Pit Bull Pup sales in Victoria.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel soooo sorry for them..:( alot of people bad mouth them alot..:x
but at the end of the day, its the humans who are to blame 100%:(

I agree with rbb, pit bulls & other similar breeds can't be compared to most dogs. Fact is they were bred for hunting wild boar & cattle, then when dog fighting became popular they were bred for fighting. Now people want to keep them as cuddly pets which goes against every instinct that's been bred into them, kinda cruel really. I think if you don't have a real use for that kind of dog(pigging) then get a dog that will enjoy living in your yard without having to be penned up & muzzled every time you step out your front gate.

It's amazing watching a thread like this on a website dedicated to snakes and reptiles. As everyone knows, snakes are subject to a lot of media hype, and whenever there is a media article with the slightest inconsistency, everybody on APS is up in arms...yet they are unable to draw a parralel between the media stigma surrounding snakes, and the media stigma surrounding "dangerous dogs".

Come on guys, think outside the square!

Some statistics from 2007 if you are interested (from last years study notes), the risk of being attacked by rottweilers, german shepherds, red/blue heelers, and bull terriers is up to 5 times higher than that of other common breeds.

The aggression dogs have can be of many different factors, and the confidence of that dog will play a roll, i.e. too much confidence or too litlle confidence. Small dogs for example definitely have a habit of biting, either because they have no proper training, or because they have anxiety problems (which can happen alot because of the way people approach them). A lot of larger dogs have been selectively bred for their strength and confidence, so when they attack the damage can be severe. These dogs were made to fight, and although they aren't kept for these reasons anymore, some of those traits are still there.

You can't label every single dog in a specific breed as a horrible animal, but no matter how confident you are you always need to remember that the chance may be there, and when giving advice to someone else interested in that breed you need to make them aware of the laws and safety required, not just 'they are a great dog and all the ones I've owned haven't had an amount of aggression'. Every animal is different, and the laws are there for a reason so caution must always be exercised.
Take Rottys for example. Some people have already said they are a great dog and the ones they've owned were good animals. When I was a kid my mother and I were walking down the street and someones rotty had got out and nearly ripped the two of us to shreds. It was absolutely terrifying and to this day the one dog that literally has me shaking is rottweilers.
Having said that- I know they are not all bad and I won't say they are a bad breed of dog, there is just a higher chance within the breed of having a dog with traits of aggression. Last year I had a few opportunities to be around them, one rotty (about 8 months old) came into the clinic and I said I'd like to be the one to take him outside for a pee. Of course I took one look at him and my heart skipped a beat because he'd seen me to, but once he was on the leash he was a great dog (with a habit of getting caught in the door and tripping up stairs at every possible opportunity).

The confidence of other people will also play a roll, after my rottweiler incident I had a fear of larger dogs and not knowing how to react, I did have a few incidences with people who told me their dog 'has never hurt anyone'. Now that I'm older, have experience and know how to be confident- I've never been bitten since.

So if you do decide to own a Pit Bull remember that not everyone will have a lot of confidence around your dog and that could play a factor in some situations, so if someone is a bit iffy, don't try and calm them by saying your dog won't bite, otherwise you might end up looking a bit foolish.

It's amazing watching a thread like this on a website dedicated to snakes and reptiles. As everyone knows, snakes are subject to a lot of media hype, and whenever there is a media article with the slightest inconsistency, everybody on APS is up in arms...yet they are unable to draw a parralel between the media stigma surrounding snakes, and the media stigma surrounding "dangerous dogs".

agreed.

Instead of talking to people who really have no idea, or just have an opinion based on the crap from the media, go to a dog forum and talk to people who know and understand the breed.

Unless you have owned one you have no right to comment.
The media is awesome at scare tactics and looks like 90% fall for them.
Good luck on your hunt for one buudy i wish i could help but all the people i know have long let their lines die out rather than let them be destroyed by crossing with other breeds or other lines.

Agreed Jonno,

I tried to outline the parallels in my first post, but i think it may have gone unnoticed.

As an owner and breeder of what some people term a dangerous dog, Rotties, as well as an owner and breeder of reptiles I can tell you now there is a lot of misinformation about both groups of pets.

You have the media pandering to Dr. Hugh Worth (RSPCA) here in Vic. who would have all large breed dogs banned, so he loves to beat up the fact when big dogs attack, but never do you hear of the large number of people with serious injuries from small breeds such as maltese terriers.

As a rottie breeder we have been working for years to clear the name of the dog, a simple statement is required:
BAN THE DEED NOT THE BREED

As a venomous snake owner I can see that the actions of keepers who irresponsibly handle their animals and then get bitten will make it harder and harder for us to own the animals, but when we look at 90% of cases where people are bitten by their animals (dogs or reptiles) it is their own fault. You will never hear the full story behind the latest dog attack, that is not the way the media work, just like the guy who was bitten on the face by the brown, where did it mention he was drinking at the time...I know that he may not have been drunk, but alcohol impairs your judgement and reactions.

