Pig Nose Turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retic

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I have wanted one of these guys for a few years now after seeing an adult for sale, I got the chance just recently and jumped at it. I'm not a big turtle lover really but these are like sea turtles, totally aquatic and full of character. Also easy to feed as they are mostly vegetarian.
The photo's are cr** as they are never still :)
DSC_0327_resize.jpg

DSC_0336_resize.jpg

DSC_0330_resize.jpg

The first photo should give you some idea of it's size, that is a small female hand ;)

that turtle is tops

first time i seen ine was at the reptile park in NSW they get massive

awsome i have a short neck murry and a saw shell i would love to get a pig nose one day may i ask how much it cost u

they get massive guy got to have a massive tank at full size

Awesome! Great pics, and great species!

yommy full aquatic set up mate will prolly not ever come out of the water unless at breeding time

cheers - if i was to convert over to the shell instead of the scales these would be top of the list

These don't really have a shell, they feel more like a leather back turtle. As for a setup... well these guys grow to nearly 25kg so i would think they would need an enclosure around the 4000lt mark as an adullt. Then they need to be kept at 26 degrees during the cold months and a little more in the warmer months. Very expensive pet to keep.

Thanks guys.
Just a normal turtle set up but they need good strong filtration and plenty of plants to eat.
Waruikazi, I THINK the parents came from the Daly River.
They obviously take more time and resources as they grow but they are very slow growing and will live in a 4 foot tank for quite a few years. It gives me time to set something up for him when bigger :)

Great turtle, but their adult requirements are more than I'm up for!!! :) Check out the 4000 litre pig nose turtle tank and turtles in Peter Child's collection in Canberra. [no links please]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is a great set up and similar to what I would be looking at I think.

Easy to feed alright. They love large chunks of fruit, but you should see how crazy they go if you offer them a mouse.
They have small claws on their front flippers that they will use to tear chunks off while holding the mouse in their mouth.

Nope, used to work with them. If you have the set-up, they are awesome.
Like others have said, I'm not a turtle fan, but I could just sit and watch them glide for hours.

Very nice Boa, I'm a little bit envious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back