Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
At last, here is my final installment of the photo guide to Aussie lizards. Work was all consuming for awhile but things are settling again.

This post will cover the dragons and monitors.

Burn's Dragon (Amphibolurus burnsi) -- the first photo is of a lizard near Hughenden, Qld. I think that this would be at the northern distributional limit of the species. The second photo was of an animal near Goondiwindi and the third was from the Cunnamulla area of southwestern Qld.
Amphibolurus_burnsi4_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_burnsi3_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_burnsi2_400.jpg

Gilbert's Dragon (Amphibolurus gilberti) -- these photos are all from 80-Mile Beach along the road to Broome. The dragons were common and tame in a caravan park where I camped.
Amphibolurus_gilberti_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_gilberti4_400-1.jpg
Amphibolurus_gilberti2_400.jpg

Long-nosed Dragon (Amphibolurus longirostre) -- these elegant dragons are common at Kalbarri and the North West Cape.
Amphibolurus_longirostris_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_longirostris2_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_longirostris3_400.jpg

Amphibolurus_longirostris7_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_longirostris4_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_longirostris5_400.jpg

Jacky Lizard (Amphibolurus muricatus) -- the common dragon in eastern Australia. Males are flushed with black during the breeding season.
Amphibolurus_muricatus11_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus3a_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus4_400.jpg

Amphibolurus_muricatus12_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus6_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus7_400.jpg

Amphibolurus_muricatus10_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus8_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_muricatus9_400.jpg

Nobbi Dragon (Amphibolurus nobbi) -- common in drier eucalyptus forest. In the breeding season, the males develop patches of pastel pinks and yellows.
Amphibolurus_nobbi1_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi2_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi3_400.jpg

Amphibolurus_nobbi4_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi7_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi5_400.jpg

Amphibolurus_nobbi9_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi8_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_nobbi10_400.jpg

Amphibolurus gilberti or A. temporalis -- I photographed this lizard near Georgetown on the Cape York Peninsula. This is roughly in the area where either A. gilberti or A. temporalis may be found and I am not certain of the identity. When I enlarged the photo and examined the keels of the scales on the back, they seem to be angled towards the midline which would be indicative of A. temporalis but the photo angle was not what I would like to be certain.
Amphibolurus_temporalis_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_temporalis5_400.jpg
Amphibolurus_temporalis2_400.jpg

Ring-tailed Dragon (Ctenophorus caudicinctus) -- a widespread and variable dragon of northern Australia. I have photos here of animals from different areas, hence, the different colours and patterns.
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus11_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_caudicinctus7_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus6_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus5_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_nuchalis20_400-1.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis21_400-1.jpg
Ctenophorus_caudicinctus12_400.jpg

Crested Dragon (Ctenophorus cristatus) -- a beautiful dragon that I saw for the first time this past summer on the Eyre Peninsula of South Australia. These large dragons bipedal when zipping away.
Ctenophorus_cristatus_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_cristatus2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_cristatus4_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_cristatus3_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_cristatus5_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_cristatus7_400.jpg

Tawny Rock Dragon (Ctenophorus decresii) -- I have only seen these nice dragons at Mutawintji in NSW.
Ctenophorus_decresi_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decresi2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decres7_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_decres6_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decres3_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decres4_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_decres10_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decres8_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_decres9_400.jpg

Long-tailed Sand Dragon (Ctenophorus femoralis) -- this dragon is restricted to the loose, red dunes of the North West Cape area of WA.
Ctenophorus_femoralis3_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_femoralis_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_femoralis2_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_femoralis6_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_femoralis5_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_femoralis7_400.jpg

Peninsular Rock Dragon (Ctenophorus fionni) -- these dragons were numerous in the Gawler Ranges of the Eyre Peninsula, SA.
Ctenophorus_fionii_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fionii2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fionii3_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_fionii4_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fionii5_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fionii7_400.jpg

Mallee Military Dragon (Ctenophorus fordi) -- common in the mallee south of Broken Hill, NSW.
Ctenophorus_fordii_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fordii4_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_fordii2_400.jpg

