Portable vs split system air conditioning?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need to buy an air con unit, but not sure which type to get. Portable sounds more convenient, but have been told it wouldn't be adequate.

Today my house reached 44' and I had to leave and take the pets to my parents place because of the sheer heat, even the cats were panting like mad and vocalising.

The area the air con would be in is 25-30m2, so would need 3.5-4kw but would a portable unit work? or am I better off going split system?

Thanks in advance :)

Woah, glad you all didn't melt!

I can only speak of personal experience, am not sure what a portable is supposed to be able handle but every portable I've ever had, or my family had as a kid broke down or was not efficient from the start. I've had too many bad experiences to recommend a portable these days.

I love my split system lol

We have a couple of portable air conditioners at work. They're not much use. You're much better off with a split system.
They're fairly reasonably priced. Sparky I used to work with said you can easily get them installed under a grand. Never looked into it but I'd say that's around the right price.

Split system for sure
I work with aircons
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

An install should cost $600-800, stay away from Fujitsu and Daikin for the time being as they are using flammable refrigerants and your install cost may increase because some installers refuse to install them. A split will only do one room, don't expect it to cool multiple rooms. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Has anyone used those in tank mini fans and are they any good at keeping temps down?

Last edited:
Window rattlers are easy to install in a window or a door way. Can fill in area around them fwith Perspex or ply. New ones are cheap and ebay cheaper. Remember you are only trying to get room to 31, 32

Awesome, thanks heaps guys :)

I would go split system if you can! Having said that, my landlord would not allow me to put one in so I had to go portable. And mine works fantastically. I have a large room to cool (one plan lounge, dining and kitchen) and it does it with ease. It's a big 6kw one. On Friday it was 44 outside but a lovely 24 inside

what brand and model is it Carmsdragons?

Have worked in the industry as well......definitely split all the way. They r a lot more cost effective and affordable nowadays.

Samsung r very good as well.

mum got a portable one and is really disappointed, its noisy as hell and isnt half as efficient as the split system downstairs.

what brand and model is it Carmsdragons?
It's a polocool. Not sure of the model number but its the 6.0kw. The only other thing I did to mine was insulate the exhaust hose a bit. (I wrapped it in an old car window sunshade thing)

Thinking more split system, will just need to figure out the logistics for the part that sits outside. Will figure it out. But will steer clear of the portable I suppose..

Portables are absolutely useless especially in your typical Australian home (little insulation).
A box (Room Air Conditioner) is far better than a portable and about the same price if not cheaper.
Splits are better again but cost to get installed and are permanent.
Something like this
Kelvinator 2.6kW Window Box Air Conditioner KWH26CRC | Appliances Online |
will cool a room enough.
If you want to get the area down to 20C or so you can get a 6kW unit for about a grand.

Ouch. 44[SUP]o[/SUP] inside the house. If you are renting I reckon fhat is an issue of ‘non-liveability’ which you can help with by the Tenants’ Union of Queensland Inc(TUQ) http://www.tuq.org.au/ and the Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA) (which operate a Dispute Resolution Service). The place obviously needs insulation to reduce heat transfer between the inside and outside. This will aso help reduce power costs of heating in winter and cooling in summer. Good for you and and good for your animals.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Portables are absolutely useless especially in your typical Australian home (little insulation).
A box (Room Air Conditioner) is far better than a portable and about the same price if not cheaper.
Splits are better again but cost to get installed and are permanent.
Something like this
Kelvinator 2.6kW Window Box Air Conditioner KWH26CRC | Appliances Online |
will cool a room enough.
If you want to get the area down to 20C or so you can get a 6kW unit for about a grand.
Wow $1000 for a split system sounds cheap, I just bought a 7KW from an electrical wholesaler pretty cheap for $1600. My mate works there and apparently that was just above cost price for them.

I think he may have meant 1k for a 6kw window box unit Andy. Sounds like you got your split system at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back