Photos from Italy, Sep 2013

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
My wife, younger daughter and I are at the end of a three week holiday to Italy. It has been lots of fun and we have seen so many interesting things. At the moment, we are staying in Amalfi but we start our return journey tomorrow. Amalfi is my favourite place in Italy and it would have to be one of the most beautiful places on the planet. The coastline is rugged and the little town of Amalfi is just stunning with interesting, old buildings of such a distinctive style. I will start with town and habitat shots to give a feel for the area. As always, this is more of a natural history report rather than one of reptiles only.

Amalfi
amalfi2_zps0e6a2287.jpg

amalfi3a_zps10fd0038.jpg

Amalfi19a_zpsd63f2e19.jpg

Amalfi20_zps2bc8861c.jpg

amalfi10a_zpsfa2c532a.jpg

amalfi16_zpse5ef4bbc.jpg

The Amalfi Coast:
Sentierodeglidei5_zps1f274534.jpg

amalfi12_zpsb42d34b6.jpg

amalfi13_zps16a656dc.jpg

Ravello is a village high above Amalfi. We walked there on a few occasions. It is great exercise with several hundred steps up the steep hillside. The views from the top were superb.
AlexiaHotelRufolo_zps1e89a5d6.jpg

Ravello1_zps26b0dcbf.jpg

The Amalfi area has an excellent trail system. I walked these daily especially when my wife and daughter decided to shop.
amalfi17_zps672d4232.jpg

amalfi18a_zpsee97f9d7.jpg

Sentierodeglidei9_zps2e2c792e.jpg

Wall Geckos (Tarentola mauritanica): These were large, day-active geckos. I usually found them on the shaded sides of rock walls.
MoorishGecko1_zps340f25e5.jpg

MoorishGecko2_zps3cbda669.jpg

I think that these are Italian Wall Lizards (Podarcis sicula) although Common Wall Lizards (Podarcis muralis) may also be possible. These were abundant lizards. At times, I would see 10 or more at the same time on rock walls. Their colour and pattern varied greatly.
WallLizard1_zpscb1243aa.jpg

Walllizard11_zps0c806a3c.jpg

WallLizard8_zpsd4ea7db9.jpg

WallLizard5_zps3fcbd2e4.jpg

WallLizard3_zps3764ed13.jpg

WallLizard17_zpseae0cedc.jpg

WallLizard15_zpsd13bbc04.jpg

wallLizard4_zps29ef9678.jpg

Western Whip Snake (Hierophis viridiflavus): I saw these snakes daily. They were fast and no doubt would capture the wall lizards as prey. They defend themselves with vigour and my hands were bleeding once I finished photographing these snakes. The first shot below was of a juvenile and the second was of an adult.
WesternWhipSnakeHierophisviridiflavus2_zpsda556a0e.jpg

WesternWhipSnakeHierophisviridiflavus1_zps41920063.jpg

WesternWhipSnakeHierophisviridiflavus3_zps14892868.jpg

WesternWhipSnakeHierophisviridiflavus4_zps7febb776.jpg

WesternWhipSnakeHierophisviridiflavus5_zps605f41d8.jpg

Southern Comma (Polygonia egea): I saw this interesting small nymphalid only twice.
SouthernCommaPolygoniaegea2_zpsa25a0b74.jpg

SouthernCommaPolygoniaegea1_zpsed747110.jpg

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui): This was a common species.
PaintedLady_zpsf927019b.jpg

Silver-washed Fritillary (Argynnis paphia): One of the commonest butterflies at the moment. They sometimes were attracted in large numbers to a particular flower as is obvious in one of the shots below.
Fritillary2_zps7af5e920.jpg

Fritillary3_zpsa9d3912c.jpg

Fritillary4_zps0404d65a.jpg

Silver-washedFritillaryArgynnispaphia1_zpsac2a2f92.jpg

... females were darker and more heavily spotted than the males.
Fritillary1_zpsfa83dcdc.jpg

Southern White Admiral (Limenitis reducta): Not common but I saw it a few times.
SouthernWhiteAdmiral3_zps1caf5284.jpg

