Pixie Update

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Woah oh! NE's bombing the forum with photos again! :)

After the negativity that's been happening lately I thought I'd post this up to bring in something a little more positive (also because I shamelessly love sharing my photos). We get so caught up in how things are done, proving how much of a big shot we are, experience vs the inexperienced, politics, bozos with big snakes, or whatever - that we can sometimes forget about the things that bring us together as reptile enthusiasts. The love of reptiles of course!

It's just over a year when I first acquired Pixie, my (then) three month old south-west carpet python. She may not be the fanciest snake out there, nor am I a well known, well respected figure with all the right connections, but in my eyes she's a beautiful snake and it's been great and fun watching her grow. The first photo's of her when I first brought her home. She could easily fit into the palm of my hand, and I have small hands too. The next three photos were taken recently. Amazing how much they change. Can't wait for her to become an adult.

babysnake2aps.jpg

Pixie South-west Carpet Python by Kayla Higginson, on Flickr

Wrong. You are well respected and your pics are bloody awesome

Thanks Paul. That means a lot to me. Although unfortunately I know a few people who would say otherwise. It bothered me at first, but I don't really care anymore. Just shows where their priorities lie. There can be a lot of nastiness out there. But I guess that goes with all animal hobbies. I've probably been nasty at some point or another too. I admit I'm not the best at communicating with people, particularly face to face, but I try anyway.

Lovely animal. One of a group of 8 SW Carpets I got from Brian Bush nearly 20 years ago was just like that - no yellows or browns at all, and so grey it was a bit blue in places. Very nice!

They're awesome critters. I cannot express how much I love the greys, or black and whites, hills, or whatever people call them. Probably my favourite form of south west carpet python. Would love some more but finding them has been very difficult. Although I might be picking up some more soon. If I do get them you can be sure I'll post up photos!

Amazing pics as usual Kayla, I love how glossy she is, her black heat pits show up so well against the silvery grey

Do you just use a black photo box to take the pics in as they look so cool. I never would think of taking pics of my black img boa a black box I normally try to put er against lighter things to show up her colours , but it works really well , have you used the flash or not, sorry to be nosey, the pics just look so cool

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Amazing pics as usual Kayla, I love how glossy she is, her black heat pits show up so well against the silvery grey

Do you just use a black photo box to take the pics in as they look so cool. I never would think of taking pics of my black img boa a black box I normally try to put er against lighter things to show up her colours , but it works really well , have you used the flash or not, sorry to be nosey, the pics just look so cool

No worries, happy to tell you some of my techniques. Perhaps I should start a photography tips thread? No, I didn't use a black box. I used black cloth as the background. In regards to lighting I did not use a flash, I used a pair of cheap continuous lighting soft boxes. Although the picture of Pixie as a hatchling was taken with a flash.

She's a funny little snake. Definitely getting darker with age, as with most south-west carpet pythons, but I find she changes colours throughout the day. Usually darker during daylight hours, and gets a little lighter at night. I don't really notice the colour change with my other pythons though.

Thanks for that Kayla ,
Them tips are much appreciated that sounds a good idea idea to me
Keep them pics coming

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I would sincerely hope that one never needs to be a “well known, well respected figure with all the right connections” to post photos or experiences or anything else here, for forum readers here to appreciate a worthwhile post. Reputation should only gain you respect, not credit where credit is not due. Having said that, you do have my respect as both a photographer and as a forum contributor.

Kayla, you really have gotten so good at producing portraiture style photographs. As I have said before, apart from your technical mastery of the camera, and now lighting techniques, you really do have an uncommon talent for composition. All that’s left to be said is thank you for sharing and making my brief visit a most enjoyable one.

Kindest regards,
Mike

No worries, happy to tell you some of my techniques. Perhaps I should start a photography tips thread? No, I didn't use a black box. I used black cloth as the background. In regards to lighting I did not use a flash, I used a pair of cheap continuous lighting soft boxes. Although the picture of Pixie as a hatchling was taken with a flash.

She's a funny little snake. Definitely getting darker with age, as with most south-west carpet pythons, but I find she changes colours throughout the day. Usually darker during daylight hours, and gets a little lighter at night. I don't really notice the colour change with my other pythons though.

That has to be the best looking SWCP i have ever seen @Nero Egernia believe me the best of the best are the 1s that have replied to your thread not including me lol, the idea of a Photography section is a very good 1 and you should follow it up with @Stuart 1 of the most frustrating things for a lot of us is getting that 1 good pic with either the good old automatic el cheapo non SLR digital camera's, Phone Camera's and of course the well respected digital SLR with it's bevy of different lenses, which to us mere mortals seems to be a mine field of bad fuzzy out of focus pics that have us pulling out clumps of our hair, imagine if just 10% of us finally found out where we were going wrong with our picture taking.

ndemx0bziv-gif.322035

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling-

I would sincerely hope that one never needs to be a “well known, well respected figure with all the right connections” to post photos or experiences or anything else here, for forum readers here to appreciate a worthwhile post. Reputation should only gain you respect, not credit where credit is not due. Having said that, you do have my respect as both a photographer and as a forum contributor.

I agree with this but I sometimes get the impression otherwise. I've learnt that hobbyists can be a bit political, with everyone having their own little cliques.

Kayla, you really have gotten so good at producing portraiture style photographs. As I have said before, apart from your technical mastery of the camera, and now lighting techniques, you really do have an uncommon talent for composition. All that’s left to be said is thank you for sharing and making my brief visit a most enjoyable one.

Kindest regards,
Mike

Thanks Mike! It's always a pleasure sharing photos. I don't think I have great technical mastery of the camera as there's still many things I don't know, but the more photos I take, the more I learn what works and what doesn't.

That has to be the best looking SWCP i have ever seen @Nero Egernia believe me the best of the best are the 1s that have replied to your thread not including me lol, the idea of a Photography section is a very good 1 and you should follow it up with @Stuart 1 of the most frustrating things for a lot of us is getting that 1 good pic with either the good old automatic el cheapo non SLR digital camera's, Phone Camera's and of course the well respected digital SLR with it's bevy of different lenses, which to us mere mortals seems to be a mine field of bad fuzzy out of focus pics that have us pulling out clumps of our hair, imagine if just 10% of us finally found out where we were going wrong with our picture taking.

I'm not sure what you're asking, Ron? Anyway, I'll see if I can piece together a thread on some photography tips I've learnt. Although it might take me a while to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back