Please ID These

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

porkosta

Reaction score
Hi I just got back from Fiji and was just wondering if anyone could ID these geckos and toads that I saw there?

The were out every night in the hundreds so just wondering if anyone knew what they were.

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00019.jpg
    DSC00019.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 162
  • P3140025.jpg
    P3140025.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00027.jpg
    DSC00027.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC00029.jpg
    DSC00029.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
i think it is an asian house gecko.. something common here in australia LOL

well it is officially listed by the queensland govournment as widespread and abundent...... common?

are you serious? I thought you were taking the piss haha

I'd have to agree though, it looks very much like a cane toad and asian house gecko. A good way to ID between frogs and toads in Australia is that toads have two bulging poison glands on the back of the head (I guess would be the most accurate location?) You can see something that resembles them in line with the forelimbs on your third picture. None of our frogs have them.

Yes I know it is widespread in Queensland, my point is that I don't live in Queensland and I have never seen any down where I live.... yet....

are you serious? I thought you were taking the piss haha

I'd have to agree though, it looks very much like a cane toad and asian house gecko. A good way to ID between frogs and toads in Australia is that toads have two bulging poison glands on the back of the head (I guess would be the most accurate location?) You can see something that resembles them in line with the forelimbs on your third picture. None of our frogs have them.

also 'most' frogs hop and 'most' toads walk. :)

Yes I know it is widespread in Queensland, my point is that I don't live in Queensland and I have never seen any down where I live.... yet....

They will never be that far down due to the fact that asian house geckos are killed by the cold.
I found a baby one in a pile of timber on a construction site in kempsey (mid north coast), it would of hitched a ride but any that do are killed in the winter.

when i went to figi i killed over a hundred cane toads with a golf stick on a path i found
never thought hitting a big fat toad could be so fun ha ha ha lol

More to the point..... Did you have fun in Fiji???? My partner and I are going over there in about 5 weeks time...

A good way to ID between frogs and toads in Australia is that toads have two bulging poison glands on the back of the head (I guess would be the most accurate location?) You can see something that resembles them in line with the forelimbs on your third picture. None of our frogs have them.

really obvious parotoid glands are found in several native frogs

Last edited:
The "frogs" are Cane Toads Rhinella marina and the geckos are either Gehyra sp or Hemidactylus, but from those pics I am not sure.

Incidently, Asian House Geckos are on the move, They are have been recorded living in Perth now, They would survive in Sydney..even in winter simply due to the warmth from houses

Cheers,
Scott

hahaha brings back memories. went to plantation island last year, had toad and crab races. and yes everyone gambled on the hahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back