Pit Bull Pup sales in Victoria.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
still baffles me why people want breeds like pitbulls. They prove themselves time and time again to be viscious and un-trustworthy. It's a load of crap the arguement 'it's not the dog, it's how its raised'

It still baffles me why people are allowed to keep venomous snakes and huge pythons......... They prove themselves time and time again to be unpredictable and dangerous......

Wasn't someone just bitten on the face by a brown? There have been a couple of deaths this year in the USA of children being asphyxiated by big pythons.........

ALL ANIMALS HAVE POTENTIAL TO BE DANGEROUS. If you choose to keep any of these animals then you need to take the required precaution to avoid such things happening. Why blame it on the animal?

We have a pit bull x staffy. He is 7 years old now and he is the puppy of my sisters dogs. He can not be trusted with our animals (chickens, birds, reptiles etc) as he does like to play a little too rough. But having said that we also have an elderly dog who he adores and also a little chihuahua!!!! All 3 dogs play amongst themselves very contently.

Do we leave ANY of our dogs unattended with children around? NO

Do we feed ANY of our dogs while people are over? NO

Do we keep ALL of our dogs on a leash? YES

Do we have a well fenced and gated yard? YES

That is being responsible, to avoid ANYTHING happening with ANY of our dogs.

There's a woman down here might not agree with you at the moment mark, (well she's actually in a melb hospital at the moment, may or may not lose the arm yet)
Fine for years apparently then just snapped. I would be more worried about my shepherd though.

As for these dogs being aggressive...... if there were accurate stats that show dog attacks by breed you will find it is mainly small dogs as the offenders. How many of you have been bitten or snapped at by a big dog? I myslef have always been a dog fan, have owned a few, and have friends and family with dogs. I can honestly say i have NEVER been snapped at by a large breed. How many of you know of small dogs who are snappy? Growl at u, bite? Oh but thats ok cos they are cute when they have their bad little tempers.

It is just a shame that when these larger breeds on occasion do turn, the damage they cause is extreme compared to ALL those little dogs with attitude that bite people everyday!

Seeing as it's turning into a debate, the only dog that has ever bitten me was a chihuahua, so well said Jay84.

Seeing as it's turning into a debate, the only dog that has ever bitten me was a chihuahua, so well said Jay84.

:lol: did you boot it and feed it to something?

If the thread starts as i know its illegal but, can i still get something illegal? Its obviously going to turn into a debate before it gets removed. Especially considering some granny got her arm ripped off by one recently.

Its a bit like saying i know smoking copious amounts of ganja isnt legal but where a can i get some? (hypothetical question) where the hell is Jah? :lol:

Hahaha cris - I only wish I'd had my shepherd then, she would have loved a tiny treat!

I agree with Rahni and Jay. The only dogs that have been agressive towards me and been about to bite or have bitten, have been small, toy, or miniature breeds... Never large breeds, and rarely medium breeds.
Its all about taking appropriate precautions to make sure your dog can't get out and attack the general public etc. (which are strangers, who, are nearly always the ones the dogs have been trained to warn off their property and prevent from entering their property - possibly as a preventative measure taken by owners for burglars, unwanted visitors etc)

It really peeves me off the whole "its the breed, not the owner or how it's raised" debate/argument... We use to breed Rottweilers for years! And they, by far have been the best dogs we've ever owned! There are very few dogs I'd own after them (and I'd only ever own large breeds after seeing the mass amounts of aggressive little dogs)... And never had a single problem with aggression or anything... Yet they were the ones always in the News, and getting bad wraps and being taken from the Kennel Club Registry and made illegal etc.

Kinda glad the heat has lifted a bit off them recently (sucks that its gone onto Pitbulls instead though), but still severely annoyed at how you never ever see aggressive little ****z-something dogs etc in the news being banned or put down "coz they're just too cute and fluffy!" :rolleyes: Most little dogs I've come across have many many and severe behavioural problems, they're always spoilt and temperamental, intolerant and aggressive like little brat children with no discipline who get toys when they've been bad...(Like one of my youngest cousins :evil: )
I wish all the aggressive little dogs that bite at your ankles and stuff would be taken into account when they do their banning/illegalisation and killing of breeds. Or atleast show some kind of statistic on it, so people can see that the big guys arent the bad guys, its not their fault they're bigger...and a bigger target.... I bet if you looked deeper into each of the cases broadcasted on the news, you will find that it wasnt completely the dogs fault, but infact much to do with human error/stupidity.

Sure there are the odd exception cases, but its no different to owning any snake! People still get bitten, no one hears about python bites unless they've killed and eaten or constricted to death a person, yet elapids get plastered all over the news every second week if/when they bite a person (even if it doesnt kill anyone)! And they definately dont eat people whole!
I know, with my snakes, the little ones are a lot more nervous and defensive and bite a hell of a lot more than the bigger ones... I have been bitten more times than I can count by pythons, yet nothing in the news about it...

