Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the high possibility of them incurring injury during what would have been a rushed capture and then resulted in angry Lacies, it could be possible that they were injured.

It might be an idea to ask the police or go yourself and check with any hospital emergency wards ormedical centres that had any casualties come in with lacerations to their hands or arms that looked to possibly be animal inflicted (i.e. claws/teeth).

The culprits may even have been stupid enough to mention they go bitten by a goanna/lace monitor.

Already brought this up

Due to the high possibility of them incurring injury during what would have been a rushed capture and then resulted in angry Lacies, it could be possible that they were injured.

It might be an idea to ask the police or go yourself and check with any hospital emergency wards ormedical centres that had any casualties come in with lacerations to their hands or arms that looked to possibly be animal inflicted (i.e. claws/teeth).

The culprits may even have been stupid enough to mention they go bitten by a goanna/lace monitor.

I have already brought this point up but recieved no reply in relation to it.

As far as reptiles not being legally owned Cris....well not sure what you mean by that. We all lgeally own our anumals if they have been purchased and documented on the relevant books with the relevant departments. Yes they can be legally charged if proven to have obtained the reptiles illegally.

spilota_variegata at the start of every shift the Officers would go through a list of jobs given to them by the shift sargeant or officer in charge. It would be up to them what would be discussed.
I would personally have attempted to get an officer bring it up in their meeting, maybe even type out an A4 size poster explaining what had taken place (with some pics) and ask them to place it in the muster room notice board. Officers would generally take notice as it is different from the norm. You would be amazed at what gets around on the grape vine.

Can someone actually be charged with theft for stealing reptiles since they arnt legally owned?

I don’t know what you mean there mate, they are legally owned……………

I don’t know what you mean there mate, they are legally owned……………

Oops didnt make that very clear, i wasnt suggesting you were doing anything wrong, its just that they are protected wildlife and im 99% sure that you cant "own" them in the legal sence of the word.

Deano

Deano!
Iam sorry to hear about this theft, it seems that a lot of reptiles are stolen, i live on the sunshine coast in Q.L.D. and just last week a lot of snakes and lizards were stolen up here, anyway Deano i hope they are returned to you. All the best.. Kerry lj

Oops didnt make that very clear, i wasnt suggesting you were doing anything wrong, its just that they are protected wildlife and im 99% sure that you cant "own" them in the legal sence of the word.

Ok, no worries buddy..........

In regards to the theft of animals - no, they cannot be charged...

...you can be charged with stealing a dog because a specific offence "Steal Dog" has been added to legislation - unless there is a specific offence created then living things cannot be 'stolen' as such...therefore a charge of Larceny is impossible...

...however, there are a a number of other offences that can be charged in the circumstances very easily and the theft (and value) of the Lacies would be mentioned in the facts sheet and (in theory) taken into consideration at the time of sentencing...you may also have the potential of offences under animal cruelty legislation re: the injury to the remaining Lacie...

Deano, sorry for the late reply - will be PMing you soon...

Deano - Do you keep any of you lacies skin in a marked bag?? This is a note to everyone!! IT HAS HAPPENED TO SOMEONE i KNOW!! Kep at least one shed/piece of skin from all your herps in a labelled bag in a safe place and that way if any sus reptiles are found you can use DNA to claim them back legally.

Deano - Do you keep any of you lacies skin in a marked bag?? This is a note to everyone!! IT HAS HAPPENED TO SOMEONE i KNOW!! Kep at least one shed/piece of skin from all your herps in a labelled bag in a safe place and that way if any sus reptiles are found you can use DNA to claim them back legally.

No I don’t but that’s a good idea, thanks.

sorry to hear mate.what sort of a low life would break into some ones house and steal their pets any way all the best in getting them back.

it really gets on my nerves heing someone has stolen and injured a reptile it makes me scared and sick.

Thanks guys, I don’t think ill be getting them back though the police got back to me regarding the information I gave them and they apparently spoke to the guy and he doesn’t have it and there is nothing more the police can do. I have put my male up for sale now only because I don’t feel confident leaving my reptiles outside anymore, I have found a good home for him. This other guy that’s taking him has a nice big setup with plenty of other laceys for him to live with, im sad to see him go but I am happy that he is going to a good home.

hopefully you will get your confidance back up and get more at a later date

I most definitely will im just a bit paranoid at the moment but once I have the money to get more security ill start again. I have security in my house now and im saving to get cameras installed for the back yard, it won’t happen over night but once im satisfied ill start again.

Just read your circumstances..................SO SORRY!!!!!, yesterday i just found my mates accy.....who had escaped that day.........she lost her sister tragically only a month ago.....and dont think would have coped with another loss (she is elderly).....i am in S.A... any news down here will let you know......tears &more tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back