Possible gravid Central Netted Dragon.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptalica

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Could well possibly be the first time I have had a gravid reptile and seeking some general advice and tips on what to do from here on until she lays, again once I confirm she is gravid.

At present I have 7 Central Netted's who have co-habitated well now over recent months as my colony has grown from initially 3 to now 7. I have observed all the usual signs: arm waving, head bobbing and biting of the neck etc and given their mating is over in a blink of an eyelid I haven't been privy to any obvious mating.

Given I think 1, maybe 2 of the girls are gravid what would be the suggestions from here on. I have mixed up a tray of vermiculite and desert sand and placed it in an area of the enclosure so it will give them a chance to burrow and lay if necessary.

Just confirming would vermiculite and desert sand go ok together mixed with a % of water to create an adequate base?

I'm also none too sure of the time frame between becoming gravid and when I may expect her to lay.

As I said I am a novice to the breeding side and would appreciate any advice from dragon breeders or breeders in general who has experience as I'm a stickler for making sure I do things right to ensure success.

Cheers and thanks all.

Did you end up having any clutches from your netteds?

Hi there jacevy. Not yet although I have one in particular that is ready to explode. She has been agitated the past 2-3 days. I set up a nesting box for her a couple of weeks ago and the last few days think I had it in the wrong spot i.e. away from the warmth. Since my partner moved it back under the warmth with a hide she has been under there.

I would expect the next 24-48 hours will see some action.

Incubator set up but think I have a crook humidity gauge. Over water/vermiculite method and only 30% humidity so I will track down a new gauge and go from there.

Great to hear.
I remember you posting a while ago and was wondering how you went.

Yeah good thanks. Reckon we will see something shortly which is pleasing as his is my first time breeding in any form of reptile keeping. Made sure I was prepared. She is clearly agitated but the rest of the netted's r accepting and don't appear to be bothered at all. Once she lays, I'll mark the eggs and then place str8 into my set up.

Here's hoping. The prep is done now for an ounce of luck.

I don't bother with lay boxes for mine as one time my female got stuck behind it while in labour, instead now I just have the cool end of the enclosure filled with 12cm+ of damp, compacted sand.

Last edited:
Just an update. My gravid girl dropped her bundle last night and did a mighty fine job hiding the eggs in the sand. Took us a while to find them but it was like finding gold given it was our first foray into breeding.

The jackpot was 6 pristine looking eggs which I understand is a solid return for a netted.

The eggs were marked and transferred into a sistema type container and popped into a waiting oven at around 30.5 degrees as near maximum humidity.

Going to be an anxious but long wait for these to develop and see what eventuates. Will post pics once I upload a few.

Last edited:
Just an update. My gravid girl dropped her bundle last night and did a mighty fine job hiding the eggs in the sand. Took us a while to find them but it was like finding gold given it was our first foray into breeding.

He jackpot was 6 pristine looking eggs which I understand is a solid return for a netted.

The eggs were marked and transferred into a sistema type type container and popped into a waiting oven at around 30.5 degrees as near maximum humidity.

Going to be an anxious but long wait for these to develop and see what eventuates. Will post pics once I upload a few.

Thats great news mate, congrats.

6 eggs is indeed a nice effort, anything over 4 is good for this species imo, although I did get 9 out of a clutch last season lol

Although I am far from an expert I have bred this species a few times now so if you ever have any questions please feel free to send me a PM :)

I wish you the best of luck

He jackpot was 6 pristine looking eggs which I understand is a solid return for a netted.

The eggs were marked and transferred into a sistema type type container and popped into a waiting oven at around 30.5 degrees as near maximum humidity.

Very exciting... Best of luck with the incubation

I'd assume remove them from the incubator tub and place in a hatchy tub/rack and initiate feeding with pinhead crix/greens the usual run of the mill, adequate uv and also make sure crix/food items r dusted with calcium powder daily and good multivitamin 2-3 times a week.

This is the critical period for any young reptile.

Thanks they haven't eaten yet it's been 1 day is that normal? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gando They need time to use what's left of the yolk from the egg, keep fresh water in there and offer crickets around day 2-3 mine usually eat when there around 5 days old

Does anyone know what to do when the eggs hatch??

Put them onto damp paper towel for about 12 hours then straight into a rearing tub (same temp gradient as adults), I offer mine water straight away then food after 4 days. Normally they wont accept food for at least 3-4 days, sometimes up to a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back