Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I recently posted four "photo guides" to Australian lizards. To find and photograph these lizards, I travelled whenever possible to many different parts of the continent. So far, I have visited all States with the exception of the Northern Territory. Here are photos of the places that I visited along with an indication of the species that I encountered. I hope that this information will be of interest to those of you who like to know the sort of habitat where the lizards live.

The sites will be presented from the tropical far north of Queensland, south to Tasmania, west through South Australia and then northward up the coast of Western Australia.

Cooktown, QLD

This is a beautiful location in the tropical far north of Queensland. It is a herp rich area that is especially interesting due to Black Mountain (3rd photo) a little south of town where 3 endemic herps may be found. This is the end of the paved roads on Cape York so a 4x4 is necessary to venture further north. Not too far to the north are interesting sandstone outcrops where a new Oedura gecko was recently discovered ... would be an interesting area to visit someday. Near Cooktown, I have found several species of Carlia skinks, Eulamprus, Ring-tailed Geckos, Black Mountain Geckos, Northern Velvet Geckos and Burton's Snake-Lizards in this area.
habitat_Cooktown2_400.jpg
habitat_Cooktown3_400.jpg
habitat_Cooktown1_400.jpg

Chillagoe, QLD

This park protects an interesting cave system. Chillagoe is rich with herps. At night, my son and I saw Ring-tailed Geckos, Nactus chevreti, Box-patterned Gecko, Gehyra nana and G. dubia. During the day, Two-lined Dragons, many Ctenotus and many Carlia were observerd.
habitat_chilligoe1_400.jpg
habitat_chilligoe2_400.jpg
habitat_chilligoe3_400.jpg

Cape Tribulation, QLD

This lovely national park is located a couple of hours north of Cairns. Carlia rubrigularis, Saproscincus lewisi and Major Skinks were common along forest paths.
habitat_CapeTrib4_400.jpg
habitat_CapeTrib5_400.jpg
habitat_CapeTrib6_400.jpg

Daintree, QLD

The Daintree River is well known for its crocs and the croc tours. On my visits to a guesthouse in Daintree Village, I have seen Boyd's Forest Dragons, Carlia skinks, Saproscincus basiliscus and Glaphyromorphus skinks.
habitat_Daintree5_400.jpg
habitat_daintree4_400.jpg
habitat_Daintree2_400.jpg

habitat_CapeTrib3_400.jpg
habitat_CapeTrib1_400.jpg
habitat_CapeTrib2_400.jpg

Atherton Tablelands, QLD

This is a cool plateau located west of Cairns. Most of this region was cleared long ago so that rainforest now is present as tiny islands surrounded by farms. I saw Northern Leaf-tailed Geckos in these forests as well as several species of Carlia, Saproscincus and Lampropholis skinks and Boyd's Forest Dragons. The remnant forests are also the home of Chameleon Geckos but so far I have had no success with that species.
habitat_Atherton4_400.jpg
habitat_atherton2_400.jpg
habitat_atherton3_400.jpg

habitat_Atherton5_400.jpg
habitat_Atherton6_400.jpg
habitat_Atherton7_400.jpg

Mt. Bartle Frere, QLD

Mt. Bartle Frere is Queensland highest mountain and the boulders near the summit are home to two endemic lizards. Mt. Bartle Frere is 1600m (5200') in elevation and can be climbed on an all day walk. My kids and I have done this twice now and it was a long, hard slog. Leeches were abundant and we had to stop often to pull off these pests. My son and I found the Mt. Bartle Frere Skink (Techmarscincus jigarru) on one of our climbs but so far, we have not seen the endemic water skink, Eulamprus frerei. We did encounter Eulamprus tigrinis, Carlia rubrigularis, Saproscincus basiliscus and many of the odd-looking Prickly Skinks.
habitat_BartleFrere3_400.jpg
habitat_BartleFrere2_400.jpg
habitat_BartleFrere1_400.jpg

Mission Beach, QLD

This area has been one of our favourite winter holiday destinations for years. It also has produced sightings of some interesting reptiles. Saproscincus and Carlia skinks are the most conspicuous lizards but I have also encountered Lace Monitors, Yellow-spotted Monitors, Spotted Tree Monitors, Pink-tongued Skinks, Major Skinks, Nactus chevreti, Eulmprus quoyii, Eulamprus sp., Coeranoscincus frontalis and two species of Cryptoblepharus skinks.
habitat_MissionBeach4_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach3_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach2_400.jpg

habitat_MissionBeach1_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach5_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach6_400.jpg

habitat_MissionBeach9_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach7_400.jpg
habitat_MissionBeach12_400.jpg

