poison pythons

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by monolith, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monolith

    monolith Suspended Banned

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    my jungle python fluffy bit my friend, and it got relly infected. hes fine now, but does anyone no why this might of happend?
    the obvios resons, infected, allegergic reaction, maybe like komodo, the mouth has so much bacteria its poison
     
  2. Kersten

    Kersten Suspended Banned

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2006
    Messages:
    2,387
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Gladstone, QLD
    Most likely it's that the wound wasn't kept clean.
     
  3. NinaPeas

    NinaPeas Very Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    Messages:
    1,408
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Adelaide
    Sometimes tiny teeth can break off, and if they lodge in the skin without being removed, the wound can become infected.
     
  4. notechistiger

    notechistiger Subscriber Subscriber

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2008
    Messages:
    3,625
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Anstead, QLD.
    In addition to the possibility of teeth breaking off and the wound not being kept clean, it's possible that your friend's body didn't handle the digestive enzymes in the snake's saliva too well. It's not dangerous. Just keep the wound clean and your friend should be fine.
     
  5. cris

    cris Almost Legendary

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    8,027
    Likes Received:
    210
    Location:
    Brisbane
    As mentioned its likely to be bacteria and also likely to be some teeth left behind. After a few days you can just pop them out by squeezing.

    Komodo dragons are actually venomous and also have bacteria(just like every animal).
     
  6. RELLIK81

    RELLIK81 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Messages:
    880
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Adelaide
    im pretty sure komodo dragons aren't venomous...its just bacteria in their saliva.....i could be wrong but...
     
  7. benmcalpine

    benmcalpine Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    sydney
    My father is a paramedic and has attended a job where a coastal bit a young fella, he had a bad reaction to the enzymes and was hospitalised.
     
  8. cris

    cris Almost Legendary

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    8,027
    Likes Received:
    210
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Yeah it was only discovered a few years ago(2005?), most if not all monitors are venomous. Pythons however have no venom.

    check out www.venomdoc.com for more info.
     
  9. cris

    cris Almost Legendary

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Messages:
    8,027
    Likes Received:
    210
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Wow never heard of anything like that, what sort of symptoms did they have?
     
  10. benmcalpine

    benmcalpine Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2008
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    sydney
    From memory I think he had hives and a puffed up arm
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page