Photos: JPEG vs RAW explained.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the link, I always shoot in RAW format, use lightroom for post production and export it as a JPEG.

Me too and I tweak images in Photoshop. Once you get the hang of "developing" raw images you won't go back to shooting jpegs.

I tweak my RAW psammophis shots so they look like flagellatio.

That's a good link to an informative and useful discussion.
I'm sure that some of the budding photographers on here will benefit greatly from reading this article. 8)
The advantages of shooting in Raw format are convincing and shooting in both formats is getting the best of both worlds. Certainly worth considering.
Thanks for posting that H.

Oh yeah, I meant to point out. This article is largely correct except for one point. JPEGs do not degrade by simply opening them. That's wrong. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Only if you try and modify it- then you lose information.

Otherwise it's very good.

Echiopis: I've only ever taken one Lerista photo of a bougainvilli. I just tweak it so it looks more or less like every other member of the genus.

Not a bad article, but the jpegs that come out of most cameras nowadays are more than sufficient for most people, provided they are shooting them at the highest setting which many cameras mark as large or fine.

Contrary to what the article says, a good quality jpeg is not extremely sensitive to editing and can be pushed around a lot in photoshop with good results. Provided you keep your original jpeg and work on a duplicate, you can do a wide range of things in post. You only loose quality when you save and close the file, but you can still do this numerous times without any noticeable visible degradation. If you are a confident photographer and know how to expose and white balance, your jpegs should need little if any adjustment.

Jpegs are processed in camera from the raw data to provide the average expectation of how the photo should look, eg contrast, saturation, brightness etc.
If you are going to do this yourself from the RAW file then you need to be confident that your screen is properly calibrated if you want good results.

It's a good exercise to shoot both RAW and a jpeg (an option available on many cameras) and then develop the RAW file yourself. Does the resulting file look better then the jpeg? If you're not too cluey with the RAW software then the jpeg can often look better! (after all, a hell of a lot of work went into developing the algorithms that process the raw camera data into an optimal jpeg).

Of course if you a really serious about photography then you'll want images that give you maximum quality and flexibility, and then the answer is resoundingly RAW, but don't think shooting in RAW will make you a better photographer!

If you are going to do this yourself from the RAW file then you need to be confident that your screen is properly calibrated if you want good results.

It's a good exercise to shoot both RAW and a jpeg (an option available on many cameras) and then develop the RAW file yourself. Does the resulting file look better then the jpeg? If you're not too cluey with the RAW software then the jpeg can often look better! (after all, a hell of a lot of work went into developing the algorithms that process the raw camera data into an optimal jpeg).

Of course if you a really serious about photography then you'll want images that give you maximum quality and flexibility, and then the answer is resoundingly RAW, but don't think shooting in RAW will make you a better photographer!

Calibrated screens are one thing, and calibrating is very important. But just as important is having a good enough screen to begin with. If your screen has a low contrast ratio and poor colour rendition, your pictures are going to look horrid. (IPS monitors on my laptop and desktop for this very reason.)

And setting your camera to RAW+JPEG is pretty much the best way to go about things this way, makes your life that much easier when you are uploading to facebook. <.<

If you want to be a better photographer, learn to use MF and shutter speed. It helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back