intellegnt social animals it makes far more sense to empathise with a rat than a snake.

yer i love rats there sooo cute. but mine never sit still they always just want to escape.... here are some pics of mine, by the way does anyone no what age is good to start breeding them? because i have tried to reaserch it but their are to many different answers i dont no which is correct, some say start breeding at 7-10 weeks and others say start breeding at 5 months????

Attachments

• myrats024.jpg
    myrats024.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 101
  • myrats022.jpg
    myrats022.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 86
  • myrats012.jpg
    myrats012.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.