Jourama Falls, QLD

This is a great location for Carlia rubrigularis and Eulamprus sp.. I also have seen Eastern Water Dragons along the river.
habitat_Jourama1_400.jpg
habitat_Jourama2_400.jpg
habitat_Jourama3_400.jpg

Mt. Elliott, QLD

This area (Bowling Green NP) is situated just south of Townsville. It is a herp rich site with a good diversity and density of herps. The endemic Lampropholis miribilis is common along the river. Carlia include C. rhomboidalis, C. jarnoldae, [C. pectoralis, C. schmeltzi and possibly C. laevis. Other lizards include Nobby Dragons, Tommy Roundheads, Black-headed Monitors, Ctenotus skinks and Cryptoblepharus skinks.
habitat_mtelliott1_400.jpg
habitat_mtelliott2_400.jpg
habitat_mtelliott3_400.jpg

Bowen, QLD

The coastline at Bowen is quite scenic. The rocky areas produced a number of Carlia vivex, Carlia scheltzi and Ctenotus robustus.
habitat_Bowen1_400.jpg
habitat_Bowen2_400.jpg
habitat_Bowen3_400.jpg

Eungella, QLD

This isolated pocket of upland rainforest in central Queensland has at least three endemic reptiles as well as several other near endemic species. I have seen many Carlia rhomboidalis , Saproscincus hannahae, Eulamprus amplus, Eastern Water Dragons and a Pink-tongued Skink. At night, Ocellated Velvet Geckos were abundant.
habitat_Eungella1_400.jpg
habitat_Eungella3_400.jpg
habitat_Eungella4_400.jpg

Airlie Beach, QLD

This is the only site where I have encountered Rusty Monitors. Carlia rhomboidalis and C. vivex, Eulamprus sp., Eulamprus amplus, Major Skinks and Robust Striped Skinks were all common. This was the only place where I found the tiny Menetia timlowi.
habitat_AirlieBeach2_400.jpg
habitat_AirlieBeach_400.jpg
habitat_AirlieBeach3_400.jpg

Cape Hillsborough, QLD

Skinks were abundant at this site and included Carlia rhomboidalis, C. schmeltzi, C. zuma, many Eulamprus sp. and Major Skinks.
habitat_CapeHillsborough1_400.jpg
habitat_CapeHillsborough2_400.jpg
habitat_CapeHillsborough4_400.jpg

Lamington Plateau, QLD

This beautiful national park is located in the hinterlands of the Gold Coast. I think that it has some of the most beautiful rainforest in Australia. It also is rich with herps. Skinks include Carlia, four species of Saproscincus, three species of Eulamprus, Harrisoniascincus zia, several Lampropholis, Coeranoscincus reticulatus and Land Mullet. Other lizards include Eastern Water Dragon, Southern Angle-headed Dragons, Lace Monitors and Southern Leaf-tailed Geckos at night.
habitat_lamington4_400.jpg
habitat_lamington5_400.jpg
habitat_lamington6_400.jpg

habitat_lamington7_400.jpg
habitat_lamington8_400.jpg
habitat_lamington9_400.jpg

habitat_lamington11_400.jpg
habitat_Lamington2_400.jpg
habitat_Lamington3_400.jpg

Mt. Glorious, QLD

This mountain is not far from Brisbane and a great place to herp due to the variety of habitats. At night, Southern Spotted Velvet Geckos and Robust Velvet Geckos were common. Burton's Snake Lizards and Anomalopus verreauxii were sometimes observed on the road at night. By day, I have seen Eastern Water Dragons, Major Skinks, Eulamprus sp. and Lampropholis sp. skinks.
habitat_Lamington1_400.jpg
habitat_MtGlorious1_400.jpg
habitat_MtGlorious2_400.jpg