I dont think its right that if you own a "dangerous breed" of dog, that every single one sold/owned should be desexed... That is how extinction of the breed happens people! (Which is probably ultimately what the government wants, but yeh...)

I wish you luck in your search Mark! It will only get harder and harder to source them! (Which I'm dreading)

Sorry for getting a little off-track and digressing a bit lol. :oops:

BadNewsSham - the little crosses are called *****s for a reason lol

Actually, I remember reading a study the other day that showed that Maltese dogs were responsible for the most attacks (I believe it was in NSW but I could be wrong). I am of the belief that some people think that just because it is small it doesn't need to be trained because it can be picked up and moved etc. Some people are just scared of big dogs, the way some people are just scared of snakes. It takes education about dogs and snakes and unfortunately the only education most people are receiving is from the tv (these days anyway) where the only time you usually hear about a dog is when it has attacked someone - trial by media. And I know that some breeds are bred to be more vicious than others but those are generally the breeds that attract silly people, which just ends badly (how often have you heard of a "tough guy" with a maltese?). When good people buy good dogs and treat them well and train them, there is USUALLY no problem.

I
It really peeves me off the whole "its the breed, not the owner or how it's raised" debate/argument... We use to breed Rottweilers for years! And they, by far have been the best dogs we've ever owned!

Yes, rottis are awesome dogs. That said they can get big enough to be harmful to an adult human (well a weak one anyway), but they would usually need to earn the harm :)

If rotties ever get banned i will get an rotti X african boerboel :lol:

still baffles me why people want breeds like pitbulls. They prove themselves time and time again to be viscious and un-trustworthy. It's a load of crap the arguement 'it's not the dog, it's how its raised'

Aggression to humans is a completely separate trait from
aggression towards other dogs

Unless very poorly bred or trained to attack humans through abusive methods,
pit Bulls are by nature very good with people.

They are good for dog fighting or pig hunting, im not a fan of dog fighting but i support pig hunting with dogs even though its illegal in Qld.

a lot of hunters will tell you the pure pitbulls arent a good dog for hunting they seem to have a mind of their own and struggle to work in a team i think they have a higher intelligence than other breeds of dogs in that department most of your good pig dogs have a bit of pitty bred into them purely for jaw power. My brother breeds american pitbulls and american bulldogs so ive had a lot of dealings with lots of them all i can say is one dog , one owner, if raised correctly you wont get a more loyal, loving animal but watch them with other dogs if they fight and arent broken apart in quickly you will be up for expansive vet bills or possibly lose one of your or another persons animal. Just remember even dogs that live together and are friends for several years will turn on eachother at times and if a pitty is involved there will only be one outcome. As with kids i dot think you can trust any dog unsupervised, however a well trained and raised pitbull will play and gaurd family members as well as any german shepherd, or conventional gaurd dog

m.punja - you remind me of my Neighbour when he wanted one just like you do ,kept saying everything that you are saying...its the media, its how you raise a dog ect ect ,they are illegal but i don't care.

just up the road from me ,this guy owned a nice red nose pitty ,he got her as a pup...the dog was really friendly ,he had a specially made cage, he kept telling me that its how you raise it and treat it ect ect every time i went up there the dog was fine, he loved it , i was really interested as i was planning on getting one of the dogs from one of the litters when it was older and had pups.

after 2 years nothing had went wrong ,best dog he ever had. one day he was putting food in a bowl ,it started eating he gave it a pat on its side , it bit his hand and wouldn't let go for a short period of time. he needed stitches and his tendons in his hands aren't the same any more.

The dog was great, brought up around kids never showed any signs of aggression.

as an ex-owner of an APBT i have seen there 'good' side & there bad.. i had a beautiful boy i loved, his dad was australian wieght pulling champion 3 years in a row, had papers plus extra papers that traced his line 6 gens back to america, but it all went wrong one day when the local police tried to do a 'search' in a local park one day, i understand i look 'ruff' with a big dog & all, they had there reasons i guess..but all it took was one of the officers to get to close..but i will never know what set him off, he attacked & bit this officer (female) right on the left breast & then went after her, she had to climb a tree to get away... the dog was put down. a expensive court case followed.. large fines.. ive never owned another dog since & wont till i have a property i can keep one.. be careful ppl as i wouldnt wish this on anyone..

Do pitbulls bite more people than other dogs?
Probably not, but when it does bite, it removes a part of you, your face, your arm ect.
Other dogs bite just as much but their jaw strength and upper body strength and lack of reputation makes these bites less newsworthy.
I know there are lots of pibulls out there that dont bite and never will but the way the authorities see it, its like having a loaded gun in your house.
I dont think banning the breed is a good idea but i think they need to be kept differently to other, less "dangerous" dogs.

