Please help me, Im worried.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightsMistress

Not so new Member
Reaction score
There might be something wrong with my gorgeous golden-caramel male Eastern Bluey, ever since we got him he hasnt really eaten and he stays hidden under a log in the enclosure with our female. When we turn the heat lamp on, she comes out and he doesnt. She eats well and is active but when we pull him out of the log he crawls back inside. When it comes to feeding time, he tastes it and keeps licking like he enjoys it but doesnt actually eat it and then walks away from it. I havent seen him drink for a long time either. Is there something I can do to make sure he gets food into him or any advice? Or do I worry too much? I thought Brumation was over so I dont think it would be that. Please help me if you can.

Might pay to take him to the vet, our Bluey has just been acting similar to this and had really really smelly poo. The reptile vets examined his poo and found "budding yeast", he has had a couple of doses of medicine and is already a lot better. Also gave him a new UV light and gave is enclosure a really good clean out and disinfected it.

I have had similar issues with my shinglebacks. The female eats like a pig and is very outgoing and confident. My male is very shy and I had not seen him eat for several months. Whilst i did not ever see any evidence of aggression between them, I believe my female is dominant over the submissive male so he used to hide and not eat because of this. I also believe that if a lizard doesn't eat for a while, for whatever reason, they can sometimes "forget" how to eat. My shingleback used to lick his food too, but never eat. I found i had to put in two separate plates of food and put a log in between them so they couldn't see each other. I had to put the food plate infront of where he was laying, not put him down infront of the plate other wise he's just run away, and try lots of different food. I have since found out my boy loves banana and anything that sticks to it and with the above procedure, he's now eating very well and is more active. Maybe you have a similar situation? All blue tongues love banana and snails so if he refuses these than you may have a problem you need to take to the vets.

Most blueys cant resist egg yolk, try putting that on his food and feeding him separately to see if the response changes a bit.

We can get him eating but he rarely even comes out to bask. As we bought him and he was in a cage with two other adult blueys of which the sex's are unknown... I just wondered if maybe he could have been bullied by another male? And this is just a habit he developed in the other enclosure? Will deffinately have his poo checked for budding yeast though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back