Poisonous or Venomous

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Does it annoy anyone else when snakes are described as "poisonous" or am I just too picky?

Venomous is correct :)

It is only through lack of education that the word poisonous is used when referring to snakes

Cheers
Sandfee :)

You are a little bit picky... I've picked up on that.... Was it the 'toad' thread where someone mentioned venoms/toxins - but when in relation to a toad it is most definitely toxins...

But I guess you can remember this - ALL venoms are poisons, but not all poisons are venoms....

By their very definition a venom is still poisonous (depending on who to) but its method of administration is different.

With Australian snakes, it would be possible to drink the venom of a taipan... So long you had NO cuts in your gums, tongue, cheeks, or anywhere the venom passes over - of course I wouldn't risk it!

i got told by a person doing a snake show in primery school the venomous is when it bites u and poisonous is if u bite it

Venom is a poisonous substance administered through a snake bite, therefore Australian Elapids are poisonous. it really doesn't matter we all know what the other means and anyone who cares is just being anal

Venom is a poisonous substance administered through a snake bite, therefore Australian Elapids are poisonous. it really doesn't matter we all know what the other means and anyone who cares is just being anal

Cloacal - it's cloacal...

Australian elapids are venomous, not poisonous. You could eat smother all over your skin, inhale (perhaps) an Australian elapid - but you could not inject one... Hmmmm or it's venom... Which incidentally, as I pointed out in a previous post, the venom is completely harmless when ingested, UNLESS you have a cut in your mouth....

And NO... I wouldn't try it... Because I could not guarantee I did not have a cut in my mouth!

Venom is a TOXIC substance administered through a bite/sting.
Poison is a TOXIC substance that is absorbed through the skin or ingested
Like you said I am admittedly being cloacal :)P) about it but it's just one of those silly things that annoys me

Venom is a TOXIC substance administered through a bite/sting.
Poison is a TOXIC substance that is absorbed through the skin or ingested
Like you said I am admittedly being cloacal :)P) about it but it's just one of those silly things that annoys me

Not really being fussy as it is what it is. They are two totally different things, then end result is you end up poisoned, but the method of which you get it is totally different and is not the same. Therefore you are not being anal. No different to people saying reptiles hibernate when they actually brumate, there is a difference between the two.

My understanding is this: venomous animals ACTIVELY use their venom to subdue their prey and in defence (e.g. venomous snakes, wasps, cone-shell, spiders, box jellyfish, etc.). Poisonous animals use their toxins / poisons (the same thing) PASSIVELY. Victims are affected when the animal is stood, eaten or by some form of contact with skin. (e.g. cane toads, pufferfish, stone-fish, poison-arrow frogs, etc.).

posted before, and considering that the word itself comes from the Latin for poison I think they are the same thing

They can't be the same thing....

For one - a venom is a poison, but a poison is not a venom...

Ok... How about this then... (so off topic, but maybe you need it to see the light) - ALL cactuses are succulents, but not all succulents are cactuses!

The method of administration is completely unique - there is no way that both are the same thing - and it's not a small technicality... You could rub poisonous inland taipan venom all over your body, so long your body has no cuts on it, the venom will not be able to poison you.

Now if you did the same thing with (let's say) bleach (very high concentration) you'd end up with chemical burns, inhalation problems, and probably death...

So how can they be the same thing?

Of course, if a snake had bleach venom - then the method of administration will dictate how someone had died - ie, they were poisoned (external, inhalation, ingestion) or envenomated....

OK slim, I should said "animal toxins" and "animal poisons". Better?

OK slim, I should said "animal toxins" and "animal poisons". Better?

Ummmmmm.... Well, ok, if you want.... I wasn't actually referring to your posts Michael... but never-the-less ;)

To be perfectly honest I thought your post summed it up nicely... The differences between administration... I was more referring to Steve1's post...

i think u just need to sort ur life out and get over it. if somthing that pointless gets under ur skin. u need to re think your love of herps and if your in it for the right reasons.

Something that also gets under my skin is people who can't work out which "your" or "you're" to use in which situation but that's a topic for another day ;). I welcome constructive input on this topic but please don't question my love of herps. They are mutually exclusive concepts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back