Possible Cure For Cane Toad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that will not "cure" the cane toad problem, just make some weak. what about all the other toads that dont get a scare.

thats it. everything else so far effected something other than toads, we could repeat past mistakes and have got rid of them already at the cost of our native frogs

Having a weaker toad is just going to make it easyer for native snakes to catch them unless they can inhance it to a point that it kills them this isent a cure but where geting closer to an answer

I think the "Daughterless gene" is the only real option at the moment. Any product that has to be applied to the toads wont work, we can't possibly 'scare' every toadlet in every waterhole, and the ones that are not affected will just repopulate the areas that are.

about time.
i wonder how potent the affected toads venom would be?

would be interesting if if causes stronger or weaker venom

So maybe it is something that could be implemented at the same time as another attempt

So maybe it is something that could be implemented at the same time as another attempt

oh nice, thats a good idea, perhaps that and the daughterless gene will be more effective in either conroling or erradicating....
but the sad fact in the case of toads, is nature always has a way to get around something and it's been proven time and time again

oh nice, thats a good idea, perhaps that and the daughterless gene will be more effective in either conroling or erradicating....
but the sad fact in the case of toads, is nature always has a way to get around something and it's been proven time and time again

If it were me, I'd definitely not use this method with the Daughterless gene method. If I were controlling toads with the gene, I would want them to be breeding successfully, spreading the gene throughout the population.

Weak toads are not what I'd want when I'm trying to spread a gene.

abbott75"

That daughterless gene.....does the affect cause the sex of tadpols to be male?

abbott75"

That daughterless gene.....does the affect cause the sex of tadpols to be male?

Yup, if it works, there will be less and less females in every generation and 'hopefully' they will breed themselves out.

i really hope that does work...

do you know of any key areas in which they plan to deploy the gene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back