possible neurological disease in my bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulina

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a female Bredli, 7 years old who has developed muscle contraction starting from the middle of her body and has travelled down her tail.
The vet is thinking neurological as an xray showed her spine to be fine. I have her on antibiotics and anti inflamatory pain relief but the vet doesnt hold out much hope.
Has anyone else known of something like this and if so, what was the outcome?

Never seen it ha[[en to a python but I have seen it happen to many Beardies where they lose the use of their legs and their tail looks as if it has been stuck between 2 moving cogs...not a pretty sight :( I hope your girl gets better!!!

yes mate i have had this with a diamond python... i ended up 'bricking it'. Its very disheartening to see your python contract uncontrollably.Hopefully yours will pull though.

yes mate i have had this with a diamond python... Its very disheartening to see your python contract uncontrollably.Hopefully yours will pull though.

I am so sorry to hear....I hate it when reptiles get these types of diseases...it really hurts you to watch them. My BD got mouth cancer and she died from it when I was 11yrs old. It killed me for months realizing I lost her :'( Once again I hope your bredli girl pulls through!

(I took out the 'bricking it' part because I didn't want it to sound like "I'm so sorry to hear that you bricked your diamond python")

neurological issues are usually related to one of three things

1.infection

2.toxins

3.metabolic defect/deficiencys

it could also be trauma to the head or spine,or overheating

cheers shaun

I had a Diamond do this but in the neck, seemed to get worse pretty rapidly and he was acting like he was going to fall and trying to brace himself even when on the ground. Wasn't a good thing to see and I had to put him down. Hopefully its not the same and your python comes good.

I had a Diamond do this but in the neck, seemed to get worse pretty rapidly and he was acting like he was going to fall and trying to brace himself even when on the ground. Wasn't a good thing to see and I had to put him down. Hopefully its not the same and your python comes good.

Diamonds can suffer from Diamond Python Syndrome (DPS)

it's only Diamond Pythons that suffer from it...

it causes muscle and bone problems and there is no cure

cheers shaun

cheers shaun

Unfortunately thats incorrect Shaun. A member on here has had experience with other Morelia species suffering and then being diagnosed with DPS after sharing an enclosure with a Diamond affected by DPS.

I'll find the thread for you and update this post.

EDIT:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-65233/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-part-2-a-135920/

Serpenttongue, my sincere apologies if this brings back bad memories.

Last edited:

cheers shaun
with sniper on this one , ive heard that it can be a problem with all morelia just that diamonds are by far the worse affected

I am aware of DPS however I was relating to the original topic, my Diamond showed similar symptoms, I had him x-rayed and showed no bone issues at all. Antibiotics were not helping and he deteriorated quickly. I don't know if mine was DPS or something else.
From my understanding most cases of DPS involve weakening of bones, it doesn't start with nuero issues. I didn't care to spend the money on an autopsy which wouldn't bring my pet back anyways. In retrospect after a LOT of research i possibly was to blame for overheating.. due to poor advise.

DPS symptoms have been found in other pythons, Diamonds don't all die from DPS, it's 100% plausible my python had something else and similar to this.

Unfortunately thats incorrect Shaun. A member on here has had experience with other Morelia species suffering and then being diagnosed with DPS after sharing an enclosure with a Diamond affected by DPS.

I'll find the thread for you and update this post.

EDIT:
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-65233/
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/experiences-dps-part-2-a-135920/

Serpenttongue, my sincere apologies if this brings back bad memories.

thanks for the information mate

are the examples given in the link the " only " recorded case of it crossing over into other Morelia ?

or have there been many cases of it crossing sub species ?

i appreciate all the information you guys in Australia give us over sea's keepers,on whats happening in the Morelia Motherland

cheers,shaun

- - - Updated - - -

with sniper on this one , ive heard that it can be a problem with all morelia just that diamonds are by far the worse affected

could you please point me in the direction of further information,on other sub species and DPS ?

cheers shaun

- - - Updated - - -

DPS symptoms have been found in other pythons, Diamonds don't all die from DPS,

what treatment was given that cured the DPS mate ?

any information you could point me towards would be most appreciated

cheers shaun

Shaun, a quick search through this forum should provide you with a fair amount of info on the subject. I know it's not as good as giving you the results but unfortunately google provides more info but I would be breaching site rules by posting the links.

Sorry for the hassle

Shaun, a quick search through this forum should provide you with a fair amount of info on the subject. I know it's not as good as giving you the results but unfortunately google provides more info but I would be breaching site rules by posting the links.

Sorry for the hassle

no worries mate

thanks for the info.....

i'll get on with tracking it all down

cheers shaun

P.S.would you sending the links in a pm be ok with management ?

if so feel free to get in touch mate

Thanks for the responses. She has been on antibiotics for two weeks and I have been massaging her regularly and yesterday while massaging she passed urine and faeces which were very yellow and like rocks. Since her muscles have relaxed a little. She still has swelling at her lower end and I will continue to massage her and see if she can pass anything else. This makes me think that she possibly was being poisoned by retaining urine and faeces. I'm not giving up on her yet cause she is such a beautiful and placid girl. Will let you know what happens.

Just saw this, a few months ago I had similar issues with a 7ft male diamond. On touch would throw himself around and coil weirdly from mid body. Hadn't eaten in 4 mths since cooling. Ended up passing rock hard feaces and was fine about a week later. Hope this is similar to what is wrong with yours

a good way to deal with constipation is.....

dose the prey item with mineral oil or magnesium oxide ( milk of magnesia)...

simply inject the prey item with 1ml per kilo of snake body weight

its gets reffered to as rat/mouse lax,due to it's efficieny to move a constipated snake

you can also put the oil or magnesium oxide directly into the snake using a stomach tube

cheers shaun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back