Central Military Dragon (Ctenophorus isolepis) -- the race of this dragon from the Windorah area of QLD is particularly nice. This is a widespread species found across the dry portions of the continent.
Ctenophorus_isolepis_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis3_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_isolepis6_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis5_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis4_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_isolepis9_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis7_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_isolepis12_400.jpg

Spotted Military Dragon (Ctenophorus maculatus) -- These photos were of animals from Kalbarri and from Shark Bay. They were common in both areas on coastal dunes or the cliffs above the ocean.
Ctenophorus_maculatus_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_maculatus4_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_maculatus3_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_maculatus8_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_maculatus5_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_maculatus11_400.jpg

Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis) -- a widespread species. The head of the male is flushed with orange during the breeding season. These dragons will allow close approach when they are sunning on the road but otherwise they are wary and hard to photograph.
Ctenophorus_nuchalis3_400.jpg
Ctenotus_nuchalis30_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis5_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_nuchalis7_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis4_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_nuchalis11_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis12_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_nuchalis8_400.jpg

Ornate Rock Dragon (Ctenophorus ornatus) -- I have included photos of the nicely coloured goldfields form as well as those from the coast.
Ctenophorus_ornatus_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_ornatus2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_ornatus3_400.jpg

Ctenophorus_ornatus6_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_ornatus4_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_ornatus5_400.jpg

Painted Dragon (Ctenophorus pictus) -- these were from the Lake Gillies area of SA.
Ctenophorus_pictus_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_pictus2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_pictus3_400.jpg

Western Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus reticulatus) -- similar to the Central Netted Dragon but the head shape is different. These were on the road near the turnoff to Shark Bay in WA.
Ctenophorus_western_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_reticulatus_400.jpg

Lozenge-marked Dragon (Ctenophorus scutulatus) -- big dragons that bipedal (like Crested Dragons) when running.
Ctenophorus_loz3_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_loz2_400.jpg
Ctenophorus_loz_400.jpg

Tommy Roundhead (Diporiphora australis) -- these animals were photographed at Mt. Elliott. They all show a gular fold and that is what I am using to distinguish these from the similar D. bilineata.
Diporiphora_bilineata_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata2_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata3_400.jpg

Diporiphora_australis2_400-1.jpg
Diporiphora_australis3_400-1.jpg
Diporiphora_australis1_400.jpg

Two-lined Dragons (Diporiphora bilineata) -- the first two dragons are males in breeding colours. These dragons were common at Chillagoe and inland from Cooktown, QLD.
Diporiphora_bilineata6_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata5_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata4_400.jpg

Diporiphora_bilineata7_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata8_400.jpg
Diporiphora_bilineata9_400.jpg

Canegrass Dragon (Diporiphora winneckei) -- the first 3 photos were of a young lizard on the crest of a dune at Windorah, QLD. The latter 3 photos were of a gravid female that was initially warming itself on the road near North West Cape, WA.
Diporiphora_winneckii_400.jpg
Diporiphora_winneckii2_400.jpg
Diporiphora_winnecki3_400.jpg

Diporiphora_winneckii6_400.jpg
Diporiphora_winneckii5_400.jpg
Diporiphora_winneckii4_400.jpg

Boyd's Forest Dragon (Hypsilurus boydii) -- a beautiful rainforest dragon that is restricted to a small area in tropics of far north Queensland. These animals were photographed near Daintree.
Hypsilurusboydii_400.jpg
Hypsilurusboydii2_400.jpg
Hypsilurusboydii3_400.jpg

Angleheaded Dragon (Hypsilurus spinipes) -- the southern counterpart to the Boyd's Forest Dragon. These were photographed on the Lamington Plateau.
Hypsilurus_spinipes_400.jpg
Hypsilurus_spinipes1a_400.jpg
Hypsilurus_spinipes2_400.jpg

Hypsilurus_spinipes7_400.jpg
Hypsilurus_spinipes4_400.jpg
Hypsilurus_spinipes8_400.jpg