SouthernWhiteAdmiral1_zps4e45670a.jpg

Two-tailed Pasha (Charaxes jasius): This is my new favourite butterfly. They were pugnacious creatures that chased any other large butterfly that approached the dead trees where they stood guard. They would even fly at my face if I walked within a couple of meters of their perches.
Two-tailedPasha15a_zpse13859ba.jpg

Two-tailedPasha14_zpsc3d3e263.jpg

Two-tailedPasha16_zps72b44ee3.jpg

Wall Browns (Lasiommata megera): A common small satyrinae.
satyrinae1_zps3fe24545.jpg

satyrinae1a_zps3c6061ec.jpg

Lesser Woodland Grayling (Hipparchia genava): common on this trip.
satyrinae2_zpsab65315f.jpg

satyrinae5_zpse588ad2e.jpg

... no!
satyrinae2a_zps6f93e2b0.jpg

Tree Greyling (Hipparchia statilinus): A very common species in the hills.
TreeGTreeGraylingHipparchiastatilinus1_zpsc7409a12.jpg

TreeGraylingHipparchiastatilinus2_zps4283aeec.jpg

Greyling (Hipparchia semele)?: I saw this species a few times. It was not as common as the above two Greylings.
satyrinae4_zps9072a856.jpg

Clouded Yellow (Coleus crocea): A few were seen every day.
CloudedYellowColeuscrocea3_zps10e7872e.jpg

CloudedYellowColeuscrocea2_zps37da2d3c.jpg

Berger's Clouded Yellows (Coleus facariensis)?: Only seen a couple of times.
BergersCloudedYellowsCfacariensis1_zps53aa624b.jpg

Bath Whites (Pontia edusa): Seen a few times.
BathWhitesPontiaedusa3_zps134b2fbc.jpg

BathWhitesPontiaedusa2_zpsb22d29d4.jpg

Small White (Pieris rapae)?: This butterfly was smaller than the species illustrated below.
WhitePierissp_zps00427021.jpg

Large White (Pieris brassicae): As the name implies, this was a large Pieris. I saw them several times.
WhitePierissp2_zps36ecc71b.jpg

WhitePierissp3_zps3171410e.jpg

WhitePierissp4_zpsd2ddd4c9.jpg

Common Blues (Polyommatus icarus)?
blue1_zps3a383f6e.jpg

Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeus): I only found one of these pretty lycaenids.
SmallCopperLycaenaphlaeus1_zpsf5892c34.jpg

SmallCopperLycaenaphlaeus2_zps62e36050.jpg

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus)?: Only a few were encountered.
skipper1_zps2d6844b7.jpg

skipper2_zpsa5da3b03.jpg

I will add more shots later from Como, Florence and Assisi.

You've taken some great shots there David. What a beautiful place to have a holiday.
I suppose it's starting to cool down there, just as it's starting to heat up down under.
Thanks for sharing your account of a gorgeous part of the world with us.

Some wonderful pics of a spectacular corner of the world... Italy is next on my list of places to go... Thanks for sharing...

Hey mate!

Nice photos ...

This Podarcis species are really hard to tell apart, though I think what you have here are P. sicula, mostly males.... wonderful! Podarcis muralis are not green nor do they have blue "gems" on their flanks. Amongst thousand or so P. muralis I have seen so far there was only one with blue speckles ...

Here is an example of a subspecies of muralis in our Primorska region here in slovenia (only kilometers from Italy)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 48
Woah... Absolutely speechless, one day, one day...
Hey, umm what type of camera were you using? They are some UNREAL shots you got there :3

Ahh the old mother country :) Some absolutely beautiful shots of the landscape and animals David. Did you get to see any vipers or western green lizards? My favourites of the country :)

Bushman,
Thanks. The weather is still warm but temps were dropping. Days were usually 23C or so with night temps at 17C. It was very pleasant in the evening to sit in the main piazza and have a glass of wine while taking in the soft lights and music.

Thanks, sd1981.

Nik,
Thanks very much for the info on separating these species and the photo. I have shots of what I assume were muralis from Como. Do you post photos of your finds? I would love to see more shots of the Euro herps.

Tristan,
Thanks. I use a Canon 7D with several lenses. Tamron 180mm macro for butterflies and lizards, Canon 100mm macro for snakes, Canon 50mm and 35mm for places and Sigma 12-20 wide angle for habitats.

