Pit Bull Pup sales in Victoria.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m.punja

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I know they're illegal, but I know people still breed them. We are sort of in the market for a pup at the moment and are doing stakes of research (searching for a specific bloodline). We have a legal sized pen made, plenty of room, I have a male german shephard which is desexed so there wont be any problems there. If anyone can put me onto breeders or even keepers with more knowledge about the different blood lines around we would love to make contact and meet other pitty lovers. Please email me on [email protected] Thanks for you time and please feel free to post pics of your pitty or share information or stories.

Cheers

Punja

still baffles me why people want breeds like pitbulls. They prove themselves time and time again to be viscious and un-trustworthy. It's a load of crap the arguement 'it's not the dog, it's how its raised'

still baffles me why people want breeds like pitbulls. They prove themselves time and time again to be viscious and un-trustworthy. It's a load of crap the arguement 'it's not the dog, it's how its raised'

he is not asking for a debate, why stir the pot?

Thanks for the link Whitey. Will look it up. Great dogs. Funny, I've seen a lot in my area owned by lots of different people, very affectionate dogs towards their owners. They do have some problems but if bought up right and you don't abuse them then they make fantastic pets.

American pit bull terriers are one of 5 prescribed breeds in Australia. I don't know what the laws are in Victoria but in South Australia they are not necesarily illegal. To own a prescribed breed you need to abide by certain laws because although not every dog of this breed WILL attack, the risk higher because these dogs were bred as fighters and because of their strength they are more likely to cause serious injury. They aren't bad dogs so much, but if you choose to own one you need to be fully responsible. One thing that gets said a lot by owners is 'well my dog is fine, he's a nice dog and never hurt anybody'. Never say never. No matter how comfortable YOU are with your dog, every animal can attack.

When owning a prescribed breed the laws include using a muzzle whenever you are in a public place, always having the dog on a lead (even when in an area where dogs are permitted off lead), and having the dog desexed.

Good luck in your search. XxXx

American pit bull terriers are one of 5 prescribed breeds in Australia. I don't know what the laws are in Victoria but in South Australia they are not necesarily illegal. To own a prescribed breed you need to abide by certain laws because although not every dog of this breed WILL attack, the risk higher because these dogs were bred as fighters and because of their strength they are more likely to cause serious injury. They aren't bad dogs so much, but if you choose to own one you need to be fully responsible. One thing that gets said a lot by owners is 'well my dog is fine, he's a nice dog and never hurt anybody'. Never say never. No matter how comfortable YOU are with your dog, every animal can attack.

When owning a prescribed breed the laws include using a muzzle whenever you are in a public place, always having the dog on a lead (even when in an area where dogs are permitted off lead), and having the dog desexed.

Good luck in your search. XxXx

Extremely well said Amy I couldnt have said it better myself !!
Regards

Elizabeth

Just like saying its not the parents fault they just have a bad kid. All dogs have the potential to be dangerous, it is up to the owner to ensure they have a well behaved and mannered dog, the owners are in charge, and providing you know how to care for a dog (not just physically, but mentally) there should not be an issue. Any dog that does not have the right care, and is dominant over their owner will be a dangerous dog, regardless of breed.

My Amstaff x Pitty for instance is a lovely little girl, but if i am not careful and let her get over excited, she has the potential to cause some serious damage, so I don't let it happen, so it won't. This is no different, to someone not paying attention to their child, and then having it run out in to the street, or start a fight.

M.Punja, I am also from Adelaide and believe you can not easily buy "PIT" brand bull terriers, HOWEVER, I do know that the American Staffy is also a "PIT" brand staffy but is considered an upmarket or show type Pit Bull, there are many different breads but if you continue to look for dogs try looking for an American Staffy ( Red Nose ) as you will find this is a polite or subtle way of advertising Pit Bull Terriers. I own a brindle girl who is just on 12 months old, she is a beautiful dog and gets along famously with our 18month old lab, we do although still watch her around smaller children as she can get a little carried away when playing with their toys but I dont believe she would intentionaly bite. I would also advise checking the owners of the dogs being sold as some people dont give a **** about what temp dog they bread they are just out for a quick buck, Happy hunting cheers.:)

couple quick pics from my phone of my girl :)

Ta Ash, only have 2 females left though and they are crosses, just to be clear on that. Mother is a pure-bred pit and by far the best dog I've ever owned - most well behaved and has the most stable temperament by far.

I've had her for 4 years and in all that time she has never even hinted at trying to bite or being aggressive. She only barks when she sees or hears strangers on our property, nothing more. She truly is a remarkable girl and I know I'd never own another breed again.

Thanks for the link Whitey. Will look it up. Great dogs. Funny, I've seen a lot in my area owned by lots of different people, very affectionate dogs towards their owners. They do have some problems but if bought up right and you don't abuse them then they make fantastic pets.

There's a woman down here might not agree with you at the moment mark, (well she's actually in a melb hospital at the moment, may or may not lose the arm yet)
Fine for years apparently then just snapped. I would be more worried about my shepherd though.

I dont think people have to worry. Slightest indication of aggresion will end the dogs life either through needle or police bullets.
And if it lives a cuddly wuddly "protector" of the family lifestyle, chances are that it ends the dogs life in the same way.
To much hype around these dogs to give them a second chance unfortunately. To the general public, they are the snakes that pant, there fore they must "disposed of".
I feel that is long as they cant escape, and that they wear muzzels in public they will be fine.

We have a local who comes into my work with her pit ball and she (the pit ball) is really play full and loves attention, it’s all about who and how you bring them up.
They only got the bad name from over in the USA from dog fighting and feral owners...

Good luck with the search mate, I know I will have one, one day.

Last edited:
American pit bull terriers are one of 5 prescribed breeds in Australia. I don't know what the laws are in Victoria but in South Australia they are not necesarily illegal.

Each council & shire has there own by laws on certain breeds of dogs, some are banned totally & some can be kepted on conditions.

I do know that the American Staffy is also a "PIT" brand staffy but is considered an upmarket or show type Pit Bull

A staffy is totally different dog to a pitty. I don't think staffys are considered to be upmarket from pittys.
staffys are recognised by the ANKC & pittys are'nt.

They only got the bad name from over in the USA from dog fighting and feral owners...

Dog fighting & feral owners are in every country including AUS not just USA.

They are good for dog fighting or pig hunting, im not a fan of dog fighting but i support pig hunting with dogs even though its illegal in Qld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back