Girraween, QLD

A herp rich site. This was a good place for Wyberba Leaf-tailed Geckos, Southern Spotted Velvet Geckos, Gehyra dubia, the New England race of the Cunningham's Skink, Egernia mcpheei, White's Skinks, Morethia boulangeri, Lampropholis delicata, Ctenotus robustus, Eulamprus quoyii and E. martini. Big Eastern Water Dragons were common along the river. Nobbi Dragons and Jacky Lizards are common and I have also a few Eastern Bearded Dragons.
habitat_Girraween1_400.jpg
habitat_Girraween2_400.jpg
habitat_Girraween3_400.jpg

habitat_Girraween4_400.jpg
habitat_Girraween5_400.jpg
habitat_Girraween6_400.jpg

Windorah, QLD

This area in the channel country of far southwestern Queensland is one of my favourite herping sites. It is also the most accessible site where Fierce Snakes can be seen. There are several habitat types in close proximity to the tiny town of Windorah so the herp diversity is great. Yellow-spotted Monitors and Gould's Monitors were both common as were many species of skinks and dragons. Geckos were diverse and abundant. I have seen Northern Spiny-tailed, Strophurus krisalys, Jewelled Gecko, Beaked Gecko, Tessellated Geckos, Lucasium immaculatum, Fat-tailed Geckos, Gehyra variegata, Prickly Gecko and Smooth Knob-tailed Geckos in this area.
habitat_Windorah12_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah11_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah10_400.jpg

habitat_Windorah13_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah2_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah4_4--.jpg

habitat_Windorah9_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah8_400.jpg
habitat_Windorah6_400.jpg

Broken Hill, NSW

The habitat near Broken Hill is particularly harsh, especially along the road north towards Tibooburra. By day, I have only seen Central Bearded Dragons, Shinglebacks, Gidgee Skinks and several species of Ctenotus . At night, geckos were abundant including Lucasium steindachneri, L. byrnei, Tessellated Geckos, Prickly Geckos, G. variegata. I also have seen a Broad-banded Sand-Swimmer at night.
habitat_brokenHill1_400.jpg
habitat_BrokenHill2_400.jpg
habitat_BrokenHill4_400.jpg

habitat_BrokenHill5_400.jpg
habitat_BrokenHill6_400.jpg
habitat_BrokenHill7_400.jpg

Northern NSW

This area has a similar group of reptiles to those from the Lamington Plateau of nearby Queensland.
habitat_northernNSW1_400.jpg
habitat_NorthernNSW2_400.jpg
habitat_NorthernNSW3_400.jpg

Mt. Kaputar, NSW

This is an isolated mountain range. A known but currently undescribed Egernia lives on rocks at the summit. It shares these with three other Egernia skinks including Tree Skinks, Cunningham's Skinks and White's Skinks. Smaller skinks were abundant particularly around the bunch grass thickets near the summit. These included Pseudemoia pagenstecheri, Red-throated Skinks, Eulamprus sp., Saiphos equalis and Lampropholis delicata. Jacky Lizards were common.
habitat_MtKaputar1_400.jpg
habitat_MtKaputar2_400.jpg
habitat_MtKaputar3_400.jpg

Warrumbungles, NSW

This site is one of the best places that I have visited with an excellent lizard diversity and density. The big Lace Monitors were fairly common and often come around the campsites looking for handouts. At the end of the size spectrum, I have seen tiny Lerista bouganvillii in the leaf litter. Skinks, as always, were the most conspicuous reptiles and include an endemic, isolated race of the Black Rock Skink, Tree Skinks, White's Skinks, Copper-tailed Skinks, Eastern Striped Skinks, Lampropholis sp., Carlia folorium, Cryptoblepharus and Anomalopus leukartii. Geckos were abundant at night and I have seen Eastern Stone, Thick-tailed, Eastern Spiny-tailed, Ocellated Velvet, Gehyra variegata and Prickly Geckos. I also have seen Burton's Snake-Lizard and Eastern Hooded Scaly-foots in the Warrumbungle area.
habitat_Warrumbungles9_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles8_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles7_400.jpg

habitat_Warrumbungles4_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles6_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles5_400.jpg

habitat_Warrumbungles1_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles2_400.jpg
habitat_Warrumbungles3_400.jpg

Gundabooka, NSW

This site is located in western NSW near the town of Bourke. It can be a little disappointing since the habitat looks great but reptiles seem to be few and far between. I have seen Gould's Monitors, Black-headed Monitors, Shinglebacks, Central Bearded Dragons and Central Netted Dragons here during the day. At night, I found Prickly Geckos, Beaked Geckos, Tessellated Geckos and Gehyra variegate.
habitat_Gundabooka1_400.jpg
habitat_Gundabooka2_400.jpg
habitat_Gundabooka3_400.jpg

