Pet Rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like she's doing a good job then :)

All my girls have had their second litters now, just dropped in the last few days. Maybe yours had more because she's older.. but my girls haven't had litters that big the second time.

Yep, you are probably right. They are just great, no myco flareups, friendly (with minimal handling really) and large litters.

Sebastian the male is freaking huge, I really should weight him. The only prob I've had with him is that once he had been in with Bonita for a week and then put back into the males cage he beat the daylights out of Dexter so I've had to separate him. I think the problem was that he was top rat before he left the cage, and Dex took his place and didn't want to relinquish it!

5 BEW's, that would be nice! What are your plans for the line? Are you going to outcross to healthy unrelated feeders and then cross back?

I'm going to out-cross with healthy related feeders because this line is so good. I'm getting a couple of feeder rats from another line that are healthy and I'm going to work them in as well.

I'm also giving a couple of other people who breed for food some BEWs so they can out-cross them as well, and if they produce anything I like I'll get some back because I don't have the cage space to work with that many. I don't want to cull the hets because they're perfectly good rats that produce BEWs.

Good idea, I'll see if I can do the same up here. I think I've asked this before, but what is the % chance of one of the non BEW litter mates being a het for BEW?

What else did you get in the litters? Black hoodeds? Any buffs or PEW's?

Still don't know how the trait works, but you'll have some BEWs to work with anyway.

Buff and black, with three or four albinoes in one litter, the father wasn't from my lines but the mother must have been het for albino, so you may get some PEWs as well, but it is unlikely.

Hmmm, depending on how the BEW gene works, the PEW's may be BEW's masked by the C gene. I guess test mating a PEW to a non carrier would test that theory.

Forgot to ask, were all first generation black hoodeds? Was the mum black or agouti?

I'm not sure what you're saying, but albino is a masking gene in rats, albino rats can be selfs, berkshires, hoodeds, etc. they are a marking, genetically, but you can't see it (you just know what they are from breeding them with other marked rats).

You could get an albino that is a BEW where the gene has been masked by the albino gene (is that what you're saying?) but you wouldn't know, just like you wouldn't know if it was any other marking. The BEW gene is completely different to the albino/PEW gene.

Yours had a BEW father (genetically, the colour of BEWs is black or agouti) and the mother was black. Most of my BEW hets are agouti, from a cinnamon mother and the same BEW father.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean! The PEWs could be BEWs masked by the C gene. Only way to find out would be a test mating of the PEW to a non-carrier.

For those that are interested in pet ratties, thought I'd show you these bubs. I had VERY good luck in that litter.

Dsc_0141.jpg

Dsc_0143.jpg

Breeding for feed is so hard when it involves small furry animals. Nice rats everyone

Last edited:
I love my rats.. I have a few that I will never feed to the snakes, I have a relationship with them and they are special...The others I try not to get close to for obvious reasons!

I had an episode the other day I was going to share. I had an escapee who made it's way to my snake racks and enclosures and demolished the leads for the thermostats and 2 x heat chords and a pen I write all my info with and my yoga mat and crapped all over the joint!
Funny thing was when I found out there was an escapee from the temps gone down in my rack and a small hole chewed out of the rat enclosure, it was sitting right near the main colony cage....as though nothing had happened! I grabbed it without a fight they are very tame, cursed at it a bit and put it back in with the rest.
Had to change 2 x heat chords and a 240v lead, but it was quite funny, seemed it was taking revenge on the snakes...lol :lol:

My lord. I just went other to another aps members house (he was in hospital so I got his brother/friend) I thought he was selling me frozen rats but they were live. So I got 6 little fuzzy rats living in this pen :) there cute as hell. I can't believe how they eat, picking up there food with there hands :lol: I don't think I can cull 'em.

hetty, Your rats are beautiful. Im not having much luck with my colours. I only have one pair at the moment. Female ruby eyed albino and male silver hooded and they keep throwing greys and berkshires. If you decide to freight i will definalely take a few!!!

Is there any one off here from vic breeding nice colours as im looking for 3 females and 1 male?

Ruby eyed albino doesn't exist, it's called ruby eyed white. And they're quite rare if you have one! Are you sure it isn't pink eyed?

Here's a ruby eyed white I bred-
rats077-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back