Moloch (Moloch horridus) -- my favourite Aussie dragon that is adapted to the central and western deserts.
Moloch_horridus7_400.jpg
Moloch_horridus2_400.jpg
Moloch_horridus3_400.jpg

Moloch_horridus8_400.jpg
Moloch_horridus5_400.jpg
Moloch_horridus6_400.jpg

Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii) -- a common dragon usually near water in eastern Australia. Some live on rocks in marine environments.
Physignathus_lesueruii_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii2_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii13_40.jpg

Physignathus_lesueruii5_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii10_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii6_400.jpg

Physignathus_lesueruii8_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii12_400.jpg
Physignathus_lesueruii11_400.jpg

Eastern Bearded Dragon (Pogona barbarta) -- common in dry forests in eastern Australia.
Pogona_barbartus_400.jpg
Pogona_barbartus2_400.jpg
Pogona_barbatus3_400.jpg

Pogona_barbartus4_400.jpg
Pogona_barbartus3_400.jpg
Pogona_barbartus6_400.jpg

Dwarf Bearded Dragon (Pogona minor) -- common in coastal Western Australia.
Pogona_minor2_400.jpg
Pogona_minor4_400.jpg
Pogona_minor4_400.jpg

Central Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) -- common in central Australia. This year, I observed a male displaying from the top of a dead clump of spinifex on the Eyre Peninsula. The male was flushed yellow and conspicuous from quite a distance. As soon as I stepped out of my car, the dragon dropped a little into the spinifex and changed to a drab grey colour that blended well.
Pogona_vitticeps_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps2_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps12_400.jpg

Pogona_vitticeps4_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps9_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps5_400.jpg

Pogona_vitticeps6_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps7_400.jpg
Pogona_vitticeps8_400.jpg

Western Heath Dragon (Rankinia adelaidensis) -- I have Jordan (urodacus_au) to thank for this lizard near Perth, WA.
Rankinia_adelailensis_400.jpg
Rankinia_adelailensis2a_400.jpg

Mountain Heath Dragon (Rankinia diemensis) -- common in the Blue Mountains. I occasionally see them near Wollongong or out at Dharawal.
Rankinia_diemenensis_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemenensis2_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemenensis3_400.jpg

Rankinia_diemenensis5_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemensis13_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemensis5_400.jpg

Rankinia_diemensis6_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemenensis4_400.jpg
Rankinia_diemensis12_400.jpg

Earless Dragon (Tympanocryptis sp) -- Most of these were photographed near Windorah, Qld, where 3 species are possible. I believe that what I have photographed are T. tetraporiphora but I am not certain.
Tympanocrypti_tetraporiphora5_400.jpg
Tympanocrypti_tetraporiphora6_400.jpg
Tympanocryptistetraporiphora2_499.jpg

Tympanocryptistetraporiphora3_400.jpg
Tympanocryptis_tetra5_400.jpg
Tympanocryptis2.jpg

Tympanocryptis_tetra3_400.jpg
Tympanocryptis_tetra2_400.jpg
Tympanocryptis_tetra1_400.jpg

Perentie (Varanus giganteus) -- photos that I have posted before ... I have to go back to the interior and try for more shots! These were taken at North West Cape, WA.
Varanus_gigantus3_400.jpg
Varanus_gigantus1_400.jpg
Varanus_gigantus2_400.jpg

Gould's Monitor (Varanus gouldii) -- A common monitor across much of Australia. Sometimes, they will crouch when disturbed and they can be closely approached. Despite their size, they do blend well. One of the shots below shows the monitor leaning into a shrub ... it had been attempting to hide but did not change positions when I walked around the shrub.
Varanus_gouldii3_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii2_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii_400.jpg

Varanus_gouldii4_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii5_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii6_400.jpg

Varanus_gouldii7_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii9_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii8_400.jpg

Varanus_gouldii10_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii12_400.jpg
Varanus_gouldii11_400.jpg

Heath Monitor (Varanus rosenburgi) -- I need more recent shots of this species as well. This one was photographed at Two Peoples Bay, WA.
Varanus_heat_400.jpg
Varanus_heat2_400.jpg
Varanus_heat3_400.jpg