Look at the owners of the animals before blaming the animals when they bite.

I really dont know what everyone is arguing about, the breed has been found to be unsound in the general population, whether its because of dodgy owners or not the fact remains that all too often elderly people and children are in the news after being mauled. People want them because of the stigma attached to them, go figure

Ships,

Where have they been found to be unsound? Just because The Sunday Mail says so, doesn't mean it's the truth. Sean draws another parallel between snakes and "dangerous dog" ownership - irresponsible interaction with the animal is what leads to the vast majority of bites (or "attacks" in the case of dogs) yet this fact is not highlighted in the media with dogs. It is the same as any large, dangerous animal - if you do not have the correct knowledge of how to interact with it on a safe level, you will come off second best eventually.

I'd like to know where the medical reports are of a maltese terrior ripping off an arm firstly ;)

In an overall opinion it is true ,you cant blame the actual breed as there are no doubt plenty of big dog breeds that have been tar'd with the same brush ,from individual attacks on people ...
unfortunantly teh pitbulls and other breeds alike ,attract certain types of humans that when these to species are mixed create a very bad situation for anyone or anything in that situation ...as I said it would be better to ban those people then ban the actual breed ...
I hope that if you are a dog owner you have the brains ,regardless ,of what breed ,to fully take responsibility of your dogs and when out in public or if kids are present then all actions required to keep your dog and those that are near your dogs are used correctly ..that includes dogs that maybe be human happy but have bad attitudes towards other animals such as dogs etc ..

Very well said, also I have personally known of a ase where someone has had an official complaint made about their dogs (which was deserved as they got out and bit someone) and on the council complaint the dogs were put down as pit bulls. one was a shepherd x lab, and the other was a a ridgeback cross something. Pitty's often unfairly cop it for all attacks. I'm not saying they aren't possibly dangerous every animal is but if the time and effort is put into keeping/maintaining them they are a fantastic house mate

It still baffles me why people are allowed to keep venomous snakes and huge pythons......... They prove themselves time and time again to be unpredictable and dangerous......

Wasn't someone just bitten on the face by a brown? There have been a couple of deaths this year in the USA of children being asphyxiated by big pythons.........

ALL ANIMALS HAVE POTENTIAL TO BE DANGEROUS. If you choose to keep any of these animals then you need to take the required precaution to avoid such things happening. Why blame it on the animal?

We have a pit bull x staffy. He is 7 years old now and he is the puppy of my sisters dogs. He can not be trusted with our animals (chickens, birds, reptiles etc) as he does like to play a little too rough. But having said that we also have an elderly dog who he adores and also a little chihuahua!!!! All 3 dogs play amongst themselves very contently.

Do we leave ANY of our dogs unattended with children around? NO

Do we feed ANY of our dogs while people are over? NO

Do we keep ALL of our dogs on a leash? YES

Do we have a well fenced and gated yard? YES

That is being responsible, to avoid ANYTHING happening with ANY of our dogs.

As for these dogs being aggressive...... if there were accurate stats that show dog attacks by breed you will find it is mainly small dogs as the offenders. How many of you have been bitten or snapped at by a big dog? I myslef have always been a dog fan, have owned a few, and have friends and family with dogs. I can honestly say i have NEVER been snapped at by a large breed. How many of you know of small dogs who are snappy? Growl at u, bite? Oh but thats ok cos they are cute when they have their bad little tempers.

It is just a shame that when these larger breeds on occasion do turn, the damage they cause is extreme compared to ALL those little dogs with attitude that bite people everyday!

I'm sick of all the Anti-Pitbull comments we hear nowadays, in America, breeds were tested on average temperament, and did you lot know that APBT's beat Labradors?

Sorry, but what an absolute load of rubbish. Show me some genuine, unbiased, objective statistics with academic-standard methodology that supports that claim...

Unless you have owned one you have no right to comment.

Not a brilliant argument really... I don't have to let my child play with a loaded gun to realise it is a bad idea.

Instead I would prefer to look at the history of children who have been allowed to play with loaded guns, how even controlled situations are subject to accidents, oversights and human error, and what the risk/benefit analysis is. Am I willing to keep a dog that has a higher propensity to 'snap' unpredictably and cause immense damage to myself, my family or another person, just for the benefits of keeping a breed that has no additional qualities that can't be found in many other breeds of dog? No. And when my family is at risk of other people who choose to keep a highly unpredictable and potentially deadly dog, I believe that there should be strict regulations in place to minimise the risk posed by these irresponsible people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back