Pretzel regurgitated meal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put silicone into the enclosure anywhere near within 24 hours of applying it. Partly because you don't want the snake smearing it around, not that that's a big issue, and mostly because it releases acetic acid (vinegar) while curing. The enclosure is by its nature and namesake enclosed, and if you want to imagine what it would be like, open a jar of vinegar and take a big sniff of acetic acid into your lungs. It will make you feel a bit irritated, but imagine being in a box with that and unable to escape.

In a situation like this I'd personally either just place it down on the floor of the enclosure and put the tile on top (a small snake shouldn't be able to move it and it shouldn't be a disaster if he somehow did) or put it underneath the glass, or you might think of something else. But, I personally would never use a glass enclosure for various reasons, and either way I'd just use this as an emergency fix while coming up with a more permanent solution.

I wouldn't put silicone into the enclosure anywhere near within 24 hours of applying it. Partly because you don't want the snake smearing it around, not that that's a big issue, and mostly because it releases acetic acid (vinegar) while curing. The enclosure is by its nature and namesake enclosed, and if you want to imagine what it would be like, open a jar of vinegar and take a big sniff of acetic acid into your lungs. It will make you feel a bit irritated, but imagine being in a box with that and unable to escape.

In a situation like this I'd personally either just place it down on the floor of the enclosure and put the tile on top (a small snake shouldn't be able to move it and it shouldn't be a disaster if he somehow did) or put it underneath the glass, or you might think of something else. But, I personally would never use a glass enclosure for various reasons, and either way I'd just use this as an emergency fix while coming up with a more permanent solution.
Thanks for all your help. I will do as you suggested for the moment.

I actually noticed my local pet shop where I got my heat cord has the reptile one viv's - its $150 for a 60x45x45 which seems very reasonable - and would be appropriate for my python even when he's an adult. So I may look at investing in this over the next few months.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help. I will do as you suggested for the moment.

I actually noticed my local pet shop where I got my heat cord has the reptile one viv's - its $150 for a 60x45x45 which seems very reasonable - and would be appropriate for my python even when he's an adult. So I may look at investing in this over the next few months.
I would recommend that move!

I can also position the base of my snakes climbing branch ontop of part of the tile, this should mean he definitely won't be able to push the tile off.

Just buy another heat mat. I only use Exo-Terra and have never had an issue.

Ok so I've now got a heat tile setup in the enclosure. I found an old post here which said to use coreflute and wind the cord through before putting the tile ontop so I did that. I've run the cord about 3/4 of the length of the enclosure and 1/2 the width so he will be able to have a good heat gradient.

I also got a tile which is only 5cm smaller than the length of the enclosure, so with the added bulk of the fake rock background it fits in super snug - Pretzel won't be able to push it anywhere, he would be able to even if he was double his current size (I can't move it without removing the whole fake background).

Its heating up now but so far things are looking good, the thermostat is reading the exact same as the laser thermometer.

Ok so I've now got a heat tile setup in the enclosure. I found an old post here which said to use coreflute and wind the cord through before putting the tile ontop so I did that. I've run the cord about 3/4 of the length of the enclosure and 1/2 the width so he will be able to have a good heat gradient.

I also got a tile which is only 5cm smaller than the length of the enclosure, so with the added bulk of the fake rock background it fits in super snug - Pretzel won't be able to push it anywhere, he would be able to even if he was double his current size (I can't move it without removing the whole fake background).

Its heating up now but so far things are looking good, the thermostat is reading the exact same as the laser thermometer.
Awesome :)

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Well done :)
So far so good, the temperature has been stable between 34 and 35 for nearly 24hrs.

I've also noticed that Pretzel has been out and about a little bit more since the change which seems like a really positive thing.

So far so good, the temperature has been stable between 34 and 35 for nearly 24hrs.

I've also noticed that Pretzel has been out and about a little bit more since the change which seems like a really positive thing.

Unless he's preparing to slough (he should have finished by now) it's not a good thing. You may think that an active snake is a happy snake, but that's not usually the case. A snake which is coming up for a slough should generally sit still, and if everything is good that's what they'll do. If they are moving around it means there is a problem and they're either trying to get away from it or trying to find a place they like more because they don't like where they are or they've been disturbed and just generally don't feel secure, or something similar. They shouldn't be generally exploring or looking for prey or whatever when they are coming up for a slough. Some snakes in perfect health in perfect condition will literally not move for weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it's not to say you need to be worried, he is probably just disturbed by the change of environment and the perceived need to explore and learn about the new environment is greater than the need to sit still and rest while preparing to slough, but 'being active' isn't 'good'. Very often, activity is a sign of a problem. Sometimes it's a good thing, like, if an adult male is never active during mating season something is wrong with him; a healthy adult male at that time of year should be spending plenty of time searching for girls. If a person was up running around all night you wouldn't say it was a good sign, you'd say they had insomnia or some chemical imbalance or there was something going on to bother them.

Anyway, a bit of disturbance isn't a big deal, it was necessary, and he's probably just checking the new place out :) He should slough soon. Good job on getting the heating sorted out :) A hot end of 34-35 is great as long as he has the option to cool down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back