Do pitbulls bite more people than other dogs?
Probably not, but when it does bite, it removes a part of you, your face, your arm ect.
Other dogs bite just as much but their jaw strength and upper body strength and lack of reputation makes these bites less newsworthy.
I know there are lots of pibulls out there that dont bite and never will but the way the authorities see it, its like having a loaded gun in your house.
I dont think banning the breed is a good idea but i think they need to be kept differently to other, less "dangerous" dogs.
agreed Baz ....sorry to say ,but arguments saying small and toy breeds bite more often and readily is true( Iam an owner of two white fluff balls)
But the real point is, the damage done by a small dog, is like comparing a spotted bite to a full size adult scrub with the potential eb venom thrown in for good measure(meaning death is a great posiibility) ...you cant compare those small dogs with these PITS and other large breeds ..
Mark ,if pits are your thing ,then so be it ,but I hope you do your utmost to avoid public confrontation,that kids wont be allowed to go near the dog ,cause kids are as unpredictable as dogs can be too ,and that if you need to take it out in public ,make sure he/she wears a full face muzzle ...that way at least you are showing that you have taken all steps as a responsible dog owner ...I dont dislike the breed ,but in all honesty they scare me off ,due to the damage that can be done by them ..this certainly cant be argued by any pitbull lover ...

Probably a load of rubbish, but i was watching a docco on domestic dogs and the their jaw strength. According to the docco pitbulls placed 3rd in jaw power. 1st was the rotty and 2nd was the shephard. On a second docco mastiffs placed first to being able to bite you with over 500 pounds of force where the rotty had only mid 300's of bite force.
On a side note i think people get confused with the reasons why pitbulls were bred.
thought i might add that in.

I'm sick of all the Anti-Pitbull comments we hear nowadays, in America, breeds were tested on average temperament, and did you lot know that APBT's beat Labradors?

I own and have owned APBT for the last 20 years.

My current bitch is a s placid and friendly as any other Dog.

This debate has being going on for many years, and did anyone realise that most attacks from these terrier breeds are actually cross breds?

Moose.

M.Punja, I am also from Adelaide and believe you can not easily buy "PIT" brand bull terriers, HOWEVER, I do know that the American Staffy is also a "PIT" brand staffy but is considered an upmarket or show type Pit Bull, there are many different breads but if you continue to look for dogs try looking for an American Staffy ( Red Nose ) as you will find this is a polite or subtle way of advertising Pit Bull Terriers. I own a brindle girl who is just on 12 months old, she is a beautiful dog and gets along famously with our 18month old lab, we do although still watch her around smaller children as she can get a little carried away when playing with their toys but I dont believe she would intentionaly bite. I would also advise checking the owners of the dogs being sold as some people dont give a **** about what temp dog they bread they are just out for a quick buck, Happy hunting cheers.:)

No. There aren't different breeds of "pitbull". The only true 'pitbull' is the American Pitbull Terrier. American staffy's, are American staffy's. English staffy's, are English staffy's. They are not a type of American Pitbull they are all their own individual breed. The difference between an APBT to the other's is gameness, that what they where bred for. You'd be lucky to find a Amstaff or English staffy that has the stamina or drive of a true APBT.

Yes, you do get people who advertise them as Rednose American Staffy's, or A.P.B.T staffy's but they are still pitbulls. The reason they are advertised like this is to still be able to publicly advertise any pups with less risk of getting caught if the breed is on the BSL in your state.

And as for the woman who got attacked recently - I feel for her, I really do. No one should have to go throgh that. But i'd like to see photos of the dog that did the damage. I don't think this dog is actually what it is being made out to be. No photo's have been provided, no evidence that it is what people are saying it is, nothing. This is also another reason why I don't think APBT should be crossed with other breeds, if the dog is infact what it is being made out to be. APBT from proper lineage are stable, loyal and well behaved if you raise them and train them right. They are also protective of their owners as tatt2tony has stated, which can be a downfall.

The difference between an APBT attacking someone and a Labradore or Akita is their strength. The dog was made to FIGHT, it was made to never back down and keep going untill either he or his oponent are dead, or both. This is the only reason why their attacks on people are much more severe and life threatening, and again this falls down to the animal not being raised correctly, but in saying that any dog has the potential to turn around and cause injury. However on a whole, if you look up temprament statistics or public records from a 3 quater year you will find that the APBT isn't in the top 20 breeds of dog that have cause the most attacks throughout the state, heck staffy is only something like 17. Most breeds are toys or man-stoppers. Which I think says alot.

/End rant.

I am not so ANTI pitbull ..as I am ANTI owner ....all dogs have the potential to attack this is true ...SIZE does matter to the effects of damage /death that could come from an attack ...but the sad reality is ,and I am not saying this to any one individual ..BUT a % of those type of dog owners have a bad attitude which is passed onto the dog/s by the way they are encouraged to act and treated and so the stigma sticks like glue ...maybe instead of banning the dog ...we should be banning those type of people from owning them instead ...

[video=youtube;pBNC-qtmvfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBNC-qtmvfw[/video]

and this says alot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back