Power Outage! South Coast Winter

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal_Cleo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've woken up to find the power is out at my house, my partner seems to think it's scheduled maintainence as it was working a couple of hours ago (and yes I've checked the power box).

Anyway, I'm concerned about my 9 month old coastal python. Her enclosure has dropped to 17.9° and is slowly decreasing (it's only 11° outside). Not sure how long the power will be out, hopefully only a few hours at most but I'm worried about how long my girl will be able to cope in these conditions.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is the cold temperature harming my young coastal? I've draped a blanket over the enclosure to try and insulate any heat left inside, she's in a click clack inside a larger enclosure.

She should be fine for a period of time, keeping her warm is probably a good idea. It's only extremely cold temperatures or prolonged exposure to very cold temperatures that will harm them.

Has she been fed recently to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has she been fed recently to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was last fed on Sunday night.

The power was out for 6 hours, her tank got down to 15°!! It's back up to 32° in her warm end but she hasn't come out of her hide (usually spends a lot of time out climbing on the dowel or on the fake leaves). Hoping the cold didn't upset her too much

If you want you can put a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel (so it doesn't get to hot) and place it on a side of the click clack for some warmth

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks that's a great suggestion!

Thankfully the power is back on (after 6 hours!!) I had to head out for a few hours so there wasn't a lot I could do although I was stressing about her all day. I'll know to use the hot water bottle trick if I find myself in this predicament again.

Cheers :)

She should be fine for a period of time, keeping her warm is probably a good idea. It's only extremely cold temperatures or prolonged exposure to very cold temperatures that will harm them.

Glad to know a few hours of the cold (although not ideal) wasn't too damaging. Thanks for your reply :)

Just a thought -i check the BOM for the actual temps in the region of their natural range.
For my coastal I use Brisbane Qld which at the moment is 21 down to 14 over night- a low of 12 on thursday and friday-
they can deal with this in the wild.
Alice springs for my bredli -a balmy 1 deg most of this week up to to a not hot of 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back