Pink Belly?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day,

I was moving my male Coastal out of the female enclosure today and noticed that he has a rather pink belly. It have not noticed this before.

Just wondering how it is possible to tell if it is burns or not? He has been basking under the light and at times rests his head on the light cage. However i have felt the light cage and it was warm not hot at all, and doubt it could burn.

Does anyone had any thoughts, could it be a breeding response?

Cheers Alex

I have read that in times of hunger and sexual arousal that this is quite common in pythons. This may not be the cause of your carpets pink belly but worth a mention.................................
Kyro..

Where abouts on the belly? The hunger thing usually is strongest pink under the mouth and throat and can go down quite far but I haven't seen any just have a pink belly only. That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

ether,they get pink bellies when they lay on something warm.Blood is diverted to the belly to warm up quicker.Same as when feeding they get pink throats and necks cause they are using the muscles there slide the food down, even the smell of food can make the blood rush there in anticipation.

Well I have seen them go pink when eating and new about that......Now I have just learnt that they can go pink when hungry.
Thanks Guys I love learning new things.. :D

I've found that when my diamond gets a pink underside she is going to shed.

It as well as milky eyes usually occur at the same time before she sheds.

Does anyone else get that?

Cheers

Yup, Diamonds and intergrades seem to do that especially ironside.

J.

I would be very surprised if this is not the correct explanation for what you have observed.

A pink belly prior to a shed has been observed by me on most of our morelias, childreni and olives.

Much of the time they tend to hang out belly down so you do not notice it ;-)

ironside said:
I've found that when my diamond gets a pink underside she is going to shed.

It as well as milky eyes usually occur at the same time before she sheds.

Does anyone else get that?

Cheers

Not just when eating lurk but also in anticipation of food which I interprate as being hungry :wink: glad to teach you a new thing..............

Kyro

My childrens python gets a pink belly when when she's going to shed, before she goes milky.

If it looks like it is blood I would be a little worried, but if it goes away, it should be fine.

i heard once off a pet store owner (when i was buying my python), that they can get kind of purple-pink along their sides when they are too cold... but having you guys all say that it's pre-feeding/shedding behaviour, i think i'm going to discard that info from my head for what you all said.

thanks

My old diamond was a pink belly girl too!! mostly pre shed, but sometimes when she ate too..
She died this year after a brave battle with renal failure.. (RIP BigShow)

Wow I've never noticed a pink belly near shedding...ya learn something new every day hey :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back