Thanks, Thals. The Amalfi area of Italy is especially good and my favourite part of the country. Unfortunately, no luck with either vipers or green lizards. I watched for both but had not success.

- - - Updated - - -

More Italian Wall Lizards:
WallLizard18_zps10e0afe3.jpg

WallLizard16_zps8ba27974.jpg

WallLizard19_zps5ef8550c.jpg

WallLizard2_zpsb80ced91.jpg

WallLizard10_zps4c07f3d9.jpg

WallLizard7_zpsa8e62eee.jpg

WallLizard12_zps4ae93ba6.jpg

WallLizard9_zpsecf6108e.jpg

WallLizard13_zps9be9ea75.jpg

first light:
amalfi2a_zpsd71ef141.jpg

Duomo of Amalfi at night:
amalfi11a_zpsf38cb3de.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ASSISI, UMBRIA
Assisi_zps5ffc454a.jpg

Habitat was a mixture of secondary growth, farmland and olive orchards.
Assisi4_zpsace2aa44.jpg

Italian Wall Lizards (Podarcis siculus)
walllizard1_zps6eba24fa.jpg

WallLizard2_zps59550617.jpg

WallLizard3_zps0ad49aae.jpg

WallLizard4_zps902244dc.jpg

Swallowtail:
Swallowtail_zpsb6d2382d.jpg

FLORENCE, TOSCANA

no herp shots here, just a few of the incredible buildings.

Duomo of Florence:
Duomo10_zpsa5fa8467.jpg

Duomo1_zps72d68673.jpg

Florence2_zps216408a2.jpg

Florence1_zps88b5b2e5.jpg

Ponte Vecchio
PonteVecchio2_zps5900c540.jpg

COMO: This is a beautiful place in the north of Italy.
LakeComo1_zpsd0c9c19f.jpg

Bellagio1_zpse0d40a17.jpg

LakeComo6_zps22ba24ca.jpg

habitat:
LakeComohabitat_zps4821683f.jpg

Common Wall Lizards (Podarcis muralis)
WallLizard4_zpsa3b6f4e6.jpg

WallLizard5_zpseef4d1dc.jpg

WallLizard1_zps302cb9ae.jpg

WallLizard3_zps07bf9526.jpg

WallLizard6_zps8551a834.jpg

Lesser Woodland Grayling (Hipparchia genava): These would lay flat in the leaf litter when sunning in the early morning.
satyrinae1_zps3a4f905e.jpg

Fritillary. I am not certain of the species. There are several similar possibilities. The females looked quite different to Silver-washed Fritillaries that I saw in Amalfi.
Fritillary2_zps6de6b74a.jpg

Fritillary1_zps6c296b7e.jpg

Chequered Blue (Scolitantides orion)
blue1a_zpsc3d7963a.jpg

Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria):
SpeckledWood1_zps5a41e38d.jpg

Last edited:
Hey mate!

Nice photos ...

This Podarcis species are really hard to tell apart, though I think what you have here are P. sicula, mostly males.... wonderful! Podarcis muralis are not green nor do they have blue "gems" on their flanks. Amongst thousand or so P. muralis I have seen so far there was only one with blue speckles ...

Here is an example of a subspecies of muralis in our Primorska region here in slovenia (only kilometers from Italy)

Weirdly, most of the P. muralis we get here have blue speckles on their flanks.

naivepom: where have you seen this P. muralis, I mean those with blue speckles?

I see them daily here in Slovenia and as I have said before, only one had blue speckles, yet they were not on the flanks but near cloaca.
And oddly enough, the vent was not red as usually seen in males, but yellow. I assumed it was not entirely mature.

Again, Podarcis spp. are , at least for me, pretty much the same ...

moloch05: on you request some photos in the field herping section

photos in the field herping section

naivepom: where have you seen this P. muralis, I mean those with blue speckles?

I see them daily here in Slovenia and as I have said before, only one had blue speckles, yet they were not on the flanks but near cloaca.
And oddly enough, the vent was not red as usually seen in males, but yellow. I assumed it was not entirely mature.

Again, Podarcis spp. are , at least for me, pretty much the same ...

Jersey, UK - just had a quick dig through my pics and have attached a pretty classic example below. The variability is massive with this species here with some being bright green, some being emerald some being blue all over.

View attachment 297705

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back