Pig Hunting Pics only open if your into pigging.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a mate send this pic to me recently so I thought i'd share:shock:

Attachments

• Karls pig.jpg
    Karls pig.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 407
nice pig , i never hunt with dogs because im a bow hunter but the luggers are the ones that bring them back or attack them and the bailers are the ones that keep em in the same spot.

Luggers that bring them back?been hunting for a long time never seen that happen.

A mates property (about 15 mins from my doorstep :) nice and convenient) has a few pigs floating around on it though I've never got onto them. I usually chase foxes or deer. His nephew took 60ish pigs in one month recently.

nice pig , i never hunt with dogs because im a bow hunter but the luggers are the ones that bring them back or attack them and the bailers are the ones that keep em in the same spot.

A lugger is the dog that holds the pigs and keeps it down not killing the pig but holding until the hunter catches up with the pack and then sticks the pig.

A bailer does exactly what it's name mean chase it down and bails the pig up and keeps it in a area, mainly barking and running rings around the pig hence keeping it bailed up.

I hunt both bow and gun and have mates that go pig dogging on a regular basis I'll get some photos up later tonight.

I'd like to go for something a bit bigger than foxes with my rifle here in Victoria :) .....I heard Mildura had some good sized pigs ripping the place up. Sporting or not, they are a feral animal (like the fox, like the rabbit), they are open game and in my mind I consider myself simply doing a small part for conservation (along with a bit of a smirk :lol:). Love the photos ;)

Some dogs are born to kill some arent.. i know a bully/stag 8 week old pup that got homed and killed a chicken.. my pup is a dane mastiff and we were gonna pig him but he was too kind and caring to even care. dogs arent forced into being a hunter.. they are born with the urge and we feed that urge and help the environment at the same time :)

Hope you know that it is still illegal to use dogs to get pigs, your only allowed finders not holders. If i posted a photo of snake hitting live rat id get slaughtered but you post a picture of a vicious dog attacking a pig. Other than that the photo of your dad is great only way to hunt them in my book at least you give your game a sporting chance unlike guns that you can shoot from 100 yards or dogs that catch pig for you at least with bow you do the hard yards and sneak to within stones throw shows your dad is truly a hunter and not just a good shot

things like this do my head in.
now watch me get slaughtered.
i take it you eat meat yes? well how is that lamb you roasted the other day given a sporting chance in the slaughtered room?
you say shooting with a rifle and/or shotgun isnt giving a sporting chance.
now lets have a look at somethings.
most of the game people hunt have alot of things on there side, speed for one. the knowledge of the enviroment for two, three most of their senses are alot better than ours.
i doubt if i posted a picture of that nice big snapper i caught you grill me. whats the difference, in reality hunting/shooting is a lot more humaine than fishing. majority of fisherman catch a fish chuck it in a bucket, it cant breath it dies.. you hunt, fire the shot most times it will be over and done with in one shot, if not two and it takes all of a few seconds.
okay, i do agree pigging with dogs isnt my thing. i dont see such a big thrill in it. but! some people do, they love getting in amongst it. you have to remember, alot of the guys that pig with dogs get in there with the pig too, in which case they're putting themselves in halms way also.
this goes to everyone out there, especially those against deer because they're so beautiful and pretty. they're also the best tasting.
how can you say its not a sport, its alot harder than that footy game you took part in on saturday morning. you have to stalk something with sense 20 times better than yours. just to get your self in the position to take a shot is harder than most other things you'll ever do.
sorry for the rant and its not suppost to be offensive but i bottle this up all the time and it has to come up every now and again.

I am waiting for Gordo's post, he is going to wet his pants.

couldnt have said it better my self 'mitch_s'!
hunting is a very serious sport in aus and alot of people take it serious, yeah you get the id doche that will be cruel to the animals by not killing them humainly, but 99.99% of hunters will do it instantly.

and a 'holding' dog, better know as a lugger, usually 2-4 dogs at once will hold the pig untill someone gets there to kill the pig.

a bailing dog, bails the pig up into a tree, fence, bank, etc and will bark and yapand carry on to hold the pig there untill somone get there to shoot the pig, or tie it up to be relased somewhere else.

I Hear Your Call!

superman-the-movie-1-1152x864.jpg

A bit over the top? I don't think so, i do super things, i can be pretty heroic and look great in tights. But who am i to preach? You decide if it is a good likeness!

Good work Jako, nothing quite like getting into the wild and doing man stuff with your old man, it's one of the more manly things you can do i think. Especially if you eat what you kill. I think it makes it taste sweeter, because it has that extra ingredient that you can't buy in the shops... Man love.

Not sure about the dogs though. Maybe we should ask Slim6y, i heard he has a dog. Apparently called Piri, but that's only his short name. My dog likes to bite pigs and buffalo and generally get himself (and me) into trouble but he's not a bailer or a lugger, he's more of a nuisance really.

