Philips Black light

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragozz

Reaction score
Philips Black light for UV

I was wondering if anyone has used the Philips black lights for UV for their reptiles? What do you think of them? How good are they/ or not good?

Last edited:
No don't use the Philips Black Light UV Tubes because they can cause eye damage to your captive Reptile's.
Just log onto Google Australia then type in UV Light Information/Reptiles Down Under, then you can see on there why you should not use them.
The NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube is the best 1 to use for UVA and UVB, to provide UV to your captive Reptile's, and that same information list does state that the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube is the best 1 to use.

do you know where you can buy these NEC tubes? I couldn't see any at bunnings?

correct me if I'm wrong, with the Philips it says 6 inches away from the reptile, thats a very small distance and the light is usually much higher, so it should be safe, should it not?

l would not use the philips UV Tube at all, especially if it say to keep it at least 6 inches away from the basking spot, where the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube, it does not matter how close you put it near your Reptile's, it sure wont cause any eye damage like the Philips UV Tube can do.
You can order the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube from the Herpshop, or if you pm me l can order them for you myself, you will need to let me know what size your after and how many you want.
l know alot of people outside of Victoria seem to have trouble getting hold of the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube.

i beleive the phillips emit uvc.... which is a HUGE reason why not to use them.

the NEC 10. are barely suitable for lower uv demanding animals let alone dragons and the like. they emit 50 odd uW/cm2 at 1" and 20 odd by 2". so unless they are sitting on the bulb... useless..

so at the end of the day a ReptiGlo (for eg.)of appropriate UVA and UVB output is most suitable?

the NEC 10. are barely suitable for lower uv demanding animals let alone dragons and the like. they emit 50 odd uW/cm2 at 1" and 20 odd by 2". so unless they are sitting on the bulb... useless..

i use the nec10's for dragons with no probs and no many other keepers and reptiles parks that use them for uv

Nothing comes closer to the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube, so if you want to pay $30-00 Dollars or more for a Repti-Sun or Repti-Glo,just because they have Reptile's printed on the packaging, does not mean they a the best, more Reptile's keepers use the NEC T10 Standard Black Light UV Tube, that will cost you know more than $14-00 Dollars for 1x20watts-24 inche long UV Tube.
lts upto you what you decide to use for UVA and UVB on your captive Reptile's.

Hi Kirby,
I'm not sure where you are getting your info from. I've included a link to the tables that everyone has been referring to on previous posts - http://www.reptilesdownunder.com/reptile/reptilesAsPets/enclosure/uv/uvSA
This data is from lights tested under laboratory conditions. As you can see the NEC Black Light T10 far outperforms any other tube tested. Except the dangerous Phillips one.
Tasha

thanks for all the helpfull answers. I think I will go with the NEC tubes, I have been using the ReptiGlo but if this is just as good and cheaper then why not. I checked and inquired with the Herp Shop, but they only have 2ft NEC tubes. I need a 4ft. Any idea where I can get them from in Sydney? I tried Bunnings with no luck.

frillygirl, you will find the test was a little rigged, its been put up against known low quality bulbs, and low output ones.... to try and make it look great. i dont see a reptisun 10.0 on that data.

a bearded dragon needs bare minimum 60 uW/cm2 over at least 10 hours of the day. a reptisun 10.0 does this at a safe distance of around 20cm. were a NEC 10 does it at less then an inch, and your awfully silly to let a dragon sit this close to a bulb all day. it then depletes to 20 odd, by two inches.

Why not use natural sunlight for all your UV needs? Its alot cheaper then any light bulbs and your animal can get exercise while outside (under supervision of course).

It's ok when you have one or two bearded dragons, but I have quiet a few so it's not possible for me to take everything out and set up. It is a good idea if you can supervise them and have 1 or 2 beardies to take out though.

We got our NEC T10's in the 4-foot size from Beacon Lighting. They had to order them in for us though.

frillygirl, you will find the test was a little rigged, its been put up against known low quality bulbs, and low output ones.... to try and make it look great. i dont see a reptisun 10.0 on that data.

a bearded dragon needs bare minimum 60 uW/cm2 over at least 10 hours of the day. a reptisun 10.0 does this at a safe distance of around 20cm. were a NEC 10 does it at less then an inch, and your awfully silly to let a dragon sit this close to a bulb all day. it then depletes to 20 odd, by two inches.

Kirby,
The test may have been rigged - or it may have been done when the bulbs you are talking about weren't around. It was done quite a few years ago.
But, I just wanted to know where you got your data from? Have you tested the NEC 10 yourself? The table shows UVB for NEC 10 at tube face to be 250 uW/cm2, at 3 inches to be 50 uW/cm2 etc etc. I couldn't see the figures that you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back