Positive feedback on how I house my Olive & Woma hatchlings.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdawgg910

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I haven't been on here for a while, I have been quiet for a bit and while I have been off I now have a Woma and Olive python.

You may remember me from here. http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-reptile-discussion-42/2-snakes-dead-night-203931/

Anyway, I have done a fair bit of research, talked to people who breed these and gone with advice from people who OWN and breed them, not people who haven't had experience with them. I have checked your housing threads, as these are still 2012 November and December hatchlings and still quite small, I thought I'd get some opinions on how to house these snakes better.

Example, substrate being good or bad. Overkill of obstacles for the Olive python, housing for the olive too small, etc. (Olive's tub is a 52 litre. $7.50 at Bunnings, cheering!:D)

Here's my Male Uluru Woma who now has milky eyes, so I think he is shedding soon.

And this is my NT Olive python:

As you can see my Olive doesn't appear to have a respiratory infection. Nice and healthy and happy. :)

This is how I house them. Any constructive feedback would be great. If I am doing something terribly wrong, let me know instead of flaming me.:)

They also both have a digital thermo temp thingo, both sit between 28-32 throughout the day and night.

hmmm in pic 2 what is the drink bottle and black hose for (and don't tell me this is where you hide your bong) :) ..................................Ron

Why bother with the bottle and pipe for a hide when you can just use a flower pot base upside down as a hide. Simple to get the snake out and they can not get stuck at all. Other than that it all looks fine.
Cheers Cameron

hmmm in pic 2 what is the drink bottle and black hose for (and don't tell me this is where you hide your bong) :) ..................................Ron

Shhhh! I grew up on the Gold Coast! :p

as for the Woma getting stuck, but right now he slides through it, even after eating a fuzzie. :) The bottle is also cut open fully with the top pushed further into the bottle, so he can't get completely stuck inside without easy access, but the pot idea sounds like a better idea. (Y)

I would possibly look at not stacking the two on top of each other as the heat from the top tub may overheat the bottom tub. Also it looks like your woma may be coming up to shed. The only other thing is the water container appears to be plastic which may get tipped over easily so you could maybe use something like a ceramic bowl.

Remove all objects with sticky tape. Unless you want your snake seriously hurt.

Use a much much smaller water bowl

Last edited by a moderator:
I used cardboard boxes for my hatchy's hides. They were free and disposable. What are you using to heat the click clacks? If using heat mats I wouldn't stack them on top of each other.

Get rid of all the tape. Snakes and tape don't mix.

Last edited:
Keep it very basic.
Set the olive up like the woma with the PVC perches. No sticky tape.
Clear hides are a waste of time. Get rid of them.
As already suggested small cardboard boxes or upside down pots/dishes with holes cut for entry/exit.
They like to feel secure. So a box that three sides of the snakes body is touching is great. Or stuff some scrunched newspaper in the hide to make it smaller.

Cheers all, will get pots and get rid of my screwier obstacle course and replace with PVC. Also will stack them next to each other rather than on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back