Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I have just returned from an eight day trip to South Australia. As usual, I clocked up many kilometers (over 6000) so spent hours in the car. This was my first herping trip to this part of Australia and there were many beautiful dragons in the genus Ctenophorus that I hoped to photograph. Unfortunately, my trip and sightings were curtailed somewhat by car problems ... the outback of SA is not a good place to break down ... but I found a few of my targets.

I will begin with Kimba area. Kimba is a small town located at the northern end of the Eyre Peninsula and it is the half-way point when driving from the east coast to the west coast. Kimba was a 22 hour drive from Wollongong.
kimba.jpg

I spent most of my time about 20km east of the little town in the Lake Gillies Conservation Park. The habitat here was mallee (a shrubby eucalpytus) with spinifex and bluebush (a chenopod) understorey.
habitatLakeGilles1.jpg

habitatLakeGilles1a.jpg

Lake Gillies is one of the many salt lakes of South Australia.
habitatLakeGilles2.jpg

habitatLakeGilles3.jpg

I also examined shrublands further east (80km) between Kimba and Port Augusta.
habitat_eyre1.jpg

... a remote station:
habitat8GawlerRanges.jpg

In the mallee of Lake Gillies, I soon found one of the dragons on my wish list. It was the fairly large, Crested Dragon (Ctenophorus cristatus). Males of this species are strikingly marked lizards that will bipedal when scurrying away.
dragon_crested1a.jpg

dragon_crested3.jpg

... I assume that this is a female due to the drab colouration:
dragon_crested7-1.jpg

dragon_crested6.jpg

I also saw a few Painted Dragons (Ctenophorus pictus). These lizards tended to live in shrubs near the edge of the salt lake.
dragon_painted1.jpg

dragon_painted2.jpg

... this one was sunning at the top of a shrub. While I watched it, it spotted an insect on the ground a couple of meters away. It leapt from the shrub and then raced over to the insect that attempted to fly away. The dragon jumped up, snatched it out the air and did a flip before landing again on the sand. It was an agile creature!
dragon_painted5.jpg

dragon_painted3.jpg

Central Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps) lived in the mallee woodland. This highly cropped photo shows a male that appears to be advertising its presence from the top of a dead clump of spinifex. The yellow made the lizard conspicuous even from a fair distance. As soon as I stepped out of the car, the lizard dropped a little into the grass and instantly turned off its "bright lights". It then blended well and allowed me to closely approach it.
dragon_central_bearded2.jpg

dragon_central_bearded1.jpg

dragon_central_bearded6.jpg

This bearded dragon ran from the road and hid in a thicket. It blended well and was easy to loose even though it was a large lizard.
dragon_central_bearded7.jpg

Central Bearded Dragons from the shrublands east of Kimba looked quite different to those from the mallee. I saw many as they sunned themselves from the tops of bluebush one morning. All were about the same size and were much smaller than their mallee-inhabiting relatives. Their colouration was also different with an orange stripe on the face. I have never read of different races of this dragon occurring on the Eyre Peninsula so I suppose that the differences are just habitat related adaptations. Dwarf Bearded Dragons (Pogona minor) also occur in the western half of South Australia but the field guide indicates that they do not have spines across the throat.
dragon_central_bearded4.jpg

dragon_central_bearded3.jpg

dragon_central_bearded9-1.jpg

Skinks included this Southern Mallee Ctenotus (Ctenotus atlas), a lifer to me. Ctenotus skinks are often hard to identify but this species has a distinctive pattern of stripes without spots.
skink_ctenotus_atlas1.jpg

I saw my first Desert Skink (Egernia inornata) on the road at night. It appeared to be a very fast "gecko" that allowed me to approach it but then it raced off before I could take a photo. Desert Skinks are crepuscular/nocturnal skinks.

This Edward's Slider (Lerista edwardsae) is one of the endemics of the Eyre Peninsula. This species lacks front legs and it is one of the sand swimmers. I was lucky to see it on the road at night.
skink_lerista1.jpg

skink_lerista2.jpg

Shingelbacks (Tiliqua rugosa) were common on the road in the mornings and then again late in the day when the temperatures were a little cooler.
skink_shingleback1.jpg

skink_shingleback5.jpg

I strangely did not see any geckos on the road near Kimba on either of my two night drives. Temperatures/moon phase were good but they just were not out. I had hoped to find Starred Knob-tailed Geckos (Nephrurus stellatus), a species with most of its range in South Australia.

