Pit Bull Pup sales in Victoria.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a pitty but i do have a pit type dog.

I didn't buy him cause i needed to compensate for something (that's what my snakes are for;)) I bought him cause i liked the look fo the breed (stocky muscular looking dogs), i love their personalities and it was a breed that suited my life style.

The exact same reasons as anyone buys any dog for a pet wether it be a pug, kelpie or blue heeler. No one judges people for buying any other breed of dog...

I didn't buy him cause i needed to compensate for something (that's what my snakes are for;))

i do that why i have toy breeds ;)
but seriously most people out there think snakes are the most dangerous thing around but we still keep them. id be interested to know the amount of pittys kept to the number of attacks...

It's not the number of attacks but the damage done during any given attack. Toy poodle attacks and it gets kicked into next week. APB attacks and someone loses a limb. And the dog loses its' life.

its not just APBT any large & powerful dog can do the damage. Its up to the owner to bring it up right, train it right and keep it contained or under control at all times.

[video=youtube;y-9UNEDbXAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-9UNEDbXAc&feature=fvw[/video]

[video=youtube;MZm037jPNgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZm037jPNgc&feature=related[/video]

I still dont understand the argument, are you saying that they have the same temprement as a silky terrier for example, by that ethos do all dogs have the same tempremant? Are they all lovely arm chair dogs then? even though they have been purpose bred to kill and maim?

Does the same logic then transpose to reptiles? Does an eastern Brown have the same temprement as a small eyed snake, a tiger the same as a copperhead? ............and the list goes on.

I dont doubt that there are a lot of lovely natured pit bull terrier dogs out their personally I wouldn't tust them, but that goes for any dog. Comparing dangerous dog keeping to keeping vens doesn't stack up. Unfortunately in dog attacks its usually some other unfortunate victim that cops it, with snakes its generally the owner.

m.punja - you remind me of my Neighbour when he wanted one just like you do ,kept saying everything that you are saying...its the media, its how you raise a dog ect ect ,they are illegal but i don't care.

just up the road from me ,this guy owned a nice red nose pitty ,he got her as a pup...the dog was really friendly ,he had a specially made cage, he kept telling me that its how you raise it and treat it ect ect every time i went up there the dog was fine, he loved it , i was really interested as i was planning on getting one of the dogs from one of the litters when it was older and had pups.

after 2 years nothing had went wrong ,best dog he ever had. one day he was putting food in a bowl ,it started eating he gave it a pat on its side , it bit his hand and wouldn't let go for a short period of time. he needed stitches and his tendons in his hands aren't the same any more.

The dog was great, brought up around kids never showed any signs of aggression.

Didn't he know how dogs can be with food? He doesn't keep elapids does he? Hate too see what would happen if he tried hand feeding a hungry tiger.

PS thanks to everone who read my opening post and repied. Too all others, you all have good points for both sides (well to be honest I really didn't read much of the debat because I really didn't care and my opinion hasn't changed in the slightest) Too those who are interested, we have a very secured yard and allways will, we have a very big secure and safe pen as backup which the dog will be trained to go into, all the dogs sleep in these pens and are fed in these pens and suit council requirments, we have appropriate chains collars and harnesses, including the car harness for road trips and have lots of expeirence training dogs, plus we put all our pups through pup school just to keep us up to date and actually make us dedicate that time into the pups. We also have all the appropriate signage. My cosins have kept and breed pittys and staffys for years now but we are looking for a dfferent bloodline, but if we need help with anything they would jump at the oppertunity to help.

RBB go check the hospital records in Perth were a 2 year old girl had her face half ripped off by a maltese terrier, not making it to the media because it isnt a dangerous breed. You only hear of the large breed dogs due to the extent of injury. If you check your facts more than 7000 people are hospitalised every year because of dog attacks, how many do you hear about? I only know this due to research I had to do when preparing arguments for our rottie club when politicians have been going off half cocked not understanding what is happening when it comes to dog bites.

still baffles me why people want breeds like pitbulls. They prove themselves time and time again to be viscious and un-trustworthy. It's a load of crap the arguement 'it's not the dog, it's how its raised'
Still baffles me why people keep elapids, ohh thats right they keep them cause they like them and dont care for what others say!!
It still baffles me why people are allowed to keep venomous snakes and huge pythons......... They prove themselves time and time again to be unpredictable and dangerous......

