Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
Last Spring, I visited Dharawal Nature Reserve on several locations. This reserve is only about a 20 minute drive from Wollongong. It is a great place for frogs, lizards and flowers. In this post, I will include photos of reptiles and flowers and in the next post, the incredible frogs that I found in the reserve.

I visited two parts of this park. One area was in the vicinity of Maddens Falls.
maddenFalls1.jpg

maddenFalls2.jpg

... there is a gap behind the waterfall and it is big enough to crawl into
maddenFalls3.jpg

I found a few Eastern Water Dragons (Physignathus lesueurii) in the vicinity of the falls.
waterDragon2_29Aug.jpg

waterDragon3.jpg

... I found this one asleep in a shallow crevice one night when I was searching for frogs:
waterDragon1.jpg

The most common reptile along the creeks was the Eastern Water Skink (Eulamprus quoyii).
waterSkink1.jpg

... an "affectionate" pair. The rock was big but they appeared to want to be in contact.
waterSkink3.jpg

Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis)
ThreeToe1_23Aug.jpg

Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotum).
RedThroatedSkink1a_29Aug.jpg

RedThroatedSkink2a_29Aug.jpg

The second area that I visited was drier. I followed a road that passed along sandy ridgetops with outcrops of sandstone.
habitat5.jpg

habitat7.jpg

habitat6.jpg

I saw different reptiles here. Among them was this Cryptoblepharus sp. Dharawal is the nearest place to Wollongong where I have seen this skink.
crypto1-1.jpg

Copper-tailed Skinks (Ctenotus taeniolatus) were only seen in the dry, sandy areas on the ridgetops.
coppertail1.jpg

Mountain Heath Dragons (Rankinia diemensis) were found both here and along the track to Maddens Falls.
jacky2-1.jpg

Jacky Lizards (Amphibolurus muricatus) were also widespread and occurred in both the riparian and drier habitats.
jacky1.jpg

jacky2.jpg

I found this basking Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) early one morning. It appeared to be cold and ignored me for several minutes.
brown2.jpg

brown3.jpg

brown4.jpg

Scorpion Fly with its victim.
cranefly.jpg

The spring flowers were spectacular. Here are a few of the species that I observed.
Spotted Sun Orchid (Thelymitra ixioides)
orchid2.jpg

... their flowers would close in the late afternoon
orch6.jpg

a Finger Orchid
orch4.jpg

Members of the pea family were particularly abundant. Many of these were spectacular.
wattles26Aug.jpg

pea_28Aug.jpg

pea8.jpg

pea6.jpg

pea5.jpg

pea3.jpg

pea1.jpg

The Protea family (Proteaceae) was also well represented
grevillea1.jpg

grevillea1.jpg

grevillea2.jpg

waratah1.jpg

waratah2.jpg

A stunning Boronia
heath3.jpg

flower5.jpg

Others, such as this fan flower (Scaevola sp.):
flower2.jpg

Pink Wax Flower (Eriostemon australasius)
waxflower2.jpg

Hybanthus sp.
flower3.jpg

Ricinocarpus sp.
flower1-1.jpg

Fairies Aprons (Utricularia dichotoma) -- an insectivorous plant
fairyapron1.jpg

Sundew
sundew_29Aug.jpg

sundew2_29Aug.jpg

The best of the flower season spanned from the end of August to the end of October.

nice pics!!! btw the second jacky photo is actually a mountain dragon

Thanks for the comments.

W.T.Buy,
What feature are you using to separate the two?

serpenttongue,
Yes, along Darkes Forest road. The walk to the falls commences from a parking lot opposite an apple orchard. The dry country area was further west along Darkes Forest Road and along a sandy track.

Regards,
David

One of my favorite places, though I havn't seen many snakes there, well compaired to the amount of frogs in the area you'd think there would be more?? I probably went down there 30 times last season, a good short walk for the kids.

Stunning pics as always. Would have been lovely to see the entire shrubs of the Grevilleas and Telopeas. Also one of my favourite Eriostemons, extremely hard to grow in a nursery environment. Where there any of the white australasius?

I believe those to be Grevillea bronwenea Grevillea longifolia and Telopea speciosissima.

Deffinatly Telopea speciosissima. The caladenia looks like Caladenia carnea. Love the erect Drosera, not sure on the species, we get a similar species but much less robust here, D. pelata

Thanks for all the comments and then help with the plant identifications (and lizard id correction).

Sassy,
I don't think that I have any full plant shots but here are a few others.

These two are from Heathcote but I believe that they are the same species as those at Dharawal
grevillea.jpg

grevillea3-1.jpg

... from Dharawal
grevillea1-2.jpg

grevillea2-1.jpg

myrtaceae1.jpg

... a waratah from Wollongong
teleopea1.jpg

Regards,
David

Great pics as always David. Mountain Dragons can be distinguised from Jackys by the presence of tubercles at the base of the tail.

Thanks, MrBredli. That feature can easily be seen in these photos.

Regards,
David

the big red flowers...i think JasonL..aslo had some in his thread?
wow...didnt think i like red that much?

Thanks.

Dragonlady,
Waratahs (big red flowers) are spectacular in the spring. Several years ago, there was a fire along the top of the escarpment just west of Wollongong. For the next couple of years, the waratah display in the spring was incredible. Now, the other plants have regenerated and they crowd and overtake most of the waratahs. I could still see flowers last spring but many of the flowers seemed stunted and the display was not nearly as spectacular.

Regards,
David

far out, those are stunning photos of flowers!
so much colour in the photos, would love to see them in real life.
: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back