Piet's Albino BHPs - Updated Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some recent pics of Piet's albino BHPs. For those who haven't heard about these BHPs, they were bred in the Netherlands by Piet Nyten, who also happened to breed the original granite Western Papuan Carpets. Pics of the granites can be found on his website - http://www.moreliagranites.com/main.html

nov2005albinorazem021.jpg

alpoooo.jpg

Nice colours, I'm not a real fan of albinos but I don't mind those guys, still prefer the regular colouration though.

Holy shamoly that's awesome :D. I like the white spots down its back

The patterning colour does it for me - amazing orange - interesting where bhps 'brown out' it has albino white there.
I just hate the head though - looks like is has had an acid dip or been skun or something.
that colour banding and a blackhead and would be awesome!!

That is just beautiful, I just love albinos. I see what you mean though Adam, it would be nice with say an orange head.
Iceman, I don't think anyone was saying it's the first one.

nice lookin snake???? soo are they available in australia??? if i was rich i would get one lol

Great looking snake, i also love the white patches down the back (why not bred in australia? i hate seeing this overseas)

Why do you hate seeing this overseas ? He was very lucky to have had this animal hatch, it wasn't bred here because no-one here had the good fortune to breed it.

As most of the (albino) australian species bred, usually seem to be bred in countries other than oz, and i would like to see more of these "firsts" happen in oz, as these are OUR natives. But it is still good to see it happen 'full stop' than it not happen at all, even if it is'nt in oz.

Congo

That is amazing, looks fantastic white head or black I'd take one anyday!

congo_python said:
As most of the (albino) australian species bred, usually seem to be bred in countries other than oz, and i would like to see more of these "firsts" happen in oz, as these are OUR natives. But it is still good to see it happen 'full stop' than it not happen at all, even if it is'nt in oz.

Congo
What do you mean? I don't know one albino Aussie apart from BHP that have been bred overseas and not here, we have the Olives, Darwin Carpets, Central Beardies and there is a leucistic maculosus held by QPWS.

I don't know a great deal about genetics. I am certain there are people on this site with "phd" at the end of their name that will blow me out of the water. However, from what I understand an albino is merely a mutation. Most animals we know have evolved over millions of years to be what they are today. OK, so some guy called De Vries reckoned that evolution is a product of mutations. But, anyway, back to my point. In the wild, you will probably see the same number of albinos as you do in captivity.... until ... you start getting them in captivity, that is to say that getting your first albino is a matter of chance and probably the same chance as a wild one. But as the wild ones are not following their evolutionary path chances are they will not survive as well as the captive ones. And there is probably less in breeding in the wild so maybe their chances are lower.

Once you have an albino you can then work out which animals will carry the gene (I remember "splits" as we used to call them in the bird world). Even though they look normal you can still selectively breed them. So maybe the reason that these things happen overseas is that they are kept in much less natural conditions than in Australia, there is more inbreeding overseas (done on purpose), there are no wild caught specimens and there are simply more of them in captivity overseas. All that coupled with the luck of getting the 1st one.

In years to come, as our hobby matures, we will have a lot more of these type of animals. Just look at Cockatiels and Princess parrots and what they have come up with in the last 30 years. And now all these variegated species have been taken out of the licencing system cause its pretty hard to take a harlequin budgie from the wild. And a white cockatiel was a lot more expensive in 1979 than it is today!!

JMH (unqualified) O

Leucistic maculosus now that would be something to see.
Is it alive or dead?
Overseas maybe ahead of us in the variations etc but which everway
you look at it, it's still our aussie species. Americans and Europeans
can't go for a wonder in the scrub and come across these amazing
animals in their natural environment. Let them develop and do the
hard yards in the genetics and one day pass on their knowledge.
You can always dream of having one of these down the track :)

OOhhh, firstly leucustic maccies, hell yeah I'd love to see that. As for the albino bhp's I have to agree with a few here that it pi**es me off that overseas they have more variants of our snakes. How could it not? But I kinda agree with Peterjohnson as well.

congo_python said:

Congo

Hi Congo,
I tend to disagree with you in part, we have more albino australian species here than they do in the US and Europe.
We have Olives, Darwins, and T+ childreni, maybe other things that people are keeping real quiet about, who knows.

Whilst they do have albino BHP's, I can't think of any other Australian albino's that they have.
I agree though, it is great to see(Whoever is breeding them), gives me a sense of excitement to think, 'what's coming next?'.

Neil

what a fantastic contrast!! original is best but id kill for one of em
would love to see pics of aussie found albinos.....ive looked at blondie a hundred times and cant get enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back