Please help identify

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkeysmum

Reaction score
We found this little guy stuck in one of those horrible sticky pest traps they have installed at work. no one was interested in helping us as it was friday night, so i have taken it on myself to research and care for it till all the goo is gone. It has smooth fine scales, olive green from head to tail with green/yellow belly. from all the pics i have looked at i am thinking it is a water python, the only problem is we found it in Jindabyne, NSW!!! i guess some careless local could have dumped it and maybe more out in the industreal area or it could have hitched a ride. sorry the pic isnt very good but i dont really want to get to touchy until i know for sure what it is.

Attachments

• snake.JPG
    snake.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 248
Use vegetable oil to get the goo of but be careful not to get get bitten.
Looks like a swamp snake which is not dangerous, unless you have a reaction.
But then i could be wrong

better still, ring a snake catcher to come and get it

Judging by the light colour and largish size of the lowest line of lateral scales, it looks remarkably like Austrelaps ramsayi (Highland Copperhead) to me. Caution: these are dangerously venomous.

i just had a quick look in my books at the Austrelaps ramsayi, and i totally agree with Vegez, defiantly some sort of elapid eitherway, so steer clear and call a snake catcher like sssnakeman says,

good luck :)

Definitely not a water python! Keep hands clear until it can be identified 100%.

But I did want to say, thank-you for taking it on yourself to look after the poor bugger, and thank-you again for taking the effort to get online and sign up to APS for the sake of your new scaly friend.

do these help? i see what u mean about the highland copperhead, wow dont know y that hadnt come up in all my searches. the differences i see are the scale sizes, my guy has very fine smooth ones and his snout is square not pointy, i couldnt see the one for the copperhead not very good pics. thanks for the quick responses, keep em coming.

oh and i cant seem to find a snake handler that cares. i dont just want to let it go cause its still got some goo on it and has a little trouble moving. the oil is a good trick but how do i hold it, its only the thickness of a pencil lol

Attachments

• snake2.JPG
    snake2.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 187
  • snake3.JPG
    snake3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 190
After looking at the other pics, I would definately say Alpine Copperhead Austrelaps ramsayi juvenile. Jindabyne is right in the middle of the distribution. Remember, as a youngster the features (head shape & scales) may look a bit different to a photograph of an adult specimen. Please be careful.

mmmm im sure someone on here can recomend a good snake catcher for you ???

ok cool thanks guys very helpful. will keep hand well clear and when its got a bit more of the sticky goo off will find a nice place out in the bush. mmm must say have enjoyed our little visit, mum even stopped freaking out. might have to get a slithery friend one day when my little girl is a bit older. thanks again

Have you contacted NSW Parks and Wildlife or WIRES? They might be able to find someone who can help you out.

I also want to say you are a kind hearted person for caring for this little guy. We more commonly see people joining up to show us a photo of a shovel killed snake and asking for ID.

I'm not handling it!! Lol not that silly ;) got it in a container when it couldn't move very well cause of the sticky then just tipped the container and coaxed with a pencil into the tank. Don't see the point in touching as it will only stress it out. It has been getting the sticky goo off on the log we put in there. I rang NPWS yesterday after everyone on here confirming it to be alpine copperhead, there is no snake handler only a guy who will relocate them if found in unwanted areas. Well we already did that. He told me just to keep doing what I have been doing cause it's still alive!! I will find somewhere far far away and release it when it get rid of a little more goo. Any help into how I should look after it till then would be great! Thanks again to all who have replied and commented on my thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back