SUPER GORDO!!! No wonder it took you so long to reply :p good work on the art bro haha

well i havent had the chance to use a gun hunting but ive been shooting th 12g side by side and 6.5 and the thing i hate most has allready been mentioned but its meat eaters complaining that piggin is cruel but enough of my ranting, i just made a group for us piggers for any one no invites.

Thought i'd chuck a couple photos in. i go pigging every chance i get so ill keep my opinion to my self but for the hunters i hope you enjoy ???

003.JPG295.JPG149.jpg314.JPG084.jpg

I've shot a few hundred on Cobourg Peninsula. Drop 5, go back 3 days later, their mates are eating their dead family members, drop them and so on until the area is cleared. No dogs allowed. It's a NP. Just me and me pegs (and the Bruno). There's 2 feral pigs in Oz for every man, woman and sprog so I say get out there and kill the lot!

You wouldnt recognise the swamps after they're cleared of pigs. They are far more destructive than toads and they dont mind eating any reptiles, birds or mammals they encounter.

Nice one Gordo! hahaha

Last edited:
Not a hunter but i love seeing pics of what everyone has succesfully hunted!!!
Hope to get into it one day when i meet someone thats willing to teach or let me hunt on their property.....
If its feral i don't care how its killed just get it out of my bush!!!!!!!
To all you "no not the poor piggy, cat, rabbit or what ever else is out there, Do you know reptiles are high on feral animals diet's?
National parks need to start implementing more hunting programs with licenced shooters who would do it for FREE!!!!
Closet i've come to hunting was chasing a rabbit around a paddock for 15 minutes, i caught the bugger aswell:D

Gordo, I don't believe for one moment that you look good in tights!
Is that a pearl necklace you have on there?

pig.jpg

Here's one, that isn't me, although the resemblance is uncanny.
(not sure if I meant the pig or the hunter)

Last edited:
things like this do my head in.
now watch me get slaughtered.
i take it you eat meat yes? well how is that lamb you roasted the other day given a sporting chance in the slaughtered room?
you say shooting with a rifle and/or shotgun isnt giving a sporting chance.
now lets have a look at somethings.
most of the game people hunt have alot of things on there side, speed for one. the knowledge of the enviroment for two, three most of their senses are alot better than ours.
i doubt if i posted a picture of that nice big snapper i caught you grill me. whats the difference, in reality hunting/shooting is a lot more humaine than fishing. majority of fisherman catch a fish chuck it in a bucket, it cant breath it dies.. you hunt, fire the shot most times it will be over and done with in one shot, if not two and it takes all of a few seconds.
okay, i do agree pigging with dogs isnt my thing. i dont see such a big thrill in it. but! some people do, they love getting in amongst it. you have to remember, alot of the guys that pig with dogs get in there with the pig too, in which case they're putting themselves in halms way also.
this goes to everyone out there, especially those against deer because they're so beautiful and pretty. they're also the best tasting.
how can you say its not a sport, its alot harder than that footy game you took part in on saturday morning. you have to stalk something with sense 20 times better than yours. just to get your self in the position to take a shot is harder than most other things you'll ever do.
sorry for the rant and its not suppost to be offensive but i bottle this up all the time and it has to come up every now and again.

I dont think you got me right. I personally hunt with bow i call it hunting because i test my skills against the prey and only when im within 15 meters do i release my arrows. I also shoot, i have shot pigs from 10 meters out to 400 meters but this is only shooting not hunting. There is no difference to target shooting paper at 100 meters or shooting pig at 100 meters. It doesnt take a lot of skill and i could teach any fool how to do it. Hunting on the other hand can not be taught and can only be learnt over many trips and many years. I also, like you, beleive these animals are the worst plague on our natural environment and as such every stinkin one should be destroyed but lets be honest it could not and will not ever happen. I dont actually eat lamb and no they dont get sporting chance however the few decent billies ive hunted did.Regarding the snapper if you showed me a picture of nice dinner plate sized snapper then no i wouldnt grill you but if you showed me photo of you holding 5 or 6 monsters with big lumpy heads then i would grill you. Take only what you need and can eat. I personally dont eat snapper (prefer flathead) and as such i take a photo and release regardless of size. I wasnt having a go at him pigging with dogs merely pointing out that i can not see difference in feeding live rat to snake and posting it or surrounding pig with dogs all biting it etc then posting that. Cruelty is cruelty no matter what the animal be it feral or friend and having several dogs attacking and biting any other animal until it is stabbed or shot is cruel. I have seen pigs ripped to shreds by dogs and although all wounds were superfishal they bled like stuck pig(sorry about that one) and caused pig to be even more traumatised then pig was realeased as it was not big enough for hunter. I dont like the things but no need for this treatment as they dont know there feral. Hope this clears the air and i didnt take offence.

they have a bounty on foxes again in victoria, well they did a coupple of months ago, assume they still do.
I know up through the Puckapunyal area they often have them on the big reds as well, not sure why they dont lift the bans here in qld national parks, it works well in nsw... alot of deer through the Strzelecki ranges in gipps to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back