Please help! Reg16 licence question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k1987

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been googling like crazy and cant find the info im looking for.

My question is:
If someone has a Reg16 (licence to keep fauna for educational purposes) can they also breed and sell the offspring of the animals under that licence in Western Australia?

I have a friend with her own business, she goes out to schools and stuff to teach kids about wildlife. Recently she discovered her Stimsons pythons had bred and then she was stuck with 3 babies. She was told that she had to either have them destroyed or had to give them away. Apparently she was told by someone that she wasn't allowed to sell them.
I'm curious now because I'm thinking of starting up something of my own, would be good to know if I can earn a little extra from breeding and selling, on top of the education side of things.

I've been reading up on it and found that people with just a CAT3 reptile keepers license can sell 1 clutch per species per year.

Is there anyone out there who understand the regulations in Western Australia ? Is it legal? Does anyone know where i can find the Reg16 licence conditions?

Thanks in advance!!
Kelly

You can not breed any animals in reg 16. It's very strict and you should house them individually. If they do breed it's a breach of license conditions.
Reg 16 animals can only be sold to other reg 16 holders also. Never to a licensed pet keeper.
There's no money in breeding. Stimi's are selling for $150, you have to keep them for three months after hatching. Carpets are going for $350. You might make a few dollars. But I never break even on costs of keeping.
Yes you can sell one clutch per year to a licensed dealer. Anymore and they expect you to pay $1000 for a farmers license. Though there are a loop hole or two for seasoned breeders.
The reg 16 license conditions are on the reg 16 license. That's the only place you find them. You can email licensing at DPaW and they'll reply with them.

Thanks so much for the fast reply!
I haven't got any of my own animals yet, but if I was interested in breeding/selling and educating I would need 2 separate licenses? and can't breed any animals that are on the reg16?

So there's only money in breeding less common species or breeding bulk amounts with a farmers license?
Now you've got me curious about those farmers license loopholes?

Yep two seperate licenses. I know people with both.
Not even much money in less common species. If you don't have a license then you're stuck with cat 3 animals and under. Nothing there will make you money. Our keepers list is so limited there isn't much left now days to turn a good profit. Unusual morphs is the only area you may make money. I think it's the same right across Australia. Most people will tell you that there's no money in breeding normal stock. BHP's still sell for $800 which is good $. But harder to breed.
If you want to make money. Breed mice and rats. If you can sell adult mice for $1.20 you'd be undercutting most private sellers. I buy a few hundred at a time.
The loop holes are do to with disposing of animals. You can sell one clutch per year. But you can give other clutches to a dealer. If you know a dealer that can work in your favour if you work out an agreement.
But back to breeding. Say you buy a pair of stimi's @ $300. A viv for $500. Heat cord $35, thermostat $100. Maybe a complete set up, food, electricity etc for $900 or $1000. (Stimi's are $150 this year. Next year they'll probably be less. My carpets were $450 last year and this year are $350-400) supply and demand... More people breeding brings the prices down.
You breed 8 stimi's. That's $1200. You have to heat, house and feed those 8 for three months before you can sell them. You have to get them feeding. Each dealer transfer is $50. So $1200-$400 brings you down to $800. Pinky mice for the babies are $1 each. For minimum 3 months that's probably $100. You won't sell them quickly and have them for a lot longer as well.
Most of us breed knowing we won't make money. It's a hobby. I gave away a few baby carpets this year to friends. I'd rather see them go to good homes than make money. However I have to sell some to try and reclaim the costs of breeding them. Breeding is it's own reward. It's unfortunate the days of making a good return are gone. When people are churning out a couple hundred hatchies each year the supply and demand scale is altered. Each year we are seeing more stock being bred than the previous year.
I do feel sorry for the people who over pay as they didn't know the current prices. Gumtree Perth usually gives you an idea if market rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back