Merten's Water Monitor (Varanus mertensi) -- Two monitors photographed near Georgetown on the Cape York Peninsula of QLD.
Varanus_mertensi3_400.jpg
Varanus_mertensi2_400.jpg
Varanus_mertensi1_400.jpg

Yellow-spotted Monitor ( (Varanus panoptes) -- big, beautiful monitors. Photos below show both western and eastern animals.
Varanus_panoptes2_400.jpg
Varanus_panoptes_400.jpg
Varanus_panoptes3_400.jpg

Varanus_panoptes6_400.jpg
Varanus_panoptes5_400.jpg
Varanus_panoptes4_400.jpg

Varanus_panoptes9_400.jpg
Varanus_panopte10_400.jpg
Varanus_panoptes8_400.jpg

Rusty Monitor (Varanus semiremix) -- so far, the only one that I have seen. This was in the mangroves of Airlie Beach, QLD.
Varanus_rusty2_400.jpg
Varanus_rusty_400.jpg
Varanus_rusty4_400.jpg

Black-headed Monitor (Varanus tristis) -- These photos show the tiny form found in coastal Queensland, the black-headed form from inland NSW and the speckled form from WA.
Varanus_tristis2_400.jpg
Varanus_tristis4_400.jpg
Varanus_tristis3_400.jpg

LaceMonitor (Varanus varius) -- These photos are of an animal in the Warrumbungles, NSW. I followed it for 20 minutes or so. Mostly, it just ignored me and continued with its search for prey. Finally, it climbed a tree to drink water that had collected in a depression.
Varanus_varius_400.jpg
Varanus_varius2_400.jpg
Varanus_varius3_400.jpg

Regards,
David

wow, love the thorny devil and the Western Heath Dragons! :D

where abouts in the Eyre Peninsula did you get those shots of the crested dragon and Peninsular dragon

Last edited:
Thanks, all.

asper,
The two species of dragons were from Kimba and the Gawler Ranges.

richardsc,
I am still trying to get a photo of a nicely coloured male of the Gippsland. A number of years ago, I saw them along the Shoalhaven River so will need to return and try again.

Regards,
David

Wow mate those are some great pics mate. Love them all. You sure get around. Have you considered writting a book?

I totally agree with ssssnakeman!, shoud publish all your pictures of reptiles. Im sure everyone on this forum, and others, would love a copy! Keep up the great work David, Cheers, Brad.

ive got a dragon to add
Red-Barred Crevice Dragon

and the water dragon looked a little bit vampire like :) is that its or another creatures blood?

Thanks, all. At this stage, I have no plans to publish my photos. I think that the websites like Stewart's are a better way to go. They are flexible and changes to taxonomy can quickly be added. Also, websites allow for a much greater number of photos than printed material.

lizardboii,
Any photos of the dragons? I travelled to Arkaroola a couple of summers ago to try and find these. Unfortunately, the weather was hot and dry and I didn't see any at all. They look like great lizards.

Regards,
David

wow, had to give this thread a bump, that western heath is radical
i will say it again, love your threads molach

This is possibly the best thread I think I have seen on this forum. It is wonderful to see so many different species of dragons in one post. Well done to Moloch05.

The earless dragon species is definately tetraporophora. The other two species found in the area where the photo was taken is T. cephalus and T. intima. The yellow throat markings are common on breeding males of T. tetraporophora.

I think you are right with your thoughts on the temporalis and gilberti. However, I have both species in my collection so I have good reference points yet I still find it hard to determine between the 2 species without a physical examination, they are so alike. Particularly the individuals you find in the shared range.

Again well done on a terrific thread that helps to show the depth of the Australian dragons. Seventy plus species and still finding more. A wonderful group of lizards.

Hi I'm new to this site went for a walk through my local bushland looking for herps even though it was over cast found 2 eastern browns one was bright ORANGE with a brown head I'd Neva seen any thing like it also found a eastern rock gecko and a couple of blue tounges and water skinks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back