pics from the Blue Mountains today

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moloch05

Reaction score
I decided to take my son on a walk in the Blue Mountains today before my next work trip tomorrow. We had a great day although the weather was initially wet. We drove over the mountains to Lithgow and then waited until the weather began to improve in the mid-morning. We then returned to the York Lookout area above Mt. Victoria, Pulpit Rock and finally, the spectacular Hanging Rock area. We did not see many reptiles early but there were many lizards active in the afternoon. Unfortunately, we did not see any snakes.

Here are the lizards that we encountered:
Cunningham's Skink (Egernia cunninghami) -- habitat
habitat1.jpg

... lizard
cunninghams1.jpg

cunninghams2.jpg

These shots were from the Pulpit Rock area. The weather was still cool and we saw no reptiles at all while walking here:
habitat2.jpg

nick1.jpg

Finally, we headed to the Hanging Rock area. This involved a walk of 4km through eucalyptus forest and a few open, heath habitats. After about an hour, we reached these scenic cliffs.
habitat3.jpg

habitat4.jpg

... a gorgeous place
habitat5.jpg

habitat7.jpg

... Hanging Rock. It is possible for the fearless to walk out onto this incredible formation.
hangingrock2.jpg

... notice the gap between the main portion of the cliffs and the Hanging Rock formation. There is about a 1m gap so it is not difficult to jump across ... but the drop would be fatal if anything went wrong.
hangingrock3.jpg

nick2.jpg

Red-throated Skink (Acritoscincus platynotus) -- one of the most common skinks in the area.
redthroatedskink1.jpg

redthroatedskink2.jpg

Copper-tailed Skink (Ctenotus taeniolatus) -- common just above the cliffs.
coppertailed1.jpg

coppertailed2.jpg

White's Skink (Egernia whitii) -- this one was sleepy and it seemed to be enjoying the afternoon sun.
whitesSkink1.jpg

Mountain Dragon (Tympanocryptis diemensis) -- these were numerous and we also saw many young of the year.
heathDragon1.jpg

heathDragon2.jpg

Lampropholis delicata
lampropholisDelicata1.jpg

lampropholisGuichenoti.jpg

Stylidium - we saw two species of trigger plants. This was the larger of the two.
styllidium.jpg

Fantastic pic's. A pleasure to look at. Thank you for taking the time to post them. You have inspired me to do some walking in the mountains now!

Now that , is the real stuff , thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back