Pond liners or pre-made pond shells

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollyrabbitts42

Reaction score
Hello all I’m building an outdoor pond and am not sure wether to use a pond liner or an pre-made pond shell (not sure what they are called hope u know what I’m talking about [emoji1787]) I’m going to be putting 1-2 short necked Murray river turtles in the pond thanks in advance[emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pond liner for sure, this lets u set your own shape and depth :)

I've used both in the same project.
For a river and pond the liner works perfectly but in saying that the premade ponds u can buy takes all the time and effort out of the project if u want to do it on the cheap the liner is great if u have money the premade ponds r perfect u just need to dig a hole

Whatever you decide... the depth needs to be at least 90cm at the SHALLOWEST point. Anything less than this will be completely inadequate. Personally, you're better off digging your own hole in the ground and lining it with pond liner.

Only problem with liner I can think of is getting a filter in

I was thinking of putting in a waterfall do I need a filter as well ? [emoji848]

Whatever you decide... the depth needs to be at least 90cm at the SHALLOWEST point. Anything less than this will be completely inadequate. Personally, you're better off digging your own hole in the ground and lining it with pond liner.

I plan on my pond being a lot deeper so not a big deal [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if you started to build your pond.

You will need to use a EPDM pond liner, using black plastic just gives you headaches down the track. Use a skimmer to collect debris and put a biofalls in will enable you to make waterfalls and oxygenate the water at the same time.

What are the dimensions you plan?

Latest posts

Back