Mutawintji, NSW

A top area with permanent water in northwestern NSW. This is one of the few sites in NSW with a population of Tawny Dragons. Feral goats are a real problem but there still seem to be many reptiles, especially at night. I have seen Lucasium steindachneri, L. byrnei, Smooth Knob-tailed, Thick-tailed, Prickly and Gehyra variegata in this park.
habitat_mutawintji4_400.jpg
habitat_mutawintji5_400.jpg
habitat_mutawintji6_400.jpg

habitat_mutawintji1_400.jpg
habitat_mutawintji2_400.jpg
habitat_mutawintji3_400.jpg

Blue Mountains, NSW

This region is about a two hour drive from Wollongong. Mostly, I see similar species to those at Royal with a couple of exceptions. I know of one site with the endangered Blue Mountains Water Skink and also see Yellow-bellied Water Skinks along the trails. Other lizards include Eastern Blue-Tongue, Lampropholis delicata, L. guichenoti, Red-throated Skinks, Copper-tailed Skinks, Eastern Water Dragons and Mountain Heath Dragons.
habitat_BlueMtns1_400.jpg
habitat_BlueMtns2_400.jpg
habitat_BlueMtns3_400.jpg

habitat_BlueMtns7_400.jpg
habitat_BlueMtns5_400.jpg
habitat_BlueMtns6_400.jpg

Royal NP, NSW

This lovely park is situated between Wollongong and Sydney. It is a good place for a variety of species and I have seen: Cunningham's Skinks, White's Skinks, Copper-tailed Skinks, Red-throated Skink, Lampropholis delicata, Eastern Water Skink, Eastern Water Dragon, Jacky Lizard, Lace Monitor, Common Scaly-foot, Eastern Blue-tongue and Lesueur's Velvet Geckos.
habitat_Royal3_400.jpg
habitat_Royal4_400.jpg
habitat_Royal5_400.jpg

habitat_Royal6_400.jpg
habitat_Royal7_400.jpg
habitat_Royal9_400.jpg

habitat_Royal8_400.jpg
habitat_Royal2_400.jpg
habitat_Royal10_400.jpg

Wollongong, NSW

The wet forests are good for Lampropholis delicata, L. guichenoti, Red-throated Skink, Anepischtos maccoyi, Saiphos equalis, Eastern Water Skink, Mainland She-Oak Lizard, Eastern Blue-Tongue, Eastern Water Dragon, Jacky Lizard and Mountain Heath Dragon. At night, I see Southern Broad-tailed Geckos in the hills.
habitat_MtKiera3_400.jpg
habitat_MtKiera4_400.jpg
habitat_MtKiera6_400.jpg

habitat_MtKiera1_400.jpg
habitat_MtKiera2_400.jpg
habitat_MtKiera5_400.jpg

MacQuarie Pass, NSW

Same species as Wollongong with the exception of Black Rock Skinks that I see at Carrington Falls.
habitat_MacQuariePass1_400.jpg
habitat_MacQuariePass2_400.jpg
habitat_MacQuariePass3_400.jpg

Southern Highlands, NSW

Same species as MacQuarie Pass.
habitat_SouthernHighlands4_400.jpg
habitat_SouthernHighlands6_400.jpg
habitat_SouthernHighlands2_400.jpg

Dharawal, NSW

Same species as from Wollongong with the exception of Copper-tailed Skinks, Cryptoblepharus and Lesueur's Velvet Geckos.
habitat_dharawal1_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal2_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal3_400.jpg

habitat_dharawal5_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal4_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal6_400.jpg

habitat_dharawal7_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal8_400.jpg
habitat_dharawal9_400.jpg

Nowra, NSW

Same species as recorded from Wollongong with the exception of Lace Monitors.
habitat_nowra2_400.jpg
habitat_nowra1_400.jpg
habitat_nowra3_400.jpg

