Plz Help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c_jei

Reaction score
Hi y'all! This is my first posting (feel proud) and I would just like to say that this site is fantastic. I have been looking for something like this for AGES. I am relatively new to the world of herping having just bought my beautiful little guy (coastal) about four months ago. I've only got time for a few quick questions 'cos I am starving and the smell of steak is just driving me wild so...

I was wondering whether I should hibernate my coastal at all. He is 2 1/2 years old, healthy, feeding extremely well (truth be told, he's a pig). He's shed twice since I've had him. Also, if i do hibernate what do I do about handling? Do I stop it? Or just reduce it for the colder months or what?

Second Q...cage size. I've read a couple other postings like this and I'm still not too sure on it. He's in a small one at the mo just under 3' long. When should I get a bigger one? How big should it be? I'm thinking of building one around July (once the tax cheque clears :D ) And want to know exactly what I'm doing before I start. I want this one to be the last enclosure I get for him. Whatz the max/min size?

Third Q...(I'm getting into this, but I'll make it the last promise) Lighting/heating. I want to install a fluro fitting. The special reptile bulb thingies...is that heating as well? If I get one do I still have to have a seperate heat source on during the day? Basically I would like to know everything there is to know about reptile enclosures...size,materials, accessories...

Thank-you for lasting all the way thru. I really appreciate it. L8er! :D

I'd suggest you dont feed or handle for 2-3 months while cooling down to about 20 degrees during the day and 16-18 degrees night.

With cage size I'd recommend a 4x2x2 enclosure as a minimum.

Fluro lighting gives off little heat,so another heat source will be needed.
You can use either BC (normal house hold incandescent globes etc) or ES (porcelain ceramic type emitters etc) fittings for heat source depending on what sort of bulb you prefer to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back