Poor Fella :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eww. That's kinda gross. Poor little guy.

makes all the spots where I've had ticks feel irritated

Is that common for a wild snake or would the parasites be on it because of an underlying reason? Survival of the fittest I guess.

That's a pretty old photo.

Yeah I know saw the date after I posted it, hope it's not a re-post :oops:

Glad they helped him, some of the comments made by people below the article make me wanna punch people :x

Is that common for a wild snake or would the parasites be on it because of an underlying reason? Survival of the fittest I guess.

A substantial number of snakes that I catch have one or two ticks and/ or skin worms, but to have that heavy an infestation is unusual and suggests a weakened state.

A substantial number of snakes that I catch have one or two ticks and/ or skin worms, but to have that heavy an infestation is unusual and suggests a weakened state.

Thanks :) I thought so. It is in human nature to interfere I guess.

Yeah I know saw the date after I posted it, hope it's not a re-post :oops:

Glad they helped him, some of the comments made by people below the article make me wanna punch people :x

why do so many people seem to think animals need such little respect and we're so much more important than anything else.

Last edited:
why do so many people seem to think animals need no respect and we're so much more important than anything else.

The comments weren't about not respecting the snake. I lot of people were commenting about the snake being taken from its environment and not being able to be released in the same spot and stuff like that. But as stated above it was more than likely sick to have that many parasites and possibly may have died without intervention.

why do so many people seem to think animals need no respect and we're so much more important than anything else.

Where do we draw the line though? Ticks and parasites need to feed, why do we think a wild python is more important than 100 ticks? We don't think it looks nice but that's nature and ecosystems require that sort of thing to happen. Survival of the fittest: why do humans try to play god and interfere?

The comments weren't about not respecting the snake. I lot of people were commenting about the snake being taken from its environment and not being able to be released in the same spot and stuff like that. But as stated above it was more than likely sick to have that many parasites and possibly may have died without intervention.

I was more talking about that Josies person

Where do we draw the line though? Ticks and parasites need to feed, why do we think a wild python is more important than 100 ticks? We don't think it looks nice but that's nature and ecosystems require that sort of thing to happen. Survival of the fittest: why do humans try to play god and interfere?

yes tick's and parasites need to feed, i think 1 wild python is more important than 100 ticks because pythons contribute more to our ecosystem then ticks, ticks are parasites that spread disease and kill many native reptiles and mammals. i don't see ticks doing anything positive to our ecosystem.

yes tick's and parasites need to feed, i think 1 wild python is more important than 100 ticks because pythons contribute more to our ecosystem then ticks, ticks are parasites that spread disease and kill many native reptiles and mammals. i don't see ticks doing anything positive to our ecosystem.

The Eco system keeps itself in balance and without one little part even seemingly insignificant it can get out of whack.

The Eco system keeps itself in balance and without one little part even seemingly insignificant it can get out of whack.

yes i know it keeps itself well balanced but killing 100 ticks to save one snake which was a 1 off situation will not off balance the ecosystem.

yes i know it keeps itself well balanced but killing 100 ticks to save one snake which was a 1 off situation will not off balance the ecosystem.

Very true and that is why I would have helped it as well.

It is common I've had numerous snakes come in covered in ticks, They are very very differcult for the snake to remove themselves because the ticks get under the scales and strangely enough I've sorted more coastals than any other variety of snake, in 2006 I removed 467 ticks from one individual, he was a very large snake and actually survived, and after several blood work ups, there was no other probs with him although it took nearly 7 months to get him eating..:)

and the ticks do drop off themselves once they are engorged, but that can take quite some time when feeding off snakes :)

It is common I've had numerous snakes come in covered in ticks, They are very very differcult for the snake to remove themselves because the ticks get under the scales and strangely enough I've sorted more coastals than any other variety of snake, in 2006 I removed 467 ticks from one individual, he was a very large snake and actually survived, and after several blood work ups, there was no other probs with him although it took nearly 7 months to get him eating..
467!!! U serious
and the ticks do drop off themselves once they are engorged, but that can take quite some time when feeding off snakes :)
Not surprised they take a while, drinking up to 600 times their body size in it

Yes haha serious poor dude, he was three mtrs and so calm, but I gathered that the ticks, more than half of them being paralysis ticks, had slowed him down a bit, it took just me coz no-one else wanted to get near such a big fella, a three hour session to get them all and he lay there the whole time, even for the ones on his head and round the cnrs of his eyes, he barely moved..yes they are a pain paralysis ticks, nearly killed two of my dogs last season and they came in on magpies, was totally shocked :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back