Wasn't someone just bitten on the face by a brown? There have been a couple of deaths this year in the USA of children being asphyxiated by big pythons.........

ALL ANIMALS HAVE POTENTIAL TO BE DANGEROUS. If you choose to keep any of these animals then you need to take the required precaution to avoid such things happening. Why blame it on the animal?

We have a pit bull x staffy. He is 7 years old now and he is the puppy of my sisters dogs. He can not be trusted with our animals (chickens, birds, reptiles etc) as he does like to play a little too rough. But having said that we also have an elderly dog who he adores and also a little chihuahua!!!! All 3 dogs play amongst themselves very contently.

Do we leave ANY of our dogs unattended with children around? NO

Do we feed ANY of our dogs while people are over? NO

Do we keep ALL of our dogs on a leash? YES

Do we have a well fenced and gated yard? YES

That is being responsible, to avoid ANYTHING happening with ANY of our dogs.

As for these dogs being aggressive...... if there were accurate stats that show dog attacks by breed you will find it is mainly small dogs as the offenders. How many of you have been bitten or snapped at by a big dog? I myslef have always been a dog fan, have owned a few, and have friends and family with dogs. I can honestly say i have NEVER been snapped at by a large breed. How many of you know of small dogs who are snappy? Growl at u, bite? Oh but thats ok cos they are cute when they have their bad little tempers.

It is just a shame that when these larger breeds on occasion do turn, the damage they cause is extreme compared to ALL those little dogs with attitude that bite people everyday!

Well said Jay!!

I am not so ANTI pitbull ..as I am ANTI owner ....all dogs have the potential to attack this is true ...SIZE does matter to the effects of damage /death that could come from an attack ...but the sad reality is ,and I am not saying this to any one individual ..BUT a % of those type of dog owners have a bad attitude which is passed onto the dog/s by the way they are encouraged to act and treated and so the stigma sticks like glue ...maybe instead of banning the dog ...we should be banning those type of people from owning them instead ...

YouTube - Pitbull attacks!!!

and this says alot ...

Gee RBB you know how to pull the heart strings of a so called tough guy!! I can simpathise with Pit Bulls were just misundastood!!

RBB go check the hospital records in Perth were a 2 year old girl had her face half ripped off by a maltese terrier, not making it to the media because it isnt a dangerous breed. You only hear of the large breed dogs due to the extent of injury. If you check your facts more than 7000 people are hospitalised every year because of dog attacks, how many do you hear about? I only know this due to research I had to do when preparing arguments for our rottie club when politicians have been going off half cocked not understanding what is happening when it comes to dog bites.

Well said mate, I've never owned a pure bred pit bull only x breeds, although I've met dozens of pure bred animals and have yet to see a savage one ( all have been sooks actually ), every living creature has the capabiltity of being a monster, it seems the media only informs us of the minority monsters, the ones who sell papers or pull viewers!!
Give pit bulls a break every living creature deserves a chance be it great whites, grizzly bears, hippos or the humble pit bull, pull your heads in people as stated before ( I think by Jonno ) we all jump on the band wagon when a snake gets a bad rap why should a dog of any breed get a different treatment???

Animals are just like people.. sometimes they bite the hand that feeds.

Pitbulls are illegal to own,breed,sell,give away in victoria. If caught getting one you get a massive fine and dog destroyed straight away. Didn't anyone watch animal emergancy or rspca were a lady took her male pitbull pup into emergancy cause the father attacked it. They told the lady that they were illegal to breed,sell and give away and she lived in victoria. Ask your council and they will tell you all the information needed. If a pit bull or pitbull cross is caught wandering the streets they take them to the pound were they are put to sleep.
I have nothing againist the breed, I reckon its how the animal is brought up, But cause of the dangers eg councils banning them i would think it would be to risky getting one and owning one.