Budawang Mtns, NSW

A beautiful mountain range on the south coast of NSW. Species here the same as those reported from Wollongong.
habitat_Budawang1_400.jpg
habitat_Budawang2_400.jpg
habitat_Budawang3_400.jpg

habitat_Budawang4_400.jpg
habitat_Budawang5_400.jpg
habitat_Budawang6_400.jpg

Cradle Mountain, TAS

This is one of the most spectacular national parks in Tasmania. The high country is pristine and despite the cold conditions, supports a good variety of skinks. I have seen a number of the snow skinks (Niveoscincus) including N. microlepidotus, N. ocellatus, N. orocryptus (possibly), N. greeni and N. metallicus. I also found a Pseudemoia pagenstecheri and a P. entrecasteauxii.
habitat_Tas2_400.jpg
habitat_Tas3_400.jpg
habitat_CradleMtn1_400.jpg

habitat_CradleMtn2_400.jpg
habitat_CradleMtn3_400.jpg
habitat_CradleMtn4_400.jpg

Hartz Mountain, TAS

I travelled to this mountain on five occasions before the weather was finally sunny enough to see N. orocryptus. The mountain is in the southern Tasmania where the weather often is cold and overcast. It snowed on my first visit in mid-summer.
habitat_Tas4_400.jpg
habitat_Hartz1_400.jpg
habitat_Hartz2_400.jpg

habitat_Hartz3_400.jpg
habitat_Hartz4_400.jpg
habitat_Hartz5_400.jpg

Mt. Wellington, TAS

This peak is next to Hobart. Rocks at the summit support large numbers of Southern Snow Skinks (Niveoscincus microlepidotus). On the lower slopes, N. metallicus, N. pretiosus, N. ocellatus and Pseudemoia entrecasteauxii were common.
habitat_Tas1_400.jpg
habitat_mtwellington1_400.jpg
habitat_mtwellington2_400.jpg

Mt. Field, TAS

This pretty place had good populations of Niveoscincus metallicus and N. microlepidotus.
habitat_Tas5_400.jpg
habitat_Tas6_400.jpg
habitat_MtField1_400.jpg

Arkaroola, SA

I visited this site for only a single night last summer. The rocky hillsides seem to have lots of potential but I did not see many species probably due to the extreme temperatures. I hope to visit it again next summer.
habitat_Arkaroola1_400.jpg
habitat_Arkaroola2_400.jpg
habitat_Arkaroola3_400.jpg

habitat_Arkaroola4_400.jpg
habitat_Flinders1_400.jpg
habitat_Arkaroola6_400.jpg

Eyre Peninsula, SA

This area supports a good variety of reptiles. Crested, Peninsular Rock, Painted and Central Bearded Dragons were common. There are many potential geckos from the area but I only found a single Beaded Gecko. A new species to me was a Night Skink (Egernia striata) that I observed on the road shortly after sunset.
habitat_eyre1_400.jpg
habitat_Eyre2_400.jpg
habitat_Eyre3_400.jpg

habitat_Gawlers1_400.jpg
habitat_Gawlers2_400.jpg
habitat_eyre4_400.jpg

habitat_eyre5_400.jpg
habitat_Gawlers3_400.jpg
habitat_Gawlers6_400.jpg

Cape Le Grand, WA

Egernia napoleonis and Ornate Rock Dragons (Ctenophorus ornatus) were both abundant. I also saw several species of Ctenotus skinks but all were too quick for photos.
habitat_CapeLeGrand1_400.jpg
habitat_CapeLeGrand2_400.jpg
habitat_CapeLeGrand3_400.jpg

Stirling Ranges, WA

A great park for wildflowers in the Spring. It was cool and wet on my visit so I did not see much but there are many possibilities. I saw Christinus marmoratus, Strophurus spinigerus and Diplodactylus granariensis at night.
habitat_Stirling1_400.jpg
habitat_Stirling2_400.jpg
habitat_Stirling3_400.jpg

Two Peoples Bay, WA

I did not see many lizards here but the highlight were Heath Monitors along the road to the reserve.
habitat_TwoPeoples1_400.jpg
habitat_TwoPeoples2_400.jpg
habitat_TwoPeoples3_400.jpg

Margaret River, WA

My visit was during a time of unseasonally cool, wet conditions so I did not see many reptiles. Highlights included Mourning Skink, Red-legged Skink, Egernia napoleonis and Hemiergis initialis.
habitat_MargaretRiver1_400.jpg
habitat_MargaretRiver2_400.jpg
habitat_MargaretRiver3_400.jpg

