Porphyriacus and Colleti Temps

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm just after some info from the black snake people on what sort of temps you keep these two species at? I haven't really had any luck finding care sheets and stuff for them. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Hi Sax,

I provided a hotspot of 35C (50W halogen flood) and a cool end of 20C for the Collett's with a slightly cooler 32C and 15-20C for the RBB's. Over winter temps, I let both drop right down to 10-15C overnight, but provided the above spot temps for a few hours daily to both. 100 days of brumation without food and no recognisable loss of condition with either species. Below is a pic of my male's first Spring feed.

I have it on good authority that Colletts breed more regularly if allowed to cool significantly over the winter months.

Nice choice BTW:)!

Attachments

• First feed 2011 season 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    First feed 2011 season 006 [1600x1200].jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 80
  • First feed 2011 season 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    First feed 2011 season 007 [1600x1200].jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 80
sax i will transfer a copy of my Red Bellied Black snake Husbandry manual from memory stick to you next time i see you before or after the herp meet,but i may not be there tonight im with out transport today

Sounds almost identical with my set-up IV. Except this winter 2 of my heating globes blew and I haven't bothered replacing them :) The Colletts (aka red and black grass snake) has remained happy and content. My red belly on the other hand is getting some 2nd hand heat from another tank running a ceramic below it, but still gets some pretty chilly nights.

Ok great thanks fellas. IV that boy is beautiful.
Do you think the cooler than normal cool end is the most important thing? I've heard of them dying if they're overheated but your hot spots are pretty much what you'd give a carpet.
Yeah Rob I should have gotten it from you last time. Thanks man

Do you think the cooler than normal cool end is the most important thing? I've heard of them dying if they're overheated but your hot spots are pretty much what you'd give a carpet.
I'm assuming your referring to RBB's, Sax? My personal opinion is that they're pretty tough little beasties as long as you avoid inescapable heat. Locally it's pretty cold ATM and wild RBB's are still encountered daily (basking near brumation sites), but I've seen them actively hunting at low 30c air temp, so I'd image ground temps are even warmer. As you'd already be aware, its always good to offer a range of temps with many herps to aid proper thermoregulation, so I try to offer as wide a range as possible and am not to concerned with how low my low end is (if that makes sense:)), unless it's Scrubbies or something that requires humidity.

i caught a female black snake a couple weeks ago in penrith at shoopping centre near bunnings ,she had been active for a couple days according to the staff there. I did a search and found her,she had a belly full of striped marsh frogs
so thats well into the winter season

Hot spot of low 30's and a gradient with ambient.
Lower the length of heat during winter unless it's a hatchy or neonate.

Cheers
Mulgaaustralis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back