Pig Nose Turtle setups

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here keeps/breeds Pig Nose Turtles?

It's something I would like to get in the future but not for a while and figured it wouldn't hurt to start researching and getting as much info as I can early.

So if anyone had some tips and pics of their turtles and set ups, that would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
ROnny.

Thanks, will check that one out.

Yeah I read that they can grow big but also read the aussie ones grow a lot slower than the other one so I should have some time to prepare for it :)

One thing that I'm concerned about is the UV light getting wet.
I want to see how people have set theirs up to avoid getting wet and still being effective.

Just keep the uv above the water, they're turtles not dolphins

yeah i think your pretty much looking at turning a pool into a tank... i had family in the uk that had one and thats what they had to do it got so big =S

i do love their flippers though =]

Thanks, I was gonna put it in the water but now I wont.

With good water movement, and a turtle that is eager to eat, water can still get splashed.

Have you ever seen a turtle at the waters surface trying to eat something that isn't in the water?

Turtles will take food out of water but take it back in to eat, with piggys they dont bask, males will never leave water and females will only to lay eggs. Pretty sure uv is not needed.

i wouldnt worry. the uv light should be about 30cm from the surface so i doubt you will have any problems. also yea your going to want a fish tank about 10ftx3x3 roughly. pretty big. the water shouldnt be moving so fast that the turtle will have to swim against it all the time.
good luck. it certainly is a species i plan on keeping in the future once i have the right licence.

oh and i dont think the growth rate is much different between aus and new guinea and i have seen a 2yo that was pretty big in the for sale section not to long ago so check it out

i thought the uv was still needed even though they dont bask.
best way is to find a breeder and ask. or someone who has kept them

Thanks Bucky,
The reason, I was concerned about the UV light getting wet is because for lizards, they have to be able to get within 30cm of the light for it to be effective and I wasn't sure if that'd be the same for the turtle.
I had a 10x3x2 for my fish when I was in Perth. Would have looked better with a Pig nose in it lol.
I was planning to have the filtration set up so that the outlet was disrupting the surface, rather than jetting out and making too much flow.

I saw the one in the classifieds, but I'm not ready for one yet and I'm pretty sure that one sold pretty quick.

Turtles will take food out of water but take it back in to eat, with piggys they dont bask, males will never leave water and females will only to lay eggs. Pretty sure uv is not needed.

It's when they take it back into the water, they splash.

you wouldnt feed a pig nose turtle on land, they mainly eat aquatic plants. With feeding on land i was talking bout a pit set up with lizard and turtles that will come up and bask, the turtles will come out of the water and take what they want back in.

Last edited:
Do you have any experience with pig noses? or any turtles?

Turtles do have the ability to stick their head out of the water and take food, they can even propel their body out of the water a bit, they don't have to get out of the water.

They don't have to leave the water to splash.

Even when a turtle is at the surface breathing, if anything spooks them or they just duck down quickly, it can still cause a splash.
When we go to the ponds to hand feed the turtles we always get splashed by the ones that are keen to eat.

This is why I wanted to see peoples set ups and see what precautions they have taken if any.
Having an exposed UV tube near water just doesn't sound like a good idea to me, so I want to know how others do it.

Yes i keep and work with turtles, i dont think you see what i was trying to say turtles eat in water, they can take food from land back to water to eat( not pig noses) and of course they can put their heads out of water they breath air.

Then how come you're not seeing what I'm saying?
I know they eat in the water. I'm not talking about them coming out and taking food into the water cos I know they don't do that.

Are you saying that animals don't get excited over food if they're fed well on a regular basis?

Let's say, they're at the surface breathing, and something startles them, when they go back down in a hurry, it normally makes some kind of splash, you can hear it sometimes.

Also, if I wanted to put fish in there with the turtle, I definitely wouldn't be able to have it near the water uncovered.
Is there anything I could do about that?

just have it at least 15 to 20cm above the water, its not a huge splash. it will be fine.

But that's what raises my other question, will the UV still be effective at that distance?

and I'm assuming it will be fine for the turtle even underwater?

yeah it will be fine, i think most use the uv mainly for plants that they have growing in with them.

Ah k, thanks for that.

I'm seeing a lot of mixed responses on the www cos some are saying they do need it, some say they don't.
If the turtle doesn't need the UV, that'll make things a lot easier :)

There is only one person to have bred them successfully so far. He is a member on this site, slickturtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back