I did see a few snakes. These included two Jan's Banded Snakes (Simoselaps bertholdii). Aussie elapids in general are a sombre lot but the little Simoselaps are one of the few exceptions and are flamboyantly patterned. They also have an interesting life style. They spend much of their time beneath the surface of the sand where they hunt skinks such as the Lerista included in the above photos. Simoselaps are far more interesting to me than their bigger and more venomous relatives.

... snake 1
snake_simoselaps4.jpg

snake_simoselaps2.jpg

snake_simoselaps3.jpg

... snake 2
snake_simoselaps1.jpg

snake_simoselaps7.jpg

I also found two Southern Shovel-nosed Snakes (Brachyurophis semiannulata). They also were coloured differently to those that I have seen at Kalbarri, WA. Here in SA, they seem to be brick red whereas those from the west were yellow. This species has a very specialized diet that consists of reptile eggs.

... snake 1
snake_brachyurophis4.jpg

snake_brachyurophis3.jpg

snake_brachyurophis1a.jpg

... snake 2
snake_brachyurophis2.jpg

snake_brachyurophis1.jpg

I encountered two live and one DOR blind snakes. I think that these were Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus due to the trilobed snout. This species is one of the smaller blind snakes.

... snake 1
snake_typhlops2.jpg

snake_typhlops1a.jpg

... snake 2
snake_typhlops1.jpg

Regards,
David

Thanks Kirby and Ryan.

... I forgot to include photos of a friendly Gould's Monitor (Varanus gouldii). This goanna was not worried by my presence and it allowed me to get quite close for photos. When I finished, I moved to the shade of a nearby tree to review the pics that I had just taken. As I stood up to leave, I found that the monitor had walked over to me and was watching me as I sat there ... kind of odd to have the roles reversed.
monitor_goulds1.jpg

monitor_goulds2.jpg

Regards,
David

... correction:

"Brachyurophis semiannulata" should read "Brachyurophis semifasciatus"

Top pics David - the snakes are stunning. I just got back from SA today, they have some great herps.

great pics mate.....will have to go down there one day ........im off to the Kimberly's in 7 months....maybe next year

Amazing pic's mate. Was there in dec and was much less fortunate than yourself. am green with envy. keep the pics coming.

David,
That Bearded Draogn that ran off the road into the thicket, was that positively Id as a vitticeps? How large was it? I only ask as the animal pictured does look similar to Pogona minor I have seen further west. P. minor are found at Pinkawillini (? on spelling) which is just west of Kimba. If it were a minor it would probably have to be the most easterly record.

Daniel

Loved the vitticeps, great pics Moloch,
Cheers
Adam

Thanks, everyone.

Daniel,
I looked back at my pics and unfortunately do not have a throat shot of the dragon. I cannot say positively that it was vitticeps or minor. The lizard was about 30km west of Kimba along the dirt road to Darkes Peak.

Regards,
David

By the way, Daniel, did you take photos of Ctenophorus fioni? I read that they vary greatly in appearance from one mountain range to another.

Regards,
David

David,
I'd put money on that being a minor.
As for Peninsula Dragons, I'm pretty average when it comes to photography, so I dont have any pics, but there is quite some variation in the dragons I have seen.
If you head up to Woomera they have red bars along the sides of their body, the ones around Pt Lincoln are dark with white dots across their back and orange "lips". Then as you go west the Mt Finke animals are blue/grey with lighter dots acreoss their back and a bright orange head. These are of course the male colourations, the females tend to be brown animals.

Daniel

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

Here are a few more pics from this area:

... another couple of shots of the beautiful Simoselaps:
snake_simoselaps8.jpg

snake_simoselaps5.jpg

... another Crested Dragon:
dragon_crested10.jpg

... another Painted Dragon:
dragon_painted6.jpg

... another Central Bearded Dragon from the shrublands 80km east of Kimba:
dragon_central_bearded11.jpg

... in addition to Bluebush (Maireana astrotricha), saltbush (Atriplex sp.) also grows in the shrublands.
atriplex.jpg

Regards,
David

that last pic isn't a blue bush, it's a smoke bush, ptilotis obovata. just a guess at the spelling. same genus as the mulla mulla in one of your other pics.

All stunning pictures, yes the Simoselaps are very striking animals, thanks for sharing what must have been a great trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back