Petition for Cat Curfew in Melton Shire Council Melbourne

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

horsesrule

Reaction score
The Shire is the key home to many native species of wildlife including a number of species of native frogs, lizards, snakes, birds, and mammals and 1 known species of turtle.

It is also home to the federally protected and endangered Growling Grass Frog and Striped Legless Lizard.

A cat curfew would greatly assist in the conservation of our native wildlife and greatly reduce the number of native wildlife killed or permanently injured each year as the result of domestic cats.

Please sign this petition if you agree in assisting our native wildlife.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/catcurfewmeltonshire/

signed...good luck with this...everyone should be jumping on this one!

I hate outdoor cats/ferals :evil: They always come around to our house and piss all over our house and the things outside :? signed.

what if your cat is let out at 12:00/noon/midday, and you don't see it all day, how do you get it back in?

cats belong in a wheelie bin full of water!

Keep cats and councillors indoors or play areas. Both only suck the life out of ratepayers.

Cmon guys, lets not be harsh on cats, they dont exactly want to be cruel, its in their nature to kill stuff, same with snakes killing rats and mice.
I personally have an outdoor cat, (but he doesnt kill stuff),

Yes, a curfew would be good, maybe if the cats are only allowed out at night, because if they are out during the day, the might hunt down a lizard or snake basking in the warm sun.
Cats should be allowed a bit of freedom, but not too much because they kill native wildlife.

my cat nearly never kills stuff, I think it has killed about 3 things in the 8.5 years we've had him, and all of those were mice.

I personally have an outdoor cat, (but he doesnt kill stuff),

I doubt you watch your cat all the time.

My old lady has a cat that is cute as a button. I used to find him curled up in front of the fire or playing with some of my cousins stuffed toys - yet it used to kill and bring home rabbits 1/3 larger than he was. Lord knows what else it used to kill when know one else was around.

cats belong in a wheelie bin full of water!

That's a pretty wreckless comment... Much like someone in my area that stepped on a cats head because his mate paid him 5 bucks. Personally I believe he deserves the same treatment. If you were to put a cat in a wheelie bin full of water, I'd gladly do the same thing to you.

I let my cat out during the day and it often isn't home until 7 to 9 at night, and sometimes even later, but I put bells on my cat. I live just out-side the shire, so it is kind of my area too. Cats have a natural instinct to hunt, everyone knows that. Sure, my cat would attack anything that moves, even the postman and joggers (it has happened before) but that is it being a typical tom cat. He brings home all kinds of things that he has hunted, never yet a native animal. If he did bring home a native animal I would scold him, but that's not going to stop him. I love my cat. It is part of my family. Its like this for many people who own cats. I have my freedom to go out when I want to, why shouldn't it have freedom?

Much like someone in my area that stepped on a cats head because his mate paid him 5 bucks. Personally I believe he deserves the same treatment.

Feral cats - sure, go for it. But family cats, don't threaten them. They mean alot to some people :)

That's a pretty wreckless comment... Much like someone in my area that stepped on a cats head because his mate paid him 5 bucks. Personally I believe he deserves the same treatment. If you were to put a cat in a wheelie bin full of water, I'd gladly do the same thing to you.

I let my cat out during the day and it often isn't home until 7 to 9 at night, and sometimes even later, but I put bells on my cat. I live just out-side the shire, so it is kind of my area too. Cats have a natural instinct to hunt, everyone knows that. Sure, my cat would attack anything that moves, even the postman and joggers (it has happened before) but that is it being a typical tom cat. He brings home all kinds of things that he has hunted, never yet a native animal. If he did bring home a native animal I would scold him, but that's not going to stop him. I love my cat. It is part of my family. Its like this for many people who own cats. I have my freedom to go out when I want to, why shouldn't it have freedom?

Much like someone in my area that stepped on a cats head because his mate paid him 5 bucks. Personally I believe he deserves the same treatment.

Feral cats - sure, go for it. But family cats, don't threaten them. They mean alot to some people :)

Your right, is was a wreckless comment, but I stand by it.

Every morning I get up, walk out my front door and really enjoy the smell of fresh cat urine. And I particually enjoy cleaning the cats sh#t out of my front and back garden. If you want to own a cat and call it a family pet thats great. But if I catch one in my yard............

Put citric peels in your garden.

Keeps our cat out of ours.

thats not a bad idea

don't see why i should have to go out of my way to keep someone else's cat out of my yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back