Please help on wild snake breed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Estel

Reaction score
Hello there,

I was hoping that someone here could help me identify a breed of wild snake that I have come across in an area of dry bushland in the south-western suburbs of Sydney.

The snake is small, not much more than 30cm in length and only slightly thicker than a pencil. It is light brown (very similar in colour to topsoil making it difficult to spot) and the head is shaped in proportion to the body (ie. no protruding jaw from what I could see). I have twice made contact with this snake, the first some time ago (don’t remember what time of season) on a bicycle where I accidentally (non fatal) ran over it’s midsection. I would describe its reaction here as possibly aggressive, as it sprang up hitting its head on my pedal. The second was today whilst walking my dog. I stepped very near it, possibly just on it, and it reacted in a very skittish and lithe manner, appearing to struggle between the legs of my dog without showing aggression.

Red-belly Blacks are common in this area, and I have heard some rumours about one or two large brown snakes being seen. Some have suggested that it might be a baby brown, though these opinions are at best only guesses. Is it seasonal for baby browns to be out and about?

Anyway, I don’t know all that much about snakes and hope that someone here can help.

Cheers,

Estel.

Hi Estel,
Sorry to say but all the oppinions you get from this forum are going to be guesses at best also.It would be hard to identify a snake species without seeing an actual pic of it.To me it sounds like it may be a baby brown,but what info do I really have to go on? (it was a small dark brown snake that acted aggresively and had no protruding jaw).Sorry I cant be of any help :( if you see it again try and get some pics.Or perhaps look snake species up that inhabit your area and see if any look similar :D

Thanks for the quick response. I know my description was vague but I figured that it was worth a try. I couldn't find a picture of a baby brown anywhere on the net, but since you think it is a possibility I will pose a more detailed search.

I have heard somewhere that browns and blacks generally don't share habitats, though this could quite possibly be rubbish.

Anyway, thanks again. I should watch more carefully where I put my feet :) .

EDIT: Read your post again and it was a light brown snake, not dark. Not sure if this makes a difference.

Hi Estel

welcome to our site. You say the area is dry bushland, is there much cover and are there any creeks close by. Did you observe any markings on the side of the head and was the snake coiled up or moving when you first saw it. Also what time of day was it - was the snake basking in the sun or on the move.

8)

Thanks for the welcome.

I met the snake in an area of dry though uncut dense grass with some small trees about. There is a stale creek adjacent which only ever really flows after rain as it carries the run-off from the roads nearby. The snake was stretched out across the dry clay dirt path (I did not see if it was moving before I disturbed it) where it was well camouflaged. I was struck by the purity of its colour, light brown or tan and without any markings that I can remember. It was really quite a pretty thing once I got over the shock of seeing it thrash clumsily about my ankles. I have read that the baby common brown has distinct bands about its neck until around 3yrs, unless they are very pale I am quite certain that this snake did not have these.

Our meeting was about 3:00pm, still quite hot and just as the sun disappeared behind the evening rain-clouds.

Do you know of any such small snake roughly fitting this description, or is it more likely to have been a youngster of a larger variety?

Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Estel.

Hi Estel,
It is true that Brown snake babies are stronlgly banded, but that does not mean that all are. All snakes, especially adult vary colour tremendously. Eastern browns can be brown, green and even so dark, be mistaken with a black snake, if it weren't for there slim physique. Also Blacks and Browns do live together. Red Belly Black Snake are one of the Eastern Brown Snake biggest predators.
On to your snake, Did you notice any markings around the side of the head? It may have been a Swamp Snake or Yellow Faced Whip Snake. Both grow to around 60cm and are normally an olive colour, but can be brown, especilly prior to shedding their skin. These snakes have yellow markings flanking their heads, but I have caught individuals where this is almost absent.
These snake too inhabit the same areas as the Black and Brown and a photo would really help.

Try:-
Swamp Snake
http://www.kingsnake.com/oz/snakes/elapids/hsignata.htm

Yellow Faced Whip Snake
http://www.kingsnake.com/oz/snakes/elapids/dpsammophis.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back