Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Given I've been enjoying some recent posts here I think it's about time I share as well. I moved from Melbourne to Adelaide for study and since moving I've had a whole new suite of animals to find. In this thread I'll post a series of short trips over the next week or so, so keep an eye on this thread for the future installments.

First up is a few shots from near Burra, a few hours north of Adelaide and home to the endangered Pygmy Bluetongue (featured on one of Attenboroughs reptile docos). Although they're similar to other Tiliqua species in appearance they have a very different ecology compared to their larger cousins. They occur in native grasslands where they live in old spider burrows and ambush any small animals that wonder too close to the entrance.

A juvenile, no more than 5cm in length. The young often stay in the mothers burrow for a few months, alternatively the mother will often move out leaving the young to stay in her old burrow. This species typically has 2-3 young each season.
IMG_7304.jpg

An adult basking in the burrow entrance.
IMG_7328.jpg

In typical ambush position at the burrow entrance.
IMG_3023.jpg

Other grassland species such as this legless lizard, Delma molleri can be found at the site.
IMG_7334.jpg

Another legless lizard, Aprasia pseudopulchella, are common in the grasslands in the cooler weather. These guys are pretty small and feed on ant and termite larvae and eggs.
IMG_2882.jpg

Gehyra lazelli occur in the valleys were it's a bit more rocky (sorry I forgot to get habitat shots!). These two individuals were quite different, the less patterned individual is likely to be an un-described species.
IMG_7357.jpg

Another inhabitant of the rocky areas is Ctenophorus decresii a common species in South Australia around Adelaide as well.
Juvenile
IMG_7341.jpg

Coloured up adult male.
IMG_2950.jpg

Morethia adelaidensis were common around the field house we stayed in.
IMG_7384.jpg

And of course Lerista bougainvillii, the most cold tolerant Lerista, with a range that extends down to Melbourne. The juveniles often have bright red/orange tails that fade with age.
IMG_7388.jpg

Near the grasslands there is a variety of other habitats including chenopod shrublands and mallee where I found the following:
Lerista punctatovittata
IMG_3048.jpg

Diplodactylus furcosus
IMG_3056.jpg

Tiliqua rugosa (the area is a bit of a Tiliqua mecca, with rugosa, occipitalis, scincoides and adelaidensis all occuring within 20kms from each other)
IMG_3067.jpg

Spiney Cheeked Honey-eaters were common
IMG_3121.jpg

Crinia signifera
IMG_3130.jpg

White Eared Honey-eater
IMG_3135.jpg

and Galah...
IMG_3140.jpg

awesome awesome post !!!!
love the blueys!, cant wait to go down there!

Nicely done Jordo. I'm yet to receive my invitation for one of these field trips...

Great series of pics there jordo. You should make this a habit-moving. Cheers.

I'm finished with Uni in May so depending on work I might have to ;)

Nicely done Jordo. I'm yet to receive my invitation for one of these field trips...

Free for a few days? I'm leaving in 2 hours, the weather is too good to waste at the moment.

Excellent, Jordo. The shots were all very nice but I especially enjoyed those of the Pygmy Bluetongue. It was nice to see the burrow shot and their approach to hunting.

Regards,
David

Yeah, they're fascinating animals, really different to the other species in the genus.

This next selection of photos is from The Flinders Ranges right up through the Gibber country to northern SA.

Tree skink, Egernia striolata
IMG_3291.jpg

Heteronotia binoie
IMG_3305.jpg

Strophurus intermedius
IMG_3319.jpg

Zebra Finch found in it's nest at night
IMG_3323.jpg

Delma australis, a common legless lizard found in leaf litter.
IMG_3331.jpg

P. vitticeps
IMG_3350.jpg

DOR Pseudonaja aspidoryncha - I've seen plenty DOR but yet to see a live one
IMG_3359.jpg

Western Netted Dragon, Ctenophorus reticulatus
IMG_3365.jpg

Varanus gouldii
IMG_3378.jpg

Ctenophorus tjantjalka
IMG_4352.jpg

Tympanocryptis tetraporophora
IMG_4362.jpg

Ophidiocephalus taeniatus - this was one of our main targets of that particular trip and we were pretty happy to find four individuals.
IMG_2786.jpg

Gehyra montium
IMG_2766.jpg

Sturt's Desert Pea (the floral emblem of South Australia)
IMG_2792.jpg

Tiliqua scincoides
IMG_2806.jpg

Pseudechis australis
IMG_2819.jpg

Lerista edwardsae
IMG_2863.jpg

Liopholis margaretae
IMG_2876.jpg

Great pics as always!

What's the succulent behind the Ctenophorus tjantjalka? I'm familiar with the country but not that plant. Unless it's an exotic?

Nice animals, really nice pics of Bynoes, D.australis and Ophidiocephalus, I know how hard Lerista are to photograph so you did a great job with that one too.

Thanks folks.
Steve, I didn't have a good look at it at the time but I think it's a pigs ear. I think it was different to the pigs ears I've seen around the coast though as they were all very small but it could just be a different growth form in the rocky areas.

I accidentally mixed up this next lot of photos when I uploaded them.

Hemiergis decresiensis
IMG_3240.jpg

Pseudophryne bibroni
IMG_3273.jpg

Austrelaps superbus
IMG_5111.jpg

Delma impar - an endangered grasslands species, one of the most stunning Delmas (in my opinion)
IMG_5124.jpg

Lerista timida
IMG_2553.jpg

Diplodactylus galeatus
IMG_2573.jpg

Lucasium byrnei
IMG_2581.jpg

Pseudonaja affins, juvenile
IMG_5353.jpg

Pogona barbata, juvenile
IMG_5362.jpg

Tiliqua occipitalis
IMG_5380.jpg

Ramphotyphlops biturberculatus
IMG_5408.jpg

Lialis burtonis
IMG_5435.jpg

Lucasium damaeum
IMG_4982.jpg

Pseudemoia baudini
IMG_5449.jpg

Nephrurus deleani
IMG_5015.jpg

Hemiergis peroni
IMG_5483.jpg

Ctenotus schomburgkii
IMG_5020.jpg

Lerista arenicola
IMG_5484.jpg

Ctenotus taeniatus
IMG_5038.jpg

Pseudonaja inframacula DOR
IMG_5489.jpg

Neobatrachus centralis
IMG_5040.jpg

Diplodactylus calcicolus
IMG_5491.jpg

Eremiascincus richardsonii
IMG_5509.jpg

Ctenophorus vadnappa, coloured up male.
IMG_5076.jpg

Hemiergis millawae
IMG_5518.jpg

Strophurus intermedius
IMG_5530.jpg

Tympanocryptis intima
IMG_5066.jpg

Ctenophorus fionni, female
IMG_5566.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots Jordo. How do you get shot of the lizards as when I try they take off before I can get close enough.
What equipment are you using?

They are exceptional photo's, especially the one of the Desert Pea.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back