Goldfields Region, WA

I visited this area in late summer and the weather was very hot. As a result, I did not see many diurnal lizards. Yellow-spotted Monitors were common. Other lizards observed included the goldfield's colour form of Ornate Rock Dragons, Ring-tailed Dragons, Claypan Dragon and several Ctenotus skinks. At night, geckos included Diplodactylus pulcher, Fat-tailed Gecko, Smooth Spiny-tailed Gecko and Gehyra variegata. Western Hooded Scaly-foot was also encountered at night.
habitat_Goldfields3_400.jpg
habitat_Goldfields4_400.jpg
habitat_Goldfields5_400.jpg

habitat_Goldfields1_400.jpg
habitat_Goldfields6_400.jpg
habitat_Goldfields7_400.jpg

Nambung, WA

The pinnacles here are bizarre. I did not see many reptiles by day but at night, Strophurus spinigerus was abundant with up to 7 being seen in the headlights at the same time.
habitat_nambung1_400.jpg
habitat_Nambung2_400.jpg
habitat_nambung3_400.jpg

habitat_nambung4_400.jpg
habitat_nambung5_400.jpg
habitat_nambung6_400.jpg

Kalbarri, WA

A beautiful park that is superb for spring wildflowers. During the day, I have seen Shinglebacks, Western Blue-tongue, Moloch, Gould's Monitors, Stripe-tailed Monitors, Spotted Military Dragon, Long-nosed Dragons, Morethia butleri, Ctenotus skinks and Dwarf Bearded Dragons. At night, geckos that I have seen included: Strophurus spinigerus, Strophurus strophurus, Lucasium alboguttatum, Prickly Geckos, Gehyra variegata, Diplodactylus pulcher and Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko. I also have seen the striped form of Common Scaly-foot and Western Hooded Scaly-foot at night.
habitat_kalbarri1_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri3_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri2_400.jpg

habitat_kalbarri4_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri5_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri7_400.jpg

habitat_kalbarri6_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri8_400.jpg
habitat_kalbarri9_400.jpg

Shark Bay, WA

This is an excellent place for nocturnal lizards. Geckos were diverse and include: Beaked Gecko, Strophurus strophurus, Lucasium alboguttatum, L. squarrosum, Prickly Geckos, Gehyra variegata, Diplodactylus pulcher, D. klugei and Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko. During the day, I have recorded Gould's Monitors, Spotted Military Dragons, Central Netted Dragons and Shinglebacks.
habitat_SharkBay1_400.jpg
habitat_SharkBay7_400.jpg
habitat_SharkBay6_400.jpg

habitat_SharkBay3_400.jpg
habitat_SharkBay4_400.jpg
habitat_SharkBay5_400.jpg

North West Cape, WA

A species rich area despite the dry, harsh conditions. By day, I have seen Perentie, Gould's Monitor, Spotted Military Dragon, Central Military Dragon, Central Netted Dragon, Black-collared Dragon, Dwarf Bearded Dragons and many Ctenotus skinks. At night, a whole host of geckos are encountered, including the newly described Cape Range Gecko, Sandplains Gecko, Strophurus strophurus, S. ciliaris, Prickly Geckos, Gehyra variegata, Fat-tailed Geckos and Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko.
habitat_karijini4_400.jpg
habitat_exmouth7_400.jpg
habitat_exmouth6_400.jpg

habitat_exmouth5_400.jpg
habitat_exmouth4_400.jpg
habitat_exmouth2_400.jpg

Karijini, WA

A herp rich part of the west. It is situated in the Pilbara. I saw Yellow-spotted Monitors, Black-headed Monitors, Pilbarra Rock-Monitors, many Ctenotus skinks, Long-nosed Dragons, Central Military Dragons, Dwarf Bearded Dragons and Ring-tailed Dragons by day. At night, I found Desert Cave Gecko, Gehyra pilbara, G. punctata, Strophurus wellingtonae and what I believe to be Diplodacytlus wombeyi.
habitat_karijini1_400.jpg
habitat_karijini2_400.jpg
habitat_karijini3_400.jpg

habitat_karijini5_400.jpg
habitat_karijini6_400.jpg
habitat_karijini8_400.jpg

Regards,
David

I hate you david , i was happy looking at the east coast pics , you have one at M B that looks like the side of mums rainforest ,and all the great places we also have travelled . but then you had to keep going and show the destinations on the wish map
Great photos of lizards and their habitats thanks
now to get them all on to a [ licensed disk ]

Thanks, all. We are lucky to live in such a beautiful, distinctive and herp-rich part of the world.

Regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back