Pitbulls are not illegal to own, they are a restricted breed, not banned....RSPCA will also tell you its ok to kill a snake, I have heard that personally.

Pitbulls are not illegal to own, they are a restricted breed, not banned....RSPCA will also tell you its ok to kill a snake, I have heard that personally.

Pretty sure that would've been an INDIVIDUAL's opinion, not one of the RSPCA's.

I'm all for people owning pittys, but ONLY if they abide by the rules and regulations set by their council. The owners need to know that there will be consequences, and know that the animal just may be destroyed if it is allowed to wander.
Let's face it, the majority of humans aren't the greatest at doing the right thing and that's exactly why these rules are put into place, to protect the public AND the animals.

I don't own or even know a pitty currently, I used to know someone with one and she was gorgeous and so well behaved, even with strangers. But I am sick of people putting down the breed because of the repuation they have been given. I have known heaps of more dangerous dogs in other breeds and most of them are probably not even on the dangerous dog register. I agree that small yappy type dogs are sometimes more dangerous than people seem to admit. My sister was attacked by a fox terrier when walking down the street, wasn't bad but the thing still attacked her un-prevoked. This case the dog was let free out the front of the house with no supervision, it wouldn't have happened if it was inside the property fences or on a lead.

I think all owners should have a license to have dogs, as most of the time dogs aren't trained and out of control by fault of the owner.

I have a Sharpei and he isn't a perfect angel and the breed was also used for fighting (centuries ago), but I know how to read him, I've taken him to a fairly high level of obedience and I don't ever put him in a situation that I can't control. He's never hurt anyone, and due to his 'look' I understand people are wary of him. I would never leave him alone with anyone unless me or my husband was present. And I do this because it is my responsibility to look after him and the people that come into contact with him.

So if you want to get a pitty or Am. Staff then I think there's no problem as it sounds like you know your responsibilities towards the dog. I was thinking if you go down to KCC Park in Skye where majority of dog shows are you may find someone who stills has them, or knows someone who breeds them.

Good luck on your search.

I've never heard of this and I've been a Perth kid all my life ;) When?

And on the main topic- I think they're great dogs, I'd never own one just because I'd prefer a shepard :)
And as for the 2nd post on this thread, if you keep anything other than gecko's and lizards keep a tad more quiet

ive got 2 amstaffs...aweosme dogs...i dont care what people think about them...they arent for everyone...they are a breed that needs some control over them ....

Well they might not be illegal but if you read this website http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&ved=0CA0QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.melbourne-petminders.com.au%2FDangerous_or_restricted_dog_breeds.htm&rct=j&q=victoria+dog+laws&ei=XPLLS9znCpGTkAWBl-zNBA&usg=AFQjCNHobmzIf2A6AxzmqJdFV1TPlAOIxA
Specially read this
Can I purchase a Restricted Breed?
As of 2November 2005, the Domestic (Feral and Nuisance) Animals Act 1994 makes it an offence to acquire a restricted breed dog. Persons applying to register their dog must make a declaration as to whether their dog is a restricted breed (a sizeable court penalty applies for a false declaration). Authorised officers (eg from the local council) also have the power to declare that a dog is a restricted breed. Councils may renew registration of existing registered and declared restricted breed dogs. However, councils cannot accept the registration of new restricted breed dogs unless they were housed in Victoria prior to 2 November 2005, and owners had genuinely believed their dog was not of a restricted breed.

Most of what I was going to say is already here...But, I had a pitty and, while I would never leave my kids alone with ANY dog, I definately trusted the pitty over my brother in laws Foxy...It's ferral (despite them trying to train it) and bites constantly (it gave my partner a nasty bite on the ankle).
I have found that the bigger dogs can put up with alot more.
It's not a good pic, it was taken on a phone quite a few years ago, but she would put up with anything and not care.

Gotta love pitbulls when i lived in New zealand i had 2 Pure bred red nose pitbulls they were awesome dogs to keep as long as u give them love care and time they turn out to be the best dogs. Neglection and abuse is what